Sign in to follow this  
spanner

Police clearance

spanner

Hi everyone,

Im trying to get all my documents ready for an in-Canada PR application but am stressing a bit about these police clearances. How can I get the certificates from South Africa if I'm living in Canada? I phoned Kirstenhoff police station (maybe not my best idea ever) and they told me that I have to get a set of fingerprints to them somehow!

How long will the process take? Can I still apply for PR and then and give the Canadian government the certificates when they arrive?

Unfortunately, I also did the two year thing in the UK so do I have to get police clearances from there as well?

Any help on these matters will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Hi Thomas

We had our fingerprints done at a police station in the USA, then sent it to relatives who applied on our behalf. Seems to go quicker if someone hands it in/collects it again.

Here is some information for you:

From CIC's website :

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/seat...tificate-en.asp

SA govt website:

http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/policeclear.htm

Guest CharlvS
Hi everyone,

Im trying to get all my documents ready for an in-Canada PR application but am stressing a bit about these police clearances. How can I get the certificates from South Africa if I'm living in Canada? I phoned Kirstenhoff police station (maybe not my best idea ever) and they told me that I have to get a set of fingerprints to them somehow!

How long will the process take? Can I still apply for PR and then and give the Canadian government the certificates when they arrive?

Unfortunately, I also did the two year thing in the UK so do I have to get police clearances from there as well?

Any help on these matters will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there!

You would somehow have to get fingerprints taken where you live now and send that off to your SA police station.

As for the "two-year UK thing"... yes, you would need to get police clearance for this as well, although they don't call it that over there, they refer to it as a "subject access". A good place to start is perhaps here. At least the UK boys are quite sharp and you should have your papers in about two weeks.

Hope this helps! ;)

Regards,

Charl

Michal
.........so do I have to get police clearances from there as well? .......

Yes ... you have to get a subject access. I received my subject access reply from the UK, in the mail one month after applying from Nairobi. It’s all very easy and they will follow up your requests on telephone if you have a problem or if there is a delay. The following link has some useful information.

http://www.muchmorcanada.com/index.php?opt...mp;Itemid=10716

Zanie

I applied for PR (within Canada) in March. The police clearances I had (SA and FBI) fell out of the 3 month period that's set by CIC. So CIC advised me to send in my application and then forward my Clearances as soon as I received them.

Now about the SA clearance... I had a hitch! lol... I went to the local RCMP office and got the finger prints done. Then I send it to my dad in SA ( he purchased a money order) and he forwarded it all to Pretoria... Note that this was in April...

Then the people in Pretoria cashed the money order and ditched my fingerprints! WHAT A PAIN!!! So I emailed them a couple of times and my dad faxed them. Needless to say that there was NO reply.

In August, I went to SA on vacation and phoned the Police clearance office in Pretoria. They did not know about the moneyorder or the fingerprints... Hmmm... So I had to re-apply! This time the whole process took 3 weeks and I received it before returning to Canada! Just had to phone them a couple of times to make sure the process was moving along!

Hope you'll have better luck! My PR application are being processed currently!!! So hopefully I'll have some good news in a few months!

Good luck!

Jean C

Spanner,

We needed SA police clearance for our PR application. My sister-in-law, in Midrand, works for a security company who can do the clearances in 3-4 weeks or she knows a woman who can do it in 1 week. (You obviously pay for this service!) We posted our fingerprints to her (sister-in-law) and paid money into her SA account and she then sorted out with this contact. From posting our fingerprints here in Canada to getting the clearances back took just less than 3 weeks! Let me know if I can put you in contact with my sister-in-law. (PM me)

Jean

Nydia

Spanner,

I'm so glad I checked the forum this morning. We're currently in Canada on work visas and would like to apply for PR, but are having quite a tough time figuring out which application forms we need to fill out and which guide we should use for an in-Canada application. Can you, or anybody else, perhaps give us some guidance here?

I was also wondering about the police clearance certificates, but now I have the answer.

Good luck with the application.

Nydia

Bubbles

Hi there,

Both me and my Husband arrived here on 15 November 2007 and we want to apply for Permanent Residence asap. My husband is here on a 3-year working permit and I have a 3-year visitor Visa.

I have read that you have to submit a police clearance that is dated within the last 3-months of your application when applying for Permanent Residence.

We submitted police clearances when we applied for our Visas.

Do they expect you to submit police clearances again even though we are already in Canada?

We requested another set of clearances before we left S.A. (just in case) witch is dated August 2007 (one month before we arrived in Canada).

Does anyone know whether they will accept these with our application?

and also,

must we submit our application at Buffalo in the U.S.A?

Any help will be appreciated. :lol:

Regards,

Bubbles.

Hi Bubbles

Welcome to Canada! :lol:

1. Police certificates:

Obtaining a Police Certificate

In some cases, persons wishing to enter Canada may be required to provide POLICE CERTIFICATES as part of the documentation necessary to be granted an entry Visa. Most authorities will require that the applicant provide fingerprints and pay a fee in order to obtain a Police Certificate. Do not request a police certificate from Hong Kong, or Canada until you are instructed to do so by a visa office. Further instructions for obtaining the police certificate from these authorities will be sent to you if one is required.

Canadian Visa Offices in the United States have STRICT GUIDELINES for applicants who require Police Certificates. It is imperative that those requiring this documentation follow the GUIDELINES listed below:

A Police Certificate, or certificate of "no criminal record" is necessary for every applicant age 18 and older who requires it.

A Police Certificate is required from the country where the applicant CURRENTLY lives, along with ALL other countries where the applicant has resided in for 6 months or more since age 18.

The Police Certificate should be issued by a NATIONAL or FEDERAL police agency where possible. Applicants may need to apply at an Embassy/High Commission if they are not currently residing in that country.

All Police Certificates must have been issued within the last SIX MONTHS. Outdated Police Certificates will NOT be accepted.

All Police Certificates MUST BE ORIGINALS. Photocopies will NOT be accepted.

All Police Certificates MUST be accompanied by an ORIGINAL TRANSLATION prepared by an accredited translator if they are in a language other than English or French.

More at : http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/seat...tificate-en.asp

2. Where to apply if you are living in Canada...

Yes, you have to go through Buffalo, NY.

Island Life

Bubbles

I am here in Canada on a work permit also, and have applied for PR. To answer your question, you DO need to get new police clearances when making your PR application. In my case I not been back to the countries that I had police cleances for so getting new police clearances would serve no purpose. I went back to the High Cimmission that first issued my work permit and explained this. They asked me to confirm this in writing and submit it with my PR application, which I did and it was accepted. So you need to account for your time from when you first got your police clearance until you left to come to Canada. IF you haven't lived in or visited countries that you had a police clearance for then you shouldn't need to apply for these again. Also you must have lived in the country that you are applying from for one year, so you can't apply from within Canada if you only arrived in November - you must apply from where you were living before.

Bubbles

Hi Ingrid and Island Life,

Thanks alot for all the information. I will then have to request a "subject access" from the United Kingdom as I lived there for close to 2-years on a Working Holiday.

Talk to you again.

Regards,

Bubbles.

natalieh

Bubbles, since your husband's work permit is valid for 3 years you can apply for PR through Buffalo or Pretoria.

Also, you mention that you don't have a study permit for Canada and that you are on a visitor's permit. Do you know that you are able to get an open work permit based on your husband's work permit?? You can apply for it from Vegreville. Likewise the study permit.

If you need more info please feel free to PM me.

Bubbles, since your husband's work permit is valid for 3 years you can apply for PR through Buffalo or Pretoria.

We applied for our PR through Buffalo after only being in the country eight mths.

(I had the application returned as I missed a question where the answer was N/A and I forgot to put NOC codes in, otherwise processing could have started earlier than Oct. as we submitted in Aug.)

Buffalo PR processing from day 1 (AOR:18 Oct 2006) took ten mths to completion when we landed Aug.2007.

I think Buffalo is faster than Pretoria...or so it seems...?

Edited by Ingrid Hurrell

natalieh

For applications with Arranged Employment it seems to be equal timelines. However, should one be called for an interview it would be much easier to hop to the States than to go all the way to SA.

Lennard

Hi All :D

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I don't quite get the issue on where to submit my PR application: I will be arriving in BC next week on a Work permit valid for 3 years and my wife on a visitors visa for the same period. I want to submit my application directly after I have been issued my work permit on arrival. I have applied for new police clearances today that my family will forward to me when they arrive. My medicals for the work permit was done in Oct 2007 and will thus be valid until Oct 2008, hopefully they might still accept these medical results for the PR application as well.

On the CIC web site it is stated that you must submit your application in the country of your present nationality (which is RSA) or a country that you have been legally admitted to for a period of one year (I will obviously have not been in Canada for one year when submitting my application).

I would like to submit my application in Buffalo, but acc to above I have to do so in Pretoria, but it was mentioned above that because I will be in Canada on a 3 year work permit I can apply in Buffalo - can someone help me out on this??

Island Life

Hi Lennard

Congratulations! Best of luck with the new job.

