Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Vancouver Diary 17

Harry

Vancouver Diary: 2008

Welcome to the Seventeenth Vancouver Diary.

07-01-27winter.jpg

Out our Deep Cove Window

We're Baaaaack!

I switched off the Van Diaries on the winter sosltice in Decembar 2007. It has now been just over a month that I have done nothing on the subject. Partly it is because I've been very busy with other stuff in life, such as the Loerie book and the family genealogy, but also because it is tough to generate material to post and it is the bad season for photography.

So I thought I'd re-format it, based on a much scaled down posting rate. I'm not coupling it to the season. Maybe I'll just go slow and keep it going for a year at a time. With almost 8% of the new year already gone, I still don't have much to post.

Folks have told me that the Van diary kind of gave them a sort of pictorial touchstone to hold onto while they wait for their visas. However, by the time I got to the point of taking pictures of studfinders I realised I had a problem.

Given the huge horde of folks that turned up for the Raven Rumble yesterday here at the Raven pub in Deep Cove, though, I now feel all horrible about having shut down the diary. It is clear that people are now leaving SA in absolute droves...for better or for worse.

So here goes....with nothing to add except the odd picture.....and hopefully contributions from other folks who also have digital cameras and wideband access. Please pitch in using 800 pixel wide pictures.

My thanks to all who turned up yesterday...and I really did ask Adele to stop painting a picture of me as some sort of Swami in a terra cotta robe on a mountain dispensing six-penny wisdoms to folks using fortune cookies. There is no end to the wilfulness of that woman. :)

In the end the "Boere" took over the place and the locals fled in all directions. :blink: ..just kidding

I most certainly could not hear all the conversations, but I know they covered at least Electricy, Climate, Employment, Politics, Braaivleis, Economics, Alberta, Macdonalds, Oil, Zulu-classes, Traffic and Housing. We had people from all over Southern Africa up to Zambia. Locally they were from all over the Lower Mainland. Seems like next time Adele will have to reserve the whole Raven.

As for what it is like over here right now...the picture above pretty much describes it. It is snowing softly outisde and our road is covered. We're effectively stuck up here.

Adele

Thank you also from me to Harry and everyone else who did turn up. It was a wonderful afternoon/evening which ended after many Springbok shots and other free flowing alcoholic beverages and at about 7:30pm when I realized I would have to end up paying OT for my sitter!

Harry, I have only painted you as "the Mountain to Mohamed" so that we can get the turn out we did. If only you "Mohamed" would more functions "the Mountain" then I could be honest and say that people can always expect some good conversation as was witnessed yesterday.

We met some lovely new people who had not heard of SACanada (but now know all about it) :ilikeit: and who are new arrivals to Canada. :hugs: We also met some locals who are ex SA (23 years) and they knew us by the choice of drink on tables. :blush: We missed the SA barman, but he had taught the new barman well and he knew how to "float the Bailey's".

The most important thing is we met new people that we could help along this walk in life and that they could realize a little Southern African warm hospitality was only a phone call away!

Looking forward to the next function on the 16th of February in Burnaby at Howie's Pub and grill.

This is a family affair (children are optional) and we have a private room booked.

Loerie

I took some photos in the South Surrey / White Rock area today. But first, two photos that were taken last summer from Grouse Mountain, to give an idea of where South Surrey and White Rock are - about 50 min drive south east of Downtown Vancouver, depending on the traffic.

post-787-1201486204.jpg

Zoomed in:

post-787-1201486248.jpg

We had a little snow early this morning, but by 12h00 most of the snow had melted and our street looked like this:

(the next photo was taken from the Athletic Park, behind the trees on the left)

post-787-1201486181.jpg

We had sunshine for a couple of hours today. This photos was taken at the South Surrey Athletic Park at 12h30.

post-787-1201486191.jpg

In White Rock, driving south in Oxford Street - downhill to the beach.

post-787-1201486219.jpg

post-787-1201486230.jpg

Taken towards the east at the promenade at White Rock beach (USA on the horison) ...

post-787-1201486239.jpg

... and taken from the same spot to the west:

post-787-1201486257.jpg

Uphill in Oxford street, driving back the way we came. While the sun was shining to the south, it looked like this to the north:

post-787-1201486271.jpg

Further up the hill. The traffic Light is at the crossing of 16A Avenue (boundary between White Rock and South Surrey) and 148th/Oxford Street.

post-787-1201486283.jpg

Adele

Loerie,

These are great pictures and you have labeled them really well to give people an idea of how far one city is to the next. I mean you can't really tell from a picture, but it does give some ideas.

