Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Vancouver Diary 17

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
I have to have a little laugh here.

Your schools are closed for that amount of snow?!!!!

Shows how not used to the white stuff you BC guys are!

We have some kwaai hills/mountains ... :)

Some are blinking steep and it would be stupid to even try and drive down them when they are icy/snowed over.

Ask those who did and who slid into the ditches, ouch. ;)

Hey, we have the Real Snow, my dear...that's why we got the 2010 Olympics.... :)B)

PS. This is just for you Karen....hohoho....

Adele

Ingrid, I hope you are allright! I know what that is like. Fortunately I got smart and did not drive today. I have a steep hill to go down to work and one to my kids school. I heard from a friend who uses that route to go to work. Did and she also landed on the side of the street. She said the road was a sheet of ice no tar visible!

Ingrid, I hope you are allright! I know what that is like. Fortunately I got smart and did not drive today. I have a steep hill to go down to work and one to my kids school. I heard from a friend who uses that route to go to work. Did and she also landed on the side of the street. She said the road was a sheet of ice no tar visible!

I am 100% alright, thanks. ;) I wasn't talking about landing in the ditch myself by the way, but thanks for being concerned if that's what you thought... We are used to black ice etc and so take extreme caution with any icy weather.

I had a snow day, lol. Just stayed at home.

Eric took the van as it has studded tyres and I did not want to drive his car instead.

And our oldest...well, he went and did some do-nuts in a parking-area just off Fraser somewhere...he loves his 4WD. :)

Mom just prays. :)

Wesley

This is where your future All-Wheel-Drive WRX will prove itself useful :)

Now am waiting for the snow pictures from Ingrid. It is always nice to see the North, East, South and West shorts. Maybe someone in Richmond can help out with the South shots. Or White Rock.

Ok, so here they are...this is the Township of Langley, dear friends...

Photo's by my 14 yr.old:

Taken from our street, on the way home from school on Monday, 21•1•2008

aV_iHIr.jpg

Sorry, photo keeps rotating back to this position.

aV_jn6S.jpg

Mt Baker, WA.

aV_js69.jpg

Cascades, BC

These are today's photo's...taken at our home (front and back)

and the lighter brownish colour house is the neighbour's across the street from us.

I love fences and gates, so took some pics especially for all the farmers

in our midst who miss teir farms...

Pqph180.jpg

aV1NAWA0.jpg

PqphiB0.jpg

aV1NBGYJ.jpg

Pqphq4r.jpg

aV1NB_VS.jpg

Pqphv3J.jpg

aV1NCcoA.jpg

aV1NChnS.jpg

aV1NCrmr.jpg

aV1NCwlJ.jpg

Loerie

Nice to see all the beautiful pictures!

We had some snow overnight and a little bit early this morning, but nothing for the rest of the day. Our kids also had a snow day.

View towards the north at 11.10 am.

2230290154_820ff40f96.jpg

Our street around noon.

2230290210_86508c859f.jpg

Through the kitchen window.

2230290104_1c435fc4c2.jpg

View to the south at 1 pm. We saw the sun on and off during the afternoon.

2229496491_a7f98d3de2.jpg

This is where your future All-Wheel-Drive WRX will prove itself useful :)

Watch this space for a photo, Wesley.

It is an awesome car! ;)

Black and super-fast. :)

Liz

$300 to shovel a drive...I'll fly over and shovel some for that price any time!! Guess I have to tell people moving there to take their snow shovels with them!!

Harry

Liz, he refused to take that from them, as you might expect...but he had to beg them to not pay that. Seems the lady has to make a flight to Milan and there are no males in the household..

Harry

Finally the plough arrives today

...but only because the garbage truck asked him to clear the way!

07-01-30sno1.jpg

I'm getting worried about the weight on the deck. That hot tub I inherited is already heavy, but if I drain it, the remaining water will freeze in the pipes and they will burst.....bin there, done that!

07-01-30sno2.jpg

All that stuff started melting, then refroze...and now it is snowing again on top of it. I have great hope that it will all turn to rain this afternoon. As soon as that happens, I'll go down to the village and clear the snow off the car.

Merv

Ag shame that is a cute little plow :) , ours are MUCH bigger :)

Ag shame that is a cute little plow :P , ours are MUCH bigger :D

Now, now dear Merv... :)

We are very proud of our snow plows..

Especially this one: http://www.autobarn.net/60exsnbr.html :)

Liz

I agree, Merv....we have those little ones clearing our smaller parking lots!! :)

Harry

That's the baby plough around here as well. The B-i-i-i-i-G guy never came today.

I finally went down the hill to get the car and go buy more salt. On the way down the 100 step staircase I managed to slip and fall. ...went bouncing down on my back towards the street, with folks at the busstop at the bottom freaking out. Now I'm sore in places where I did not know I had places. Snow really is a pain in the #ss here....literally.

robert
On the way down the 100 step staircase I managed to slip and fall. ...went bouncing down on my back towards the street, with folks at the busstop at the bottom freaking out. Now I'm sore in places where I did not know I had places. Snow really is a pain in the #ss here....literally.

Eish :):):P

Dedré

Oi, Harry, probably to late to tell you to be careful out there... snow is a dangerous little bugger! ;)

On a serious note... Not good to hear that our Vancouver soldier is now out of action a bit. Hope nothing serious got broken... Just protect all your funny bones... PLEASE! SACanada needs you soldier! <pointy big hand>.