My understanding, like your posting above, is that you must apply in the country of present residence. 6 months ago, I was in the same situation you are now - arriving into Canada on a work permit. My company's HR department handled my application for PR, and they contacted the immigration lawyer we use and he advised that I had to make my application in the country that I had just left prior to coming to Canada (that was Cayman Islands, so I had apply in Jamaica which handles Cayman and a few other countreis).

I don't think you are being dumb at all - this is an important question. I am attending an immigration seminar today in Calgary, related to immigration of foreign workers in the construction industry, and the ALberta minister responsible for immigration will be attending - I will try and ask this question and get a definitive answer for you. I realise you are going to BC, but I am sure that as this is a federal matter the situation would be the same for all provinces).

Bubbles

Hi Lennard,

Nice to hear that there is someone else in the same boat as me and my hubby. He is also here on a 3-year working permit and I'm on a 3-year visitors visa. I will be submitting my application for a work permit next week. We also want to submit our PR applications, but I still need to get a police clearance for the UK as I lived there for longer than 6-months when I was there on a working holiday visa. So that's slowing things down a little. We have to submit police clearances together with our application because we are using the Federal Skilled Worker application on the Regular application process.

I have received mixed advice on the subject of where to submit your PR application. Some say that you must have lived in Canada for a year before you can submit your application and some say that if you have been legally admitted to the country for a year or more (in your case 3) you can submit it at Buffalo. I personally think that the latter is the correct assumption. Anyway, I want to make sure that everything is in order and will ask an immigration lawyer to assist me.

Island Life, you will be doing us all a huge favor if you could get the answer to this question at that meeting.

Lennard, all of the best! I wish you a safe flight, you won't regret it, Canada is great! We've been here for 2 months now and settling in well. If you and your wife want a little more information you can PM me and I'll help as best I can. We are also in British Columbia.

Lennard

Thanks Island Life, appreciate your effort.

Maybe my future employer's HR department will be able to aid me as well with the PR issue, maybe take a look at the PNP route as well.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks Bubbles

Glad to hear that there are more people in our boat!

Will keep you up to speed on what I find out and all worth while advice I can get in this regard, will consult with my employers HR department as well and see if they can give us some insight.

Glad to hear you enjoy BC, getting a bit stressed now with our date of departure so close......

Keep Well

natalieh

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ski...gular.asp#step3

Guys, please read the above link.

You must submit your application to the correct visa office. You must submit your application to the visa office that serves your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year.

It doesn't say that you had to have lived in that country for a year. This means that because you have been lawfully admitted to Canada for a period of 3 years, you are able to apply at the Visa Office in Buffalo. My husband having lived in South Africa for most of his life, but being a German National, can submit his application via Berlin even though he hasn't lived in Germany prior to his application.

Bubbles
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ski...gular.asp#step3

Guys, please read the above link.

It doesn't say that you had to have lived in that country for a year. This means that because you have been lawfully admitted to Canada for a period of 3 years, you are able to apply at the Visa Office in Buffalo. My husband having lived in South Africa for most of his life, but being a German National, can submit his application via Berlin even though he hasn't lived in Germany prior to his application.

Hi Natalieh,

That's how I also understood it to be. Thanks again for the advice and the link.

I agree Natalieh - as I posted somewhere else, we were here for a mere 8 mths by the time our application went in.

Could have submitted earlier but was just too drained from overdose of paperwork after moving here from Oregon.

natalieh

Bubbles,

You can submit your application without your UK police certificates. You can submit them when you receive them.

This will get your application started in the meantime.

Louis & Marion

In my case, after receiving PN, they office in Regina had me send my PR application to Pretoria. Reason - they are currently actually a bit faster than Buffalo...

Police Clearance: Took the fingerprints locally, paid the SAPS Criminal Record Centre via internet, and then couriered the fingerprints and proof of payment, together with copies of our ID's, to Pretoria. Phoned them when the certificates were supposed to be reasy (which they were), and then had the courier company pick them up (Fedex). Fedex then lost them in transit. Paid Pretoria again, faxed them proof, they re-issued them (toof just under 2 weeks), and this time Fedex got them to me.

Of course, I then included that with my application, to be couriered to Pretoia again....

In my case, after receiving PN, they office in Regina had me send my PR application to Pretoria. Reason - they are currently actually a bit faster than Buffalo...

Would that be for Provincial Nominees?

I have some friends who need to apply under this program...so would be good to know what office is the 'fastest.'

(We applied under Skiled Workers/with arranged employment from within Canada through Buffalo - that application took ten months.)

natalieh

I have also heard that Pretoria's processing times for both PNP and Skilled Worker with Arranged Employment is faster than Buffalo at the moment.

Edited by natalieh