Thanks for this !

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Loerie

Oxford Street is a fun street to drive - up or down - though it does take one's breath away.

Every time I drive it, I am very, very thankful I don't live on it, lol. :ilikeit:

Loerie

Thanks, Adele. You are right about not really getting a good idea of the distance between all the areas just by looking at the photo - the distance between White Rock and Downtown Vancouver is approximately 50km and the 50 minutes drive I mentioned, is not in rush hour traffic - it will definitely be more then.

Ingrid, I only drive down Oxford street in good weather and would also not like to live there - especially when it snows and the roads are slippery! We always enjoy the view over the bay however, as we often drive past in 16th Ave.

Edited by Loerie

Ingrid, I only drive down Oxford street in good weather and would also not like to live there - especially when it snows and the roads are slippery! We always enjoy the view over the bay however, as we often drive past in 16th Ave.

We lived on Parker St before moving out to Langley.

It's not even as steep as Oxford and it was bad enough with snow and ice. :ilikeit:

robert

Fotos taken in North Van (Upper Lonsdale, Seymour Parkway) 27 January 2008

Edited by robert

Nice pics, Robert. Are you guys beginning to believe you are really here yet?! :ilikeit:

robert

Fotos taken at top of Mt Seymour Wednesday 23 January 2008

Edited by robert

Adele

Robert your kids must be loving the snow. But then again PMB got it's fare share every now and again, right? :ilikeit: Compared to Vancouver, I think the reality has now sunk in, well at least when you are awake long enough!

Hope the Jet lag wears off really soon!

Harry

The snow came down harder here yesterday than I have seen it in my 7-1/2 years here. ...a near white-out. In just a short while we had three inches. At one point it was pretty big flakes...real KAPOK! ..the size of a human finger on occasions.

I took the odd picture outside a few minutes ago (the day after). My wife phoned me to say that at Lonsdale Quay there was almost no snow. Folks there don't really want to believe her that I'm trapped up here against the hill in Deep Cove this morning. The plough has still not come( SIGH!!). The down-slope from our street to Deep Cove road is D-E-A-D-L-Y.

07-01-28sno.jpg

Harry

Why the Boere should not declare war on Canada

Look, I know the Boere had the guts to declare war on the entire British Empire, and then they went on to beat them in all but one battle for three months in 1899. However, I don't think the boys should try that with Canada. As evidence for my position in this matter, I present you the Canadian mailman....delivering mail in the snow in short "baggies" here some 5 minutes ago. If these boys can handle the cold like this, the Boere have'nt got a snowball's hope in hell against them. ;)

07-01-28mailman.jpg

Loerie

I took the dogs for a walk at 8h30 this morning, just after it started to snow. It snowed for about an hour and the roads were clear again at noon.

post-787-1201585372.jpg

The same street in December 2007.

post-787-1201585354.jpg

Two ladies came jogging past.

post-787-1201585393.jpg

post-787-1201585409.jpg

The same street last week, when the Greater Vancouver had 3 days of blue skies.

post-787-1201585329.jpg

Edited by Loerie

Dedré

And missing some gloves too! He is not human!

And missing some gloves too! He is not human!

When it gets to 2 degrees C, Dedré, we declare a heat wave. ;)

Right now we are under a snow warning and an arctic outflow warning for the Lower Fraser Valley...in Canadian terms, that's hockey weather. :(;)

Harry

Wow! I like the picture contributions. I don't feel so alone anymore!

By the way, the snowfall yesterday was the weirdest I have yet seen here. Not a flake of snow fell west of the Second Narrows bridge just 8km from here...or, if any did, it melted away really quickly. There is nothing over there tonight. However, we're still totally covered in about 3 inches of the stuff...and it has started again. All my clearing of the driveway won me just the time to get the car safely down to the village.

I think it has snowed more often this season than any other while we have lived here. However, it has not snowed as MUCH as some other years. So we have Global Cooling over here.

Adele

my contribution with my cell phone camera.

post-433-1201598155.jpg

snow on the 28th jan 08 at 1150pm

Harry

Err...we've got a problem over here(!)

07-01-29sno1.jpg

07-01-29sno2.jpg

And we have a trail derailment....heaps of cars in ditches.....pretty much all schools/univeristies closed...repeated appeals on TV that folks should better stay at home If they don't absolutely have to go.