Hope you recover soon from all those sore places.

Liz

I always watch out for the snow/ice, however, a person can slip when you least expect it. Harry, I hope you stop hurting soon. :(

Someone I know, slipped last year and broke her ankle in two places. Took forever to heal properly. Also, one of our councillors is still in hospital, after falling the beginning of December and hitting her head. Please do be careful out there!! Once your feet slip out under you...there is nothing you can do, except maybe try and land on your butt.....if you're not on too much of a downhill...... ;)

Adele

Harry please try to be more careful!

We hope you recover from all the bruising really quickly. A massage and some physio is what helped me last year when I slipped and fell. But only AFTER all the tender spots stopped aching. Amazing I discovered to that some spots can get hurt without you knowing you actually have something to hurt int hat area!

Harry

Its not that serious at all, folks!

It's more a case of damage to the dignity than the bones. Just a leg that is a little...errr...unco-operative, but is coming right.

However, the inevitable finally happened an hour ago. My wife phoned to say that her car "lost it" on the slope down from our street, she slid down............and hit another car. Serious damage. ;)

Now you guys can see why Vancouver is a bloody nightmare when it snows. Even the new guy at work from Rochester ( heavy snow country) in New York says it is a nightmare. It is the fact that no-one, including the municipality, is really used to snow. He considers it incompetence. I agree.

The big plough never came yesterday, and this is the result. The little one did a half-#ssed job! They ought to give me a massive deduction on my property taxes for this.

I've tried kicking the wall, but I feel no better. There goes my ICBC Roadstar rating that I workd so hard to retain!! Now the insurance rate goes up....on both cars!

Moonstones

Careful kicking the wall, Harry. Either you will hurt your foot, or if its drywall your foot will go straight through it....! ;) ;)

Even here in Saskatoon the roads are still pretty bad after the blizzard. Lots of compacted snow and ice, they shine like a skating rink.

I "biffed it" - as falling down is called here - a couple weeks ago in our driveway. Blamed it on the catlitter I was carrying at the time - it upset my balance and pulled me down with a force only gravity can extract on a 5kg bag of catlitter ;) It was quite a spectacular slip with snow flying all over the place, my dog barked at me and my cousin laughed till she had tears in her eyes.... and then went and salted the slick spot on our driveway ;):(

Adele

Harry I hope your wife is okay and it is just material damage (your car!).

You will most likely loose 30% (that was how much I lost) when I was at fault. That put me below zero rating. If you have a good rating, it might not drop that low.

Also, due to them not removing the ice on the roads, is there some way you can hold them 50% accountable? Just a shot in the dark.

I agree with the incompetance of not clearing the snow/not prepared for it. They know it snows sometimes, heavy in certain areas, they SHOULD be prepare for it.

I was told when applying to come to Canada many years ago, that Canadians are proactive in their actions- not reactive. I now know, that is truly not the truth!

djb

Last winter during that big snowstorm (by Vancouver standards :blink: ) I managed to slip on a fat patch of ice while crossing a parking lot entrance and landed squarely on my back :cry: . There is just nothing you can do! There was unfortunately no way around it without walking into the traffic...

So this year I got sneaky and bought a pair of 'Ice Paws' (Red Pine Outdoor). They work like an absolute charm! I got them at Mountain Magic in South Surrey (please do support these guys if you can - a great South African guy that owns and manages it).

You can get similar stuff at Marks work wearhouse and Coast Mountain, I believe. I've also heard of Yaktrax, but not sure how good they are.

I am so glad I got them with all the snow we have had this year B)

Flip & Ilana
So this year I got sneaky and bought a pair of 'Ice Paws'

Sissy........

Just joking, LOL.

jen1

Well I can sympathize with anyone slipping and falling......I slipped on some ice here in Toronto on one of our warmest winter days here three weeks ago....I dislocated my ankle, broke my leg and ended up having to have surgery. Now I have a lot more metal inside me than before. Its still another 4 weeks before I can start walking on it, which is a real pain, as I am house bound and relying on friends to help me out and keep me amused (oh and this board at least gives me good reading)

Harry

So here's what happened in the matter of the accident, and that's how one knows one is in Canada:

1. When I got home there was a phone call for the wife from the guy whose RV she hit on the right of the road with the left of her car as her car spun down the hill : " I'm sorry about my outburst this morning. I'm not usually such a jerk!"

2. When we spoke to ICBC, the lady agent told me: "Now go hug your wife and give her kiss and tell her it's all your fault".

The damage?:

The other guy's RV took $560 damage. Our car has a badly damaged/torn bumper and the hood is very sharply bent/crumpled. Probably about $3-5,000 damage. We suffer a three point loss in insurance rating and pay about $420 TOTAL more in premiums over three years to get back to where we are now.

The back of the car broke away (apparently on some black ice or sand-slush) and it turned seriously, so she hit the RV on the right hand side of the road with the LEFT front of her car almost on the headlight

Next time I make it sound like snow in Vancouver is big deal...it is because IT BLOODYWELL IS!! This place has serious hills and one centimetre of snow has consequences.

P.S Seems our son also slipped and fell at the same spot yesterday.