Sign in to follow this  
theDavidsons

Domain name

theDavidsons

Hiya,

I am looking at purchasing a .ca domain and transfering my .com and (possibly) my .co.uk domain names in the near future.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reliable .ca company that I could use.

Currently I'm only looking for 'domain name purchase only' and will look into hosting once we've settled in Canada.

I have done a google search, but there is so much on offer that I'm not sure which way to go.

Many thanks :(

Vicki x

Edited by theDavidsons

Eugene

I have used godaddy in the past and was very happy.

CPU

I also use Godaddy.com and very happy with them, still use them. You can also take a look at 1and1.com and their prices are very reasonable.

Hendie

For .ca domains I have used Domain Registry of Canada in the past. They have excellent online tools, and I have been quite happy with their service thus far.

theDavidsons

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the info, I'll definitely look into these you mentioned.

Take care,

Many thanks

Vicki x :(

Nixie

Hi, try GODADDY, they have on-going specials all the time. They offer affordable prices. Good luck ! :blink: Nixie

Paisley

I use Lunar Pages. With 1500 gb space. They will register .ca domains for you even .co.za if you want. They are in the US and never had any problems. Good on the support.

Traveller

I've been using webserve.ca for several years now, and have been happy with both the price and service.

(They are based in North Vancouver, ie not US based. Support the locals. But you can join from anywhere.)

johankok

I've been using Dotster.com and dyndns.org with success.

Merv
Hi, try GODADDY, they have on-going specials all the time. They offer affordable prices. Good luck ! :D Nixie

Off topic, but if you go to godaddy.com, have a look at the video adverts posted there. Worth wasting some time

djb

I would stay away from Webserve. Had some support issues and their support is almost non-existent. I actually once phoned them and tried each department on their IVR, and got the same useless agent that couldn't do anything more than open a ticket. Great. Site is down... and you'll open a ticket.

Generally, for .ca domains, shop around because they are pretty darn expensive. You are supposed to be resident in Canada to register one, btw.

For everything else, I would recommend 1and1. Their domain pricing is quite a bit better than Godaddy, and their hosting is solid. My only complaints with them are SFTP upload/download (it can be a bit slow - well, slow in broadband terms) and the web stats they offer, although one can install some scripting to handle the stats or download and manipulate them.

Incidentally, I have a couple of sites on GoDaddy, and I can't stand their constant upsell all over the place, but I guess that's the way they drive their business... :(

cbc

I've been using HostGator (www.hostgator.com) for years and they are brilliant. I am very definitely a "difficult customer" and so far I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about them. :hug: