Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Vancouver Diary 17

Harry

I assure you folks the picture is the normal one out my bedroom window!

I'm looking pretty much straight at the northern parts of Coquitlam behind the 'mountain'. SO, there is suburbia either side of it.

Adele

I know the area you are 'pointing' at but what I can't fathom is that there is NO volcano listed in this area! SO is it something else! "Raai-Raai" rides again? So it is something else in the area? A vent of something from the refinery at the back of Ioco!

Harry

When I get home tonight, I'll look for a picture of the mountain from the other side.....How's that!?

(Later) And here it is...our volcano (in summer this time, when the air is dry)

070212volcanoli7.jpg

Adele

Ahhh, so I was on the right track? Can you give more details about this Harry? It is not something that is visible from the road, right? Well I have not seen it! So what do they do there?

A vent of something from the refinery at the back of Ioco!

Dedré

Hahaha! :lol: Now I was the gullible one! Enjoyed this Raai-Raai thoroughly! It just shows that, yet again, one can not always believe what one sees. :lol:

Harry

Adele was right!

It's the IOCO oil refinery, which is located at the eastern foot of the hill. The hill is between DeepCove and Coquitlam/Port Moody.

On days when the relative humidity is above around 90% (either because of moist air blown in in Autumn or because the temperature is low in winter), the place produces a huge steam plume. On occasion it rises to form a veritable cloud, which is what the first picture was. The second picture is actually sunrise through the plume a few days ago, before we had all the snow.

SO, that's the story of our suburban volcano. Of course, a few years ago MtBaker started producing some steam. It is around 80 miles southeast of the city. It is a real dormant volcano just across the border in the USA. We also have Mt Garibaldi northeast of Squamish on the way to Whistler. The really big guy around here is Mt Meager at the head of the valley northwest of Pemberton

Loerie

This photo was taken at the intersection of 152nd Ave and 24th Ave, Surrey (in 152nd, facing north).

Dit is die uitsig wat ons op 'n sonskyn dag soos vandag het, as ons soggens skool toe ry. Die foto is egter 3 weke gelede geneem, maar ek sien nie kans om weer vandag die "stunt" :rolleyes: uit te voer met die kamera by daardie besige kruising nie. Ek was gelukkig daardie dag, dat die verkeerslig rooi was en ek voorlangs in die kruising was om die uitsig te kon afneem.

2262500013_0e71c49fb4.jpg

Loerie

Just before ten this morning. I had to walk fast to keep up with this lady ...

2265620831_cec79d75f5_o.jpg

Dedré

Makes me think about an article that I read about Hansie Cronjé. He was a good athlete. Coming from a family that is good in sports, he had to choose between rugby and cricket. So he chose cricket. To stay fit after that, he started running long distances (or maybe he did that anyway... don't know). One day in Bloem he apparently was chasing this woman all the way to the finish. She just would not give up... he gave it his all. Ended up 2nd overall in the race. At the end he asked his manager (don't know maybe it was his... something else... please help!): "WHO WAS THAT WOMAN???!!!" to which he got the reply: "She's called Elana Meyer." :lol:

That Tannie seems to be your Elana Meyer!

Edited by Dedré

Loerie

Dedré, ek het nou lekker gelag vir daai een!

The day before yesterday, we had a beautiful sunshine morning and quite a number of older people were also out for a walk. One gentleman walked with a cane and the other one was literally shuffling as he pushed one of those walking aids with wheels. I did not have a camera with me and decided to take one again yesterday, just in case. When I came to a t-junction I saw this elderly lady coming from my right and as we were heading in the same direction, I hung back a bit in order for her to pass so that I could take a photo of her. I underestimated her speed though and didn't get it right the first time. She did use that walking-stick - maar dit was maar baie effentjies! :lol:

Adele

So where was Harry with his camera when the rescue from 'his' rock took place today? I thought I would have read/heard it here first!

As busy as the rest of us eh, Harry?

GavinM

Hi Harry,

It's actually the BC Hydro Burrard Thermal Generation Power Plant in Port Moody that's generating the steam. The natural gas powered plant generates steam using water drawn from Buntzen lake. The plant is situated near the former site of the old Ioco oil refinery which was shut down in 1995.

http://www.bchydro.com/info/system/system15252.html

Gavin

Adele was right!

It's the IOCO oil refinery, which is located at the eastern foot of the hill. The hill is between DeepCove and Coquitlam/Port Moody.

