Sign in to follow this  
spanner

Police clearance

Island Life

OK, back from a very interesting session today. Lennard, Bubbles - the answer is Yes, you may submit to Buffalo. The link Natelieh provided is exactly the except that they quoted from. The big BUT when I asked this question was that if you need a visa to go to the States then you may not get a visa (some nationalities have big problems getting visa's for the States, example given at the seminar today was Philipines) and therefore if you are called for an interview or to come and collect your visa in Buffalo you may be declined entry into the States to attend that interview and therefore cannot claim your visa! For this reason, the official advice was that it is recommended to apply through an office that you can travel to if you need to attend an interview as the onus is on you to get there. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Natelieh, I also heard today that the immigration Minister is due to make an announcement next week that would "be of specific interest to work permit and PNP applicants in BC and Alberta" (direct quote) but he would not reveal what this would be so as not to scoop the Minister. However, during the Q&A session he hinted that this could relate to either further skills being added to the E-LMO list or Alberta & BC LMO wait times being significantly reduced, or both! So I don't know, but thought I would mention this to you. Hopefully your wait time will be coming to an end very soon!

natalieh

Thank You Island Life. Very interesting indeed!!

I sincerely hope not only for my sake but for everyone else waiting that something will be done about the ridiculous wait times. It really is hampering the employers from employing foreigners.

Or it could be the new Canadian Experience class?? I have heard rumours that it would enable us to apply within Canada.

Lennard

Thanks Island Life

Seems then to be a safer bet to submit the application in Pretoria anyway, as I am sure that I would be able to go there and they might even be faster.

Will keep in touch once in Canada, thanks to all.

natalieh

A little tip on US visa's. Apply for it before you leave SA. It will be more difficult to get it here.

It would really be a pity if you came to BC or the rest of Canada for that matter and you are not able to cross the border. I got a 10 year visa from the US Government and have been across the border many times since being here with no problems at all.

Edited by natalieh

Tammy

Hi can anyone help.. as far as i can understand the next step in our application process, could be updated Police Clearances and recent bank statements.

If we had to apply for the Police Clerances in anticipation of these requests - to save time, would this be acceptable - or will the embassy insist on a Polie clearance dated after the request?

Thanks for any help, Tammy

Dedré

Tammy,

You can apply for them now. But keep in mind your timing need to be impeccable, as they expire in 6 months. Should they expire before your file is reviewed, you will have to apply for them again.

You may also take a short cut. You can apply for them at you nearest police station, and courier them off by yourself. Include a self addressed envelope in the envelope you send off (remember the correct amount of stamps on it too), and those could take a month or so.

Flip & Ilana

Has anyone experienced this?

We were in Canada for longer than six months when we applied for PR - thus had to get Canadian police clearances as well. Applied for these at Ottowa in July 07, at same time applied for new SA clearances.

Got the SA clearances back within 6 weeks and submitted it with application to CHC. CA police clearance still not ready by Nov, thus we had to go for new medicals, as these expired in Nov. Submitted new medicals to CHC.

It is now January (160+ days since they started processing our police clearance) and the CA clearances are still not ready!!!!

We are ready to pull our hair out, because you cannot contact Ottowa directly - just email and hope for a reply....

This is very frustrating. Two other couples that we know recieved their CA clearances back within 4 weeks!!

How can this be.......?

natalieh

As far as I know one isn't required to do CA police clearances because CIC will request these directly from the RCMP.

Only if they red flag you they will tell you to go for fingerprints. See link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/s...rica/canada.asp

By the way, how did you go about getting your SA clearances done from Canada?

Edited by natalieh

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
As far as I know one isn't required to do CA police clearances because CIC will request these directly from the RCMP.

Only if they red flag you they will tell you to go for fingerprints. See link below:

By the way, how did you go about getting your SA clearances done from Canada?

Answers to both these topics on page 1 of this thread...

I am not sure that it is correct to say that CIC will request the police certificates directly from the RCMP. The onus is on the applicant as one is still supposed to go for fingerprints at one's local detachment. (Link to this also on page 1.)

