Sign in to follow this  
dieulefit

New School Year

dieulefit

To all the students going back to school, university and or college and those little ones starting school for the first time - GOOD LUCK and may you all have a fabulous year ahead!

Island Life

My three start school tomorrow in Canada for the first time! They are so excited.

West Works
My three start school tomorrow in Canada for the first time! They are so excited.

If they have attended school in SA (obviously unless they are triplets some of them have) there might be some culture shock. The schools here by and large do not have the structure of the schools in SA, especially the private schools. You may have to really "babysit" the public school system your children are in (as a Canadian I am embarrassed to have to say that).

My stepdaughter was 14 on arrival in Canada, coming from a private school, and she derailed because of the huge differences socially between the different school cultures.

Not sure how other families have fared, but her transition was very tough. Being Canadian, I did not realise there would be such a difference for her :P She has since graduated and found her way, and our son is in a Charter School because the Public system here in Calgary was not for him.

Hope all goes well with them.

Edited by DaveN

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
To all the students going back to school, university and or college and those little ones starting school for the first time - GOOD LUCK and may you all have a fabulous year ahead!

Thanks Engela. :P

My youngest only starts the week of the 17th so we still have some time for a 'blaaskans.'

Adele

Thanks Engela,

My 'baby' starts Kindergarten this year and has a gradual entry program.

She starts with two half days one on Wednesday, the other Friday. Then she goes for a full day, with parents joining in after lunch. She will be in for 3 full days a week at a private school.

Her big sister is in Grade 4 this year. Which means when it comes time to 'buddy-up' I am going to have to request that they are either together or apart. They WANT to be together, but I think they should be apart. Well, the youngest already knows most the kids in big sister's class already, so finding someone she can buddy up with will be easy. Several have already slept over so she really is familiar with them. Only thing is, the oldest is fighting me more on it than the youngest!

I also want to wish those going into their final year, everything of the best! This is the best year of your life! Just looking through Facebook, and SAReunited and you see how many people comment on it being the best time of your life and how they miss it! So enjoy it and live it to the fullest!

jen1

Well my twins started daycare for the 1st time today and of course I am the anxious parent waiting by the phone in case they have a meltdown. They are only going two days a week for now, and then if they settle I will look for a part time job and move them to three days a week.

Cathy K

Our school only starts next week. :P

I believe most children are truly fed up with the holidays and eager to start school again. We have one really bored little girl at home. :blink:

Cathy K

GJH

Hey guys,

As one of said Students I appriciate the good luck. Goodness knows I'll need it haha. I'm a second year Student at the U of Calgary.

As for what Dave said, I know first hand what you mean about the culture shock. I started school here in Gr 9 and we weren't sure if we were staying in the Calgary area so we enrolled in RVVS and even though we didn't go out to class (its a school based on the Alberta curriculum but over the net) the change was incredible, I don't think it was as great as going to a normal school here, but it was still huge. Then I started at the U last year and the change blew me away. The absolute disrespect that some students have for teachers is incredible. But then they just need someone to stand up to them and they back-off quickly.

Cathy K

Well, today Ruby's school did the annual Terry Fox Run. We were marshalls in pouring rain, but enjoyed every minute of it. The big buddies of the little ones protected them all the way. Sometimes the smaller kids enjoyed a piggyback ride, at other times they were swung over small obstacles by older kids holding them by their hands.

A few got sidetracked by a caterpillar in an Alder tree (I had to help capture it), another caught a ladybird and carefully cupped it in her hand for the rest of the race. Most stopped for a while at the blackberry bushes and everyone was cold and wet when 3 o' clock marked the end of the race.

The new school year has truly started.

Cathy K.