Sign in to follow this  
Paisley

SA Radio Stations Application

Gary James

Hi Zonnenshine,

As I mentioned on AmaRadio.co.za, I deleted your comment (it's the only one that I have deleted so far) because it said there was a problem, but you didn't leave any way for me to contact you to follow up. While I do appreciate any feedback (both positive and negative), negative feedback which does not provide any details or a way to get in touch with the person who reported the problem is not useful. I actually assumed that you were just being negative, which is why I deleted the comment. I eventually tracked down this forum on Google, and I'm not very glad to be in touch with you.

I'm VERY grateful that you installed the latest version, and I'm glad to hear that all is now working properly. Thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate that. If the radio went quiet for a few seconds at one point that would have been a connectivity issue - either the station itself dropped its feed momentarily, or your connection to the station (via AmaRadio) dropped momentarily. I can increase the internal buffer from 10 seconds to 30 seconds, that might alleviate this sort of problem in the future.

Please let me know if you have any other input, thank you so much for your time..

- - - - - - - - - -

Hi Natalie,

Aah, the age old PC vs Mac debate :). I've never really considered moving to Mac, primarily because I make a living building software, and 99% of the users I meet still use Windows. I've been quite surprised how many Mac users have contacted me asking for a Mac version of AmaRadio. I've only had 1 linux user so far. I expected more linux and fewer Mac users, so perhaps Mac is gaining ground..

My other concern with Mac is that there are so few developers bothering to support it. I've thought about buying a Mac laptop and installing Windows onto it, but that sort of defeats the point. For the same price I could get a much more powerful PC. But if the next MS OS is any worse than Vista I might rethink this.. I loved XP, it's incredibly solid and a joy to develop software for. Anyway, we'll see... Thanks for the comment..

- - - - - - - - - -

Hi Island Life,

Not sure I understand.. Do you mean that it would be nice if we could display the name of the song that is currently playing?

Best Regards,

Gary.

Gary James

AmaRadio.co.za

Gary James

Hi Harry, I hope you're still watching this thread..

I thought of something this morning which might interest you.. You mentioned earlier that you had disabled certain spyware applications and other programs from starting when you start your computer.

I'm not sure how you're doing this, but my experience has been that 99% of the "free programs" that offer to do this for you are quite dangerous - this could be contributing to the problems that you described.

I can highly recommend a tool called AutoRuns. The interface is a little bit technical, but it's very safe to use and very solid. It was built by Mark Russinovich from SysInternals, which was taken over by Microsoft a year or two ago. You can download it from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx.

Regards,

Gary.

Gary James

AmaRadio.co.za

Paisley

I downloaded the latest one. Even scan it with 2 different anti-virus software and spyware software. Used it to listen to different stations and still no crash or hanging computer. Please I am not even in the IT business. I cannot understand what the people did wrong. It works fine for me.

Island Life

Gary - Yes, that's what I meant. Eg. if you stream Highveld or KFM directly then you can click on the playlist which lists the last 10 songs played. Not being in SA anymore, I found this a great feature to see the artist names or song titles, particularly of local artists who we don't get here. It would be great if your software could display the playlists as well.

Rustig - I'm with you. I also don't have a clue about IT. I'm at the level where I can turn the PC on and turn it off! The stuff Harry is talking about is double Dutch to me, I don't know what the heck AVG is. But I clicked on the 1.05 version using the link given here, followed the instructions and it works fine. In fact I'm listening right now.

Harry

Gary,

I have variously used CCleaner, Spybot and AdAware to clean out Adware/Spyware and I run AVG as my main Anti-virus with Zonealarm to protect me against my own idiocy. I used to have Norton/Symantec/McAfee but have removed it with great trouble and will not go back. Microsoft's own Antivirus let me down, so I have disabled it. I'm a little uneasy running my system on Russian anti-virus s/w (AVG) but I guess it is a brave new world. Its desire to pre-scan every document I try to generate in Word is frustrating, but I know there is a fix and have used it. It's just that the "fix" becomes "unfixed" every now and then.

I'm not using any startup manager beyond XPs own stuff, but I've been looking to do so.

I'll take alook at Sysinternals.

Thanks for the advice.

Zonnenshine

Hey Harry,

AVG is a really good program. We had it on our computer back in South Africa and never picked up any viruses. Here my hubby had another virus program on and our computer crashed in January because of Trojans. The guy at the computer repair place loaded AVG for us and said that they use it on their systems. Our computer has been virus free since January (I know only 3 odd months but you know :) ) We used Spyware Terminator. It is a really great program that gets rid of spyware and you can set it to block any spyware that might pop up without you knowing - it even picks up Trojans if you should have any ...

Anyhow ... I know it is off topic concerning the Radio thing. :P

Gary James

Hi Rustig and Island Life,

Thank you both for trying our AmaRadio, and for the encouraging comments, much appreciated! I'm really glad that it seems we have ironed out whatever problems there may have been in the earlier versions. Please let me know if you think of any ways in which we can improve the software..

Hi Harry and Zonnenshine,

I can recommend AVG. The interface is clunky, but it works really well. I've been using it for a number of years now without any problems. I'd strongly recommend that everyone stays away from Norton products. They used to be fantastic up until the mid 1990's, but these days I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. I'm also quite paranoid about all of these free "anti-spyware" tools and "registry cleaners" and "PC optimizers" etc etc. They tend to create way more problems than they solve in my opinion. By all means use a spyware checker, just make sure it's reputable.

Please keep the feedback coming everyone.. I'm releasing AmaRadio 1.06 within the next 20 minutes, I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks..

Best Regards,

Gary.

Edited by Gary James

Zonnenshine

Gary, I would appreciate it if you could add Jacaranda 94.2 - You have the highveld stream (94.7) but I do prefer the one from Gauteng because that is what I listened to from their site (www.jacarandafm.com). I am also having trouble with the recording feature. I was trying to record a program on RSG and when I went to listen to it the file was 0mb and didn't work at all. Just

think you might want to double check it to make sure it works properly.

Hendie

Harry! So what more would it take to convince you to move to Mac as well? ;) No more antivirus programs (except as a courtesy to unfortunate Windows users, and prevent infected incoming emails to be passed on to them), no more ZoneAlarm or Norton! My only regret is that I have not made the move YEARS ago! You really should keep a Mac in mind whenever you're in the market for a new computer!

Harry

Hendie,

I had to go help a friend with her PC and network today. It was simply impossible to find any ofthe regular management tools on that system. Today convinced me that Mac is not for me. Nothing was where I expected it. Nothing I looked for could be found....simple things, like changing a darned password or selecting/setting the sharing of directories. The thing is a pestilence man! ...and I was the original Mac freak in the 80's...en kyk nou!

Hendie

Dis van MS kondisionering! Ek gee toe, dinge is op ander plekke, maar as jy eers die Mac manier van dink aangeleer het, is dit net soveel meer intuïtief. Dit werk net soos mens verwag dit moet. Het jy dan verwag daar sou geen leerkurwe wees nie? Kan dít amper nie glo nie! ;)