As your link states, Natalieh-one only does them when and if requested by CIC:

How to obtain a police certificate

Canada

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

No. The Canadian visa office will notify applicants if RCMP fingerprint checks are required.

Edited by Ingrid Hurrell

natalieh
Has anyone experienced this?

We were in Canada for longer than six months when we applied for PR - thus had to get Canadian police clearances as well. Applied for these at Ottowa in July 07, at same time applied for new SA clearances.

Got the SA clearances back within 6 weeks and submitted it with application to CHC. CA police clearance still not ready by Nov, thus we had to go for new medicals, as these expired in Nov. Submitted new medicals to CHC.

It is now January (160+ days since they started processing our police clearance) and the CA clearances are still not ready!!!!

We are ready to pull our hair out, because you cannot contact Ottowa directly - just email and hope for a reply....

This is very frustrating. Two other couples that we know recieved their CA clearances back within 4 weeks!!

How can this be.......?

I'm a bit worried about submitting my PR application to Pretoria when I read posts like these. CHC Pretoria is supposed to know that you don't have to submit Canadian police clearances with your application.

By the way, in my PNP pack from BC PNP on how to apply for PR I received these instructions with regards to Police Clearances in Canada:

"It is no longer necessary to apply for your RCMP clearances. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is now doing this on your behalf via a name and date of birth check. CIC may still request a full fingerprint check, but if they require this information, you would be contacted directly by CIC and it is expected that this would only be necessary on rare occasions."

Edited by natalieh

Are you reluctant to apply through Buffalo, Natalieh?

natalieh

BC PNP issued my PNP certifcate to Pretoria, so I have to apply through Pretoria.

BC PNP issued my PNP certifcate to Pretoria, so I have to apply through Pretoria.

Oh, OK...is there a way to have the certificate transferred to Buffalo?

I know our category was different, but Buffalo was really fast and very efficient with our application.

You have come a long way though...at least things are moving for you now! ;)

natalieh

I am going to contact my program officer and ask him. I would prefer this as most PNP cases are processed in Buffalo and they are very efficient as you say.

Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel for us. We began this journey 11 years ago and finally we are realising our dream!

We fell in love with Canada In 1997 when we lived here for about 9 months (in Toronto). Then we moved to England and back to South Africa. We've come full circle and are ecstatic that it is finally happening for us.

Edited by natalieh

Flip & Ilana
I'm a bit worried about submitting my PR application to Pretoria when I read posts like these. CHC Pretoria is supposed to know that you don't have to submit Canadian police clearances with your application.

."

Well.......We're doing this almost 80% on our own, and assumed that the "clearance from all countries where you lived 6 months or longer" included Canada. If this was a mistake on our part, I'm going to kick the bedinges out of something...! aaargh! Should have read up a bit more I suppose.

Anyways, just when I lost my cool about the wait and posted on the forum..... the bleddie things showed up in the mail today. yeah!! (mistake or not, I feel like I won the lotto).

Now I know for sure that our application can go on. Fresh police clearances, fresh medicals....how's about a fresh PR approval one of these days......

Our SA clearances application from Canada - we got fingerprinted at our local RCMP and sent these with a request for police clearances to SA Fingerprinting services in Pretoria plux 2X R59 money orders. The completed clearances was then picked up by a representative in SA and handed in at CHC. I suppose you can ask a courier company to pick it up and deliver it at CHC too. Just have to specify on request to Fingerprinting services who will be picking up the documents.

Cathy
If we had to apply for the Police Clearances in anticipation of these requests - to save time, would this be acceptable - or will the embassy insist on a Polie clearance dated after the request?

I always recommend that you keep an up to date police clearance certificate on hand. Remember that Pretoria will renew them at no extra charge provided you apply for a renewal within a certain period (it used to be 6 months) of the original issue. What we did was get new certificates, and renewed them when the time came. The final ones which CHC eventually accepted were over 6 months old but I think they could see that they were "fresh" enough to use for processing.