On days when the relative humidity is above around 90% (either because of moist air blown in in Autumn or because the temperature is low in winter), the place produces a huge steam plume. On occasion it rises to form a veritable cloud, which is what the first picture was. The second picture is actually sunrise through the plume a few days ago, before we had all the snow.

SO, that's the story of our suburban volcano. Of course, a few years ago MtBaker started producing some steam. It is around 80 miles southeast of the city. It is a real dormant volcano just across the border in the USA. We also have Mt Garibaldi northeast of Squamish on the way to Whistler. The really big guy around here is Mt Meager at the head of the valley northwest of Pemberton

Harry

Gavin,

thanks...I've learnt something. You're right, one would not really expect steam from an oil refinery.

Adele.

I've been running around with attorneys the last three days. No idea what's going on in the world. I'll have to find out what you are talking abgout.

Cathy

Harry have you decided to have a diary for the year this year? Just in case you didn't think anybody didn't notice that your traditional change of season start and stop of one diary into another didn't happen! ;);)

Harry

Cathy,

Yes, I made it for a year : http://www.sacanada.org/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=81539

I just don't have anything to add at this time, except that it has been the most persistent winter since we've moved here. That's why I am so upset at these "global warming" fanatics who conveniently shut up for winter and then mouth off in summer. I'm miserable enough after this winter to not still want my economy destroyed on top of it through their bloody-minded unthinking obsession.

Sitting here with bronchitis (second time in two months) after catching a cold is not inclined to make me sympathetic to global warming protagonists.

I'm also busy in every waking hour with either work or the book...now at the 1820 Settlers. It is REALLY tough going.

robert

Since it has gone quiet here in Vancouver I thought I would post a few pics.

Deep Cove as I see it every morning on the way to work.

Springtime ( so they say!) in Vancouver.Pictures taken on Saturday near Lynn Valley

Adele

Robert, glad to see you are working...will send a pm...

Loerie

Today is a beautiful sunshine day in the Greater Vancouver. I had to go to Langley this morning and then I always enjoy taking 16th Ave as I drive east from White Rock. I just love the rural scenery along 16th. This llama farm is one of the farms that always catches my eye.

2383884030_36133a9bf0_o.jpg

Unfortunately I did not check the camera's battery before I left home and will take some more photos along this route a next time. The temperature in Langley was between 11 and 13 C, but as I drove home it was 10 C most of the way. Langley is always a couple of degrees warmer than White Rock and South Surrey.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Hey, you came close to where we live!

Flip & Ilana

Aaaaahhhh you guys!

It seems that you really DO live in the most beatiful part of Canada.

We are still under at least 4 feet of snow, the roads have cleared up though and everything turns to slush during the day when the temp goes up to -6Celsius (Whoo-hoo, we call this Spring).

I luv the coloured leaves against the white snow on the ground in your pics, Robert.

Loerie

Ingrid, I remember the photos in your area in post #30 of this thread - beautiful!

Flip & Ilana - vasbyt! Your spring temperatures make me feel guilty when I complain about the lack of sunshine sometimes (mostly when we haven't seen the sun for a full week, which I must say does not happen that often in our area). Most of the time though, I feel very thankful to be living in this part of the world. :rolleyes:

It was 6 C around 8.30 am this morning and raining and drizzling on and off.

Does not look like we are going to see the sun today. At least the signs of spring are there and it gives us hope!

2387034189_9aed17d2f6_o.jpg

The odd trees looks like they are in full bloom.

2387864630_3f8670e1b1_o.jpg

Here and there is an azalea in bloom.

2387864532_2d12ffe25a_o.jpg

Some daffodils.

2387113779_e13b73294e_o.jpg

People were out for a walk in the rain this morning and this guy even mowed the lawn.

We have mowed the lawn twice now and will do so again over the weekend - depending on the weather.

2387034109_644ff69761_o.jpg

QRM

n713934358_759631_5287.jpg

Members please let me know if you can see this picture, I am specifically interested in users that don't have facebook accounts.

Edited by Hendie

Cathy K

No problem. Now tell us more about it. :rolleyes:

Cathy K

jen1

Linton did you link it in from a facebook album by any chance? And if so how??

thanks

QRM
Linton did you link it in from a facebook album by any chance? And if so how??

thanks

Ok thats great, when you looking at a picture from within facebook , right click on the picture itself.

Select properties and copy this URL.

Regards

Linton.