natalieh

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • SA Location:Cape Town, Johannesburg
  • Landed:Feb 2007
  • Language:English
  • Interests:Helping others with immigration to Canada, Volunteering, Real Estate, Interior Design

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

The Government of Canada has added 21 more occupations to the E-LMO list. These LMO's are processed within 3-5 business days.

http://www.hrsdc.gc....elmoppone.shtml

#2 Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts
  • SA Location:KZN/Pretoria/Table View
  • Landed:Jun 1988
  • Language:English/Afrikaans

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

30,000 foreign workers may be headed for B.C.
The Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, January 14, 2008
VANCOUVER -- Employers in British Columbia and Alberta can expect speedier approval for hiring foreign workers in a greater number of qualifying fields when there are no Canadian citizens or permanent residents available to fill the positions.
Human Resources and Social Development Canada today announced the expansion of the Expedited Labour Market Opinion pilot project (E-LMO), which began in September 2007, from 12 to 33 occupations.

More at : http://www.canada.co...t...aa4&k=46604

#3 boeg

boeg

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • SA Location:Johannesburg

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

For the completely unitiated, how exactly does this work? If I am willing to work as a server and my partner as a construction worker, what do we do? Who do we speak to? Are Canadian employers really so desperate they would import a waitress from deepest Afrique?!? If so, I am equally desperate to be that waitress!

#4 hennie_dup

hennie_dup

Certified Addict!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • SA Location:Bloemfontein, Pretoria/Centurion
  • Language:Afrikaans/English
  • Interests:Nature, opera singing, reading, cricket

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

Are Canadian employers really so desperate they would import a waitress from deepest Afrique?!? If so, I am equally desperate to be that waitress!

ditto boeg, I have no problem being a waiter if that gets me into Canada quicker ;)
Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietsche

#5 Cathy K

Cathy K

Citizen

• Members
  • 3,689 posts
  • SA Location:Sedgefield
  • Landed:Aug 2001
  • Interests:gardening, cooking, reading, music (classical), traveling, politics and history

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

I wonder whether these guys might be able to help.

Workopolis

Cathy K
"Man should not be allowed to destroy anything that he is incapable of creating himself." Pierre Kotzé

#6 Island Life

Island Life

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • SA Location:Johannesburg
  • Landed:Jul 2007
  • Interests:Why &quot;Island Life&quot; - well before I arrived in Canada, I lived in the Cayman Islands (for 5 years) and it was while there that I joined the forum. Like all nicknames or handles, it kind of grows on you and is hard to change once you become used to it! As the saying goes &quot;no man is an island&quot; and so I was pleased to leave one of the smallest countries in the world and move to one of the largest.<br />

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

Good question boeg. From this website: http://news.gc.ca/we...rticleid=371869

" The E-LMO pilot project is a two-step process. Employers will first be assessed to determine their eligibility to participate in the pilot project. To become eligible to participate in the pilot project, employers will be required to confirm in writing, by signing the E-LMO eligibility form, that:

(a) the occupations they are applying for are consistent with their principle business activities;
(;) they have been in operation for a minimum of 12 consecutive months and that, during these months, they employed at least one worker; and
© they will respond to a Service Canada officer's telephone call to confirm that all the information provided is accurate.

Once their eligibility has been established, employers can request LMOs under the pilot project to be processed within five days upon receipt of their completed application. For 21 additional occupations, this is a significant reduction from the current processing time of up to five months. "

Don't forget though that once you have your LMO you still need to convince the visa officer processing your work permit application that you have the requisite skills, ie. can carry a tray without wobbling!

#7 natalieh

natalieh

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Interests:Helping others with immigration to Canada, Volunteering, Real Estate, Interior Design

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

Are Canadian employers really so desperate they would import a waitress from deepest Afrique?!? If so, I am equally desperate to be that waitress!

Would you be willing to sign a one year contract with employers if they were to employ you? I think this is the challenge for employers, they go to all the trouble of the LMO and then they aren't able to retain those employees, thus having to go through the whole rigmarole again.

