Sign in to follow this  
Paisley

SA Radio Stations Application

Paisley

I found this little application. It combines all major South African Radio Stations into one piece of software. I do not know how many people listen to internet radio.

Here is the link.

AmaRadio

Harry

I tried it.

1. It works really badly

2. Has no controls

3. Hung my computer totally

4. Even Alt-CTL-Delete got me nowhere

I had to shut my PC down hard

It has been removed from my system and will never be put on there again.

It was dumb of me to try.

Let that be a lesson to all.

Adele

Harry - DITTO!

Not impressed at all. Besides it does not even have ECR FM. (East Coast Radio)

So it to is gone from my system to and will not be put back! Ouch hard lesson to learn!

Zonnenshine

I was really happy about the fact that I could listen to all those radio stations from one application ... and I have the same problem! I tried it twice and both times it had disasterous consequences! I had to pull out the power cord of the computer because no matter what I tried to shut it down, it just wouldn't. It was frozen. It would have been a sweet application IF IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!! :blink:

Paisley

I do aplogise gentlemen! I did not have any problems. I run Windows Vista which in itself is a pain in the backside. I hope I did not cause any trouble. It is only a few weeks old.

:):blink:

Zonnenshine

We have XP ... hmm ... nothing too serious just froze the computer to a point where nothing worked to try and end the program or shut the computer down.

Adele
I do aplogise gentlemen!

This alone is trouble Rustig! :);):lol::blink:

It would have been a great application and although it froze me over, I was able to eventually get my Task Manager box up to stop the program running. I use XP and it seems this program just used up all my system resources to the point that nothing worked.

Paisley

OOohh genade! I think after this I may have to reconsider my move to Canada. I will be safer in Afghandistan. No angry mob waiting for me at airport.

:cry::oops:

Joshua

Hey there guys my first post woot!

Just thought I'd contribute my bit here, if you want to stream SA radio try AntRadio they have quite a selection, also Adele you can stream from ECR from here ECR Streaming .

Ok think I got the HTML codes right, If there is anything else I can help with just give me a shout!

Cheers

Josh

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
OOohh genade! I think after this I may have to reconsider my move to Canada. I will be safer in Afghandistan. No angry mob waiting for me at airport.

:cry::oops:

No ways!

You are just as welcome as ever. :)

Canada is a BIG country, lol. Lots of space here for all of us. B)

Dedré

:cry: Hehehe! I second Ingrid's post! :oops: We just love our own Rustig! :) Everyone is entitled to their blunders. One is not a lot and you made only ONE!!!

Hey there guys my first post woot!

Just thought I'd contribute my bit here, if you want to stream SA radio try AntRadio they have quite a selection, also Adele you can stream from ECR from here ECR Streaming .

Ok think I got the HTML codes right, If there is anything else I can help with just give me a shout!

Cheers

Josh

Hey Josh, welcome to the forum, what about an introduction in the Foyer? We'd love to learn more about you.

Joshua

Thanks dedré I'll do so as soon as I have a chance.

Heinrich

Rustig, you are definitley still welcome in Canada. You don't have to lose a single grain confidence. He who does nothing, makes no mistakes.

Joshua, thanks for your "umbrella site" for radio stations. It will certainly make things easier in the future. And very welcome to this forum, I am also looking forward to your introduction.

Gary James

Hi Guys.

I heard about the discussion here so I've signed up to respond. I built AmaRadio, and I'm glad you heard about it. I'm sorry to hear that many of you are finding it unstable. So far over 1,000 people have downloaded it, and this seems to be the only place where people are battling, so I'm trying to figure out what's happening.. I'd really value your input so that we can work out what the problem is, so that I can sort it out.

Are you willing to assist? I'm wondering if there is anything different on your computers compared to the 1,000 people using the software here in SA. Granted, there could be problems here that no one has told me about, but I've had several hundred people telling me that it works perfectly, so clearly on some computers it must be clashing with some other piece of software.

Norton is usually the first thing that jumps to mind here, as it is known to clash with just about everything. Any chance those of you who had problems with AmaRadio are running Norton Antivirus, or Norton Firewall, or something like that?

Also, what operating systems are you using, and are you connecting to the internet via broadband, or something else?

I'd love to hear from you.. Either here, or over at www.amaradio.co.za/forum, or email me directly at amaradio@strategyonline.co.za.

Any assistance would be appreciated.. I can't fix it if I don't know that there's a problem. And I can't understand the problem unless someone who is having the problem is prepared to work with me to diagnose it.

Best Regards,

Gary.

Gary James

AmaRadio.co.za

South Africa

Adele

Rustig you will still be allowed to come to Canada as long as you recognize there is a bunch of guys AND LADIES here! And they the ones that talk! :cry:

Gary I have written you a pm.

Thanks Joshua and I to look forward to reading more about you in the forums!

Gary James

Hi Everyone,

Further to my last post.. We have just released version 1.05 of AmaRadio. I discovered that most of the radio streams are actually streams to playlists, not directly to the radio root streams themselves. This caused extra delays in connecting, and if any items in the playlists were offline, then the player would take a while to respond.

AmaRadio 1.05 now connects directly to the root stream for each station, and I've removed two stations that no longer seem to be running.

I am releasing this new version on AmaRadio.co.za now. Please let me know if anyone is able to test it for me.

Thanks,

Gary.

Gary James

www.amaradio.co.za

Edited by Gary James

Harry

Gary,

I was the first to react and probably set the tone.

I run both AVG and Zonealarm at home ( ZA was enabled for it) and will not remove it to accommodate an application. The application must be designed to allow for firewalls. With the Internet the way it is today, one cannot possibly do away with one's security.

