Sign in to follow this  
josephparappally

Transport system & Living condition Fort Mac Murry

josephparappally

I am coming to Fort Mac Murry with work permit as a Registered nurse for Northern lights health region by first week of May2008. My family is also accompanying with me. I have 2 children aged 9 & 5. I don't have driving license. Therefore, I would like to know is there enough transport facility like public transport bus system or train?.

What is the procedure for applying driving license? Is it taking long time? How much will cost? In work permit visa am I eligible for applying driving license? How is the living condition in Fort Mac Murry?

What about family life in Fort Mac Murry? Is it safe for children? How is the school admission and fees? Is there any public school?

Kindly give good guidance. I am an Indian, from Kerala, presently working in UAE. Is there any Indian community there? How is the working condition in Fort Mac Murry?

I would like to know what is the electric voltage system in Fort Mac Murry is it 110/220. I mean in India and UAE electric voltage is 220 can I bring Microwave oven etc to Fort Mac Murry from UAE? Is it useful? It works on 220-240 voltage system.

Edited by josephparappally

Dedré

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Your driver's licence is only valid for a few months in Canada.

Go and look here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here. You will understand more of the process that you will have to go through to get yourself going in that direction. I understand that you there might be differences for Alberta, but Cathy's post will get you the best info that you need. It is lots to read, but take your time to read through everything, as the great advice on there is worth a lot.

I can not comment on public transport in Canada, as we have not landed yet. I understand there are ample buses to provide in safe, reliable public transport. Waiting in FMM for a bus might just be very freezing. Hope that someone might know better and give some guidance there.

Living conditions in FMM is a bit difficult. Housing is expensive and difficult to find. Go and read HERE for all the topics on FMM.

With regards to Voltage in Canada... Here are some of Harry's posts in this regard. I know little on this topic, but it is easy to follow. Hope it helps.

Hope someone can help you on the Schools, working conditions and Indian community in FMM. I am sure you will be very happy in Canada, and that you probably have nothing to worry about. Good luck with your new job.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Welcome to SACanada Joseph and family. :)

All the best with your move to Canada.

RiaanvS

Hi

Fort McMurray has a good bus system as well as a very large taxi fleet.

You will have to write your learners and have it for a year before you can go for your drivers if you do not have current drivers permit.

The town is very busy with a huge multi cultural community and there are a vast number of people from India. School system is not to bad as long as you keep teaching your kids the real values of life.

Housing is very expensive and all electrical are 110V.

Hope this help

Riaan

Pierre

Welcome Joseph.

In addition to the replies above...

There is an active Hindu society - they hold all the festivals.

You can get a drivers license with a work permit status.

Microwaves are very cheap here. All houses (that I know of) have them built in allready.

In fact all house have the regular appliances such as stove, washer, dryer, oven, dishwasher, fridge.

The oven and washer is usually 220V. Everything else is 110V.

Dedré

Whohoo, good to see you again, Pierre!

Joseph, I found these links:

Lots of Links, Transport and More Links.

Pierre

The most important device right now is a funace or fireplace.

And unfortunately you wont get it in SA (or the UAE or India) except perhaps a log fireplace.

The temp has dropped to -31 (WC -44) and bright sunshine. I just saw the ceiling is 12000ft, no wonder its so cold here. They should lower it a bit. ;) To keep the arctic air out. And let the jetstream shoot by overhead.

josephparappally
The most important device right now is a funace or fireplace.

And unfortunately you wont get it in SA (or the UAE or India) except perhaps a log fireplace.

The temp has dropped to -31 (WC -44) and bright sunshine. I just saw the ceiling is 12000ft, no wonder its so cold here. They should lower it a bit. :blink: To keep the arctic air out. And let the jetstream shoot by overhead.

I would like to know what percentage I have to pay as tax from my salary. I heard that in Northern lights health region tax is less compair to other province is it true? My present salary offer is 27/hour. Also my employer said there will be special allowance for Fort Mac Murray staff (remote allowance). Also some housing allowance etc. Can any one please explain about the tax in Fort mac murray.

I would like to know that, Is there any Indian Grocery shop/Indian Resturant in Fort Mac Murray. I heard that there is no chilly (red) powder in Fort Mac Murry is it true?

vinceb
I would like to know what percentage I have to pay as tax from my salary. I heard that in Northern lights health region tax is less compair to other province is it true? My present salary offer is 27/hour. Also my employer said there will be special allowance for Fort Mac Murray staff (remote allowance). Also some housing allowance etc.

The housing allowance at Northern Lights health region is $1040/month - it is taxable.

As far as your income tax is concerned - it will depend on your income - look at the following:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individuals/faq/taxrates-e.html

about the Northern Residents Deduction - I am assuming this is what you mean by a remote allowance - Ft McMurray is zone B

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2222/t2222-07-e.pdf

josephparappally
Welcome Joseph.

In addition to the replies above...

There is an active Hindu society - they hold all the festivals.

You can get a drivers license with a work permit status.

Microwaves are very cheap here. All houses (that I know of) have them built in allready.

In fact all house have the regular appliances such as stove, washer, dryer, oven, dishwasher, fridge.

The oven and washer is usually 220V. Everything else is 110V.

Thank you for your reply. I would like to know is there any Indian Grocery shope and Indian resturants in Fort Mac Murray.

Pierre

There are no Indian Restaurants in FMM. There are a few good ones at our nearest city, Edmonton.

There is an import store which caters for many cultures. I just dont know about specialty Indian food.