#8 hennie_dup

hennie_dup

Certified Addict!

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

Would you be willing to sign a one year contract with employers if they were to employ you? I think this is the challenge for employers, they go to all the trouble of the LMO and then they aren't able to retain those employees, thus having to go through the whole rigmarole again.

Speaking for myself, if it means I get to Canada in 3-6 months instead of 18-24 months from now, from where I stand I still win. A one year contract would mean guaranteed employment, one year Canadian experience, and a start in Canada instead of treading water in SA. Even after the one year I'm still ahead on where I would have been waiting for a skilled worker application...

#9 Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Citizen

• Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

Love your attitude, Hennie....that's the way to win Canadian hearts. ;)

#10 Guest_Karin Nell_*

Guest_Karin Nell_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

Had a quick look at the advertised jobs in the hospitality industry... It seems like most require that you have a B Com degree or quite a bit of experience in the hospitality industry... Unfortunately never finished my degree...

#11 johankok

johankok

Citizen

• Members
  • 2,274 posts
  • SA Location:Vrystaat, Pretoria, Centurion, Durbanville
  • Language:Afrikaans

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

Don't forget though that once you have your LMO you still need to convince the visa officer processing your work permit application that you have the requisite skills, ie. can carry a tray without wobbling!

Carry a tray without wobbling - this will require some practice.... Hennie, looks like you're still in with the qualifications.

#12 hennie_dup

hennie_dup

Certified Addict!

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

Carry a tray without wobbling - this will require some practice.... Hennie, looks like you're still in with the qualifications.

Ha-ha, you forget the burgers I can put together (and carry) back to my chair. If carrying a tray is all they need I'll pass with flying colours, believe me :(

#13 Blesbuck

Blesbuck

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • SA Location:Pretoria, ZA
  • Landed:Jan 2009
  • Interests:Nature and our dogs. Films, books, history, politics and everything about moving to Canada

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

Johan, jy vergeet die man kan 'n halwe bees in 'n bord dra en opeet ook
The Blesbuck is one of the antelope that are endemic to South Africa, thus found naturally nowhere else in the world

"Far below, we leave forever
Dreams of what we were"

#14 Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Citizen

• Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:09 AM

Had a quick look at the advertised jobs in the hospitality industry... It seems like most require that you have a B Com degree or quite a bit of experience in the hospitality industry... Unfortunately never finished my degree...

What about positions for a Front Desk Clerk?
As far as I know it's listed under the PNP's strategic occupations. :D

#15 natalieh

natalieh

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

Unfortunately Front Desk Clerk is a low skilled occupation and in BC one cannot apply for PNP. You could in Alberta though.

#16 Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Citizen

• Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

Unfortunately Front Desk Clerk is a low skilled occupation and in BC one cannot apply for PNP. You could in Alberta though.

I think the information has changed and been updated, Natalieh....

Strategic Occupations

The Strategic Occupations component of the BC PNP supports BC employers who need to recruit or retain highly qualified foreign workers to help meet their current and future skill needs, and whose activities contribute to the Province’s economic development objectives. The employer and the prospective employee (nominee candidate) submit a joint application to the program.
http://www.ecdev.gov...s/PNP/index.htm

The Strategic Occupations component of the BC PNP is focused on supporting industries that are priorities for economic development:

Construction
Information technology and new media
Film and television production
Life sciences
Clean energy technologies
Manufacturing and processing
Aerospace
Engineering and environmental services
International financial and business services
Health services and post-secondary education
Tourism and hospitality
Oil and gas
Mining
Other business activities contributing to economic expansion and diversification outside of the Greater Vancouver Regional District
http://www.ecdev.gov...SO/index_so.htm

http://www.canada.co...t...aa4&k=46604

30,000 foreign workers may be headed for B.C.
The Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, January 14, 2008
VANCOUVER -- Employers in British Columbia and Alberta can expect speedier approval for hiring foreign workers in a greater number of qualifying fields when there are no Canadian citizens or permanent residents available to fill the positions.
Human Resources and Social Development Canada today announced the expansion of the Expedited Labour Market Opinion pilot project (E-LMO), which began in September 2007, from 12 to 33 occupations.
"Our Government is committed to help businesses who face pressures from labour shortages, which is why we're adding 21 new occupations to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program pilot project which we announced last September," said Minister Solberg in a written statement.

