Sign in to follow this  
Pippa

Apple vs PC?

Pippa

Hi Everyone,

I am an active member from www.saaustralia.org, and will be leaving for Australia soon.

Our plan is to buy a notebook as soon as we arrive in Australia, and we initially considered a PC (Sony VAIO VGNSZ483NC to be specific), but were recently told to rather opt for an Apple Macbook :) . I am no graphic designer, but my husband loves editing our personal home videos…. :whome:

I believe one can now operate Windows on an Apple Macbook… :holy:, but is is user-friendly? Can one Skype with an Apple Macbook or do you need a PC for Skype?

My ultimate goal with a notebook is to visit www.saaustralia.org, Skype my family and friends, writing emails etc.

Should one opt for a PC, Apple Macbook or Apple Macbook Pro?

I know that there are a few computer experts on the forum and would love to get opinions and suggestions.

Please help.

Bye, Pippa! X

johankok

Pippa,

For the purposes you described either would do. Unless your husband intends to expand his editing more to the professional side, there is no real need for the Mac. Having said