Your software hung my show completely and I had to do a hard shutdown. When I uninstalled it, something went wrong, and a bunch of spyware that I had managed to disable before, were all switched on when I restarted. It took me ages to identify each piece of junk and switch it off again. My entire startup programme list had been re-enabled somehow, even though the original list was only about 20% enabled. I do not know how to get rid of the other dead junk sitting there in XP.

How much of this was directly due to the experience with your software and how much was due to the forced shutdown, I have no idea. I'm just a regular nominally intelligent user, not an IT guy. All I know I that I had the problem after installing your software and that I had been quite happy for years before doing so. The delay and hold-ups and problems this caused me outweighed the benefit of hearing a radio station in SA by orders of mangnitude.

ON THE OTHER HAND...I work for a household US high tech company as patents director and I patent software all the time. I am used to guys struggling to get their software out and running beta-site tests and stuff. SO, you have my sympathy in this process, but I cannot take a chance on derailing my ability to earn my daily bread via my PC. And, no, I am NOT installing Vista for a few years yet....after everyone else has sorted out its nonsense.

So, you need to help guys like me over the paranoia hurdle here. I've been once bitten now. My loyalty tends to be tough to get and hard to lose.

As for what we have in common on SACanada as compared with people in SA...it's obviously the folks in Canada who would be the most interested users because they cannot get the station on the radio!!

Gary James

Hi Harry.

Thanks for the honest reply, appreciated..

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone disables antivirus or firewall software. I'm running AVG here as well. I merely mentioned Norton because as someone in the IT industry I've seen more cases than not where Norton products cause massive issues on systems. AVG and Zonealarm should be fine though.

As for your concern about upgrading to Vista, I share your feelings here. I've had to upgrade some of my office PCs to Vista to test that my products are Vista-compatible, but I'm a huge XP fan and think that Vista is on almost every level (other than security) a huge step backwards from XP. I'd stick with XP as long as possible if I were you.

I know I'm obviously very pro my software, but in all honesty the problems you're describing with formerly disabled spyware reactivating sound like a problem that is not related to AmaRadio. AmaRadio does not change any registry settings, not does it change any system settings. It's a self-contained program that cannot cause the effects that you're describing. I'm confident that the crash that you describe is what caused the subsequent problems.

As to why your computer crashed in the first place, that's what is puzzling me. As I mentioned, no one else has reported anything like this except for the users here on this forum. If anyone here is prepared to try the latest version of AmaRadio (version 1.05) please let me know how it goes. Although after the comments that have been posted here I don't blame anyone for being to nervous to touch AmaRadio. I'm not sure how I can persuade your community to give it a second chance..

Perhaps if I reassure you that I'm not a rookie programmer.. I've built systems for many large corporates, including banks and government agencies. I've even done some encryption systems for the Canadian navy, and for NASA! So I like to think that I know what I'm doing. I would really, really, really appreciate it if someone here could try version 1.05 of AmaRadio and let me know if they experience any problems with it.

Sincerely,

Gary.

Gary James

AmaRadio.co.za

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Gary

I can test it on Apple Mac if you'd like.

Harry

Gary,

I accept your credentials

I'm sure someone here will run it for you in Canada on XP. When they reprot that they're happy, I'll try again. I just cannot take chances with my main employment tool any further. The consequences of hanging are too rough to take on this machine. I still have not fully removed all the junk that got switched on in my Startup routine. My system tray still looks like a rats nest of odds and sods.

Gary James

One more comment..

The reason we don't yet support ECR is because they don't have a "proper" audio feed, in the sense that they don't have a server that we can attach to. The link provided above is for a peer-to-peer stream, which means that you will hear ECR, but you will also act as a "broadcaster" yourself, so you will receive the stream, and you will send it out to one or more other listeners. This results in potentially huge bandwidth usage. I'm not sure what bandwidth costs in Canada (probably quite cheap I'm guessing), but here in SA it's still very pricey, and most users would be unhappy using that sort of bandwidth.

Hope that helps..

Gary.

Gary James

AmaRadio.co.za

Gary James

Hi Ingrid,

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated, especially considering the comments that proceeded mine :cry:. Unfortunately AmaRadio only works on Windows at the moment, not Mac.. We're considering versions for Mac and Linux in the future.

Hi Harry,

I completely understand. I don't install anything dodgy on my development machines. I look forward to "proving myself" to you in time and regaining your confidence.

Regards,

Gary.

Gary James

AmaRadio.co.za

Zonnenshine

Hey Gary,

I left a review on your site and because it was negative you deleted it. Anyhow I don't really care. Our computer runs on XP and we use broadband internet. Your previous attempt at Amaradio screwed me over really badly, nothing worked, no CTRL+ALT+DELETE to stop the program, not even the restart button worked. I was disappointed. Anyhow, trying to give your application the benefit of the doubt, against my better judgment, I decided to install the new version that you released. This time it didn't screw over my computer, it works (the two stations I like - Highveld Sterio and RSG, but I couldn't get Classical FM or Transworld Radio to work). Anyhow. So there, I took a chance and it works just so you know. I hope it keeps working otherwise I am deleting it again and will never try to download it again.

Edit: After 5 minutes of listening it stopped working. It just went completely dead ... came back in 2 seconds voice 5 seconds dead air. I am not sure if I am happy with this... I think your program needs a little more work.

Edited by Zonnenshine

natalieh
Unfortunately AmaRadio only works on Windows at the moment, not Mac..

And why not??? Us Macateenies would also like to listen to SA radio :cry:

Maybe you guys should migrate to MAC instead of VISTA and then you won't have so many problems ;)

Edited by natalieh

Island Life

I didn't try the first version, but this one seems to be working OK for me. Be nice if the playlists came up on the pop-up display - maybe you could look at that?