I'll VPN in and work from home....I'm out of salt at this point. At least the car is down in the village. Any car left up here on the slope is not going anywhere today.

The wife trudged off in the snow, all wet and bothered...she has no choice today. They have to submit stuff to the BC Governemnt on a deadline today. She just phoned back from the Phibbs Exchange bus terminal (she has to take two buses) and said "Don't even THINK of getting on the road...the buses are slippping and sliding around"

Lastly, a 2 fun pictures for everyone:

07-01-29sno3.jpg

07-01-29sno4.jpg

Ouwaas, ek kan nie meer knyp nie....or....Is THIS why they potty trained me!?

I hope Robert is enjoying this...what a welcome for a guy from Natal!!

robert

This is apparently what being "snowed in" in Vancouver means.

We woke up this morning to this. Fotos taken in Upper Lonsdale, North Van. Snow about 15cm. Schools etc closed.

(Eish Harry.....your snow is worse!!!)

Edited by robert

Harry

Aaaaaaag nooo...MAN!!

My son and I had just finished clearing our darned massive driveway and staircase of 10 inches of snow, when it started again. The weather forecast had promised it would turn to rain...so we wanted to get it away before it got wet.

Nothing of the sort. It is now snowing hard again.

So I thought I'd do the equivalent of the dejected Boer sitting with his rifle at the foot of the Kruger statue in Pretoria:

07-01-29sno5.jpg

He does not look too dejected, though(!!)

Robert,

It's really quite bad over here in Deep Cove. No snowplough of any sort yet. We're always last on the list. Yesterday they finally came with the proper plough at 1pm. No-one has been here yet today and it is 1:40pm.

Last night, when we fetched my wife at Lonsdale, there was no snow in that area at all, but we still had 3 inches on the ground. Today we get this. NOW we certainly have had more snow than what we get in total for most years.

natalieh

post-4252-1201645535.jpg

post-4252-1201645960.jpg

My dog having fun in the snow!

post-4252-1201645735.jpg

For a South African transplant he's doing pretty well :)

Edited by natalieh

Adele

NatalieH, his look says he is not to happy though! :)

Robert, you camera's time (methinks) is still on SA time. 8:30pm, it seems a lot darker than that!

Harry, You son is not dejected at all!! He seems to be smirking! Let him do the stairway again! It might be because the 'wise old swami' in his terracotta robe looks funny shoveling snow on top of the mountain! :);) You have really painted a picture for me. I can even see that 'wise old swami' dispersing that wisdom in song form!

Now am waiting for the snow pictures from Ingrid. It is always nice to see the North, East, South and West shorts. Maybe someone in Richmond can help out with the South shots. Or White Rock.

I had to cancel going into work today as the cars were 'piling' up against the wall from the underground exit. I could not get out. Kids school was canceled. Except high school which are writing provincial exams.

Karen

I have to have a little laugh here.

Your schools are closed for that amount of snow?!!!!

Shows how not used to the white stuff you BC guys are!

Our school board may cancel buses in inclement weather ( read icy road conditions), but the schools always remain open and the choice is yours as to whether you send your kids or not. In my years of experience here, we have always had at least half the kids show up, no matter what.

Meantime, today on the Canadian Riviera ( aka Toronto), we had a lovely, snow- free day, with balmy temps of 7C!! ( However, that will, alas drop tonight to minus 7 :) )

Harry

Adele,

Well, We've just gone out do do the driveway AGAIN!!..removed another 1-1/2 inches

The rich Italian lady with the daughter and grandkids came past, took one look, and offered our son $300 to do her driveway as well. It's much smaller than ours. He's over there now.

The first bald-headed eagle just cruised over...so I assume the snow is now over...errr...surely!!?

It had better be...that was the last cup of my salt.

Swami:

You know the Beatles had a song in 1968 called Sexy Sadie. It was actually a "rhyming" name they put in the place of "Maharishi". Of course, that was the Indian "Swami" that took them to India for meditation and all that junk. Well, they saw through the racket and came home. The words go:

Ma-ha-rishi (Sexy Sadie), what have you done?

You've made a fool of everyone!

THAT is what I'm worried about. Just so's you know, Madame!! :)

I DON't BELIEVE IT.....I have fog....the sun is shining through the fog....and it has just started snowing again...very lightly though.....not motreën but motsneeu. This place is nuts!