"Our Government is committed to help businesses who face pressures from labour shortages, which is why we're adding 21 new occupations to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program pilot project which we announced last September," said Minister Solberg in a written statement.

"The 33 occupations now included in this pilot represent 50 per cent of the total volume of labour market opinion applications from employers in B.C. and Alberta."
The 12 high-demand occupations that qualified under the prior E-LMO announcement are:
carpenters
crane operators
construction labourers
hotel front desk clerks
food and beverage servers
food counter attendants
food service supervisors
registered nurse
dental technicians
pharmacists
snowboard and ski instructors
and retail sales persons and sales clerks.

Today's announcement adds the following occupations to the list:
steamfitters and pipefitters,
ironworkers,
heavy-duty equipment mechanics,
machinists, roofers,
industrial electricians,
welders, surveyor helpers,
commercial janitors and caretakers,
specialized cleaners, mechanical engineers,
civil engineers,
electrical and electronics engineers,
petroleum engineers,
mechanical engineering technologists,
hotel and hospitality room attendants,
industrial meat cutters,
courier drivers,
residential cleaning and support workers,
manufacturing and processing labourers,
and tour and travel guides.

Additionally, the application waiting period for an employer will drop from the maximum of five months to just five days.

The Pilot will continue to run in B. C. and Alberta until September 2008.

"We anticipate needing to attract 30,000 workers with specific skills to British Columbia each year to help meet our labour and skills shortage challenges," said Colin Hansen, British Columbia Minister of Economic Development in a written statement.
"By expanding the number of occupations included in this pilot project, more employers will now benefit from having better and faster access to the temporary foreign workers they need."
"Expanding this pilot to include so many more construction occupations is just more good news for the industry," said Manley McLachlan, President of the British Columbia Construction Association in a written statement.
"Construction projects across British Columbia need workers, and this will help us get those workers in a more timely fashion and keep these projects going."
In Budget 2007, the federal government committed an additional $50.5 million over two years to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program to reduce processing delays, and to respond more effectively to regional labour and skill shortages, so employers can better meet their human resource needs.

My emphasis added. :D
I think it brings hope to many people who are skilled in the various areas/fields.

#17 natalieh

natalieh

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:49 AM

Yes, the E-LMO pilot allows for temporary work permits for front desk clerks. However, since Front Desk clerks is a skill level C on the NOC it doesn't qualify for BC PNP. Only those with occupations in skill levels O,A and B can apply for BC PNP.

http://www.ecdev.gov...lledworkers.htm

#18 Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Citizen

• Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:51 AM

Those who are in the Tourism & Hospiutality Industry, may find this 2005 report very interesting:

In Short Supply:
Addressing Labour Shortages in the Tourism Sector through Immigration

http://www.cthrc.ca/...hort_supply.pdf

#19 Guest_Karin Nell_*

Guest_Karin Nell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

Thanks.

I don't think we will actually consider me getting a job and hubby sit at home. Compared to what he earns, I will earn peanuts... Will just hold thumbs that he gets a job.

#20 Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Citizen

• Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

Yes, the E-LMO pilot allows for temporary work permits for front desk clerks. However, since Front Desk clerks is a skill level C on the NOC it doesn't qualify for BC PNP. Only those with occupations in skill levels O,A and B can apply for BC PNP.
http://www.ecdev.gov...lledworkers.htm

So how does a Front Desk Clerk apply for PR then?
Lets' say the person has a Tourism Diploma, they may have enough points to qualify for the skilled workers' category.
But what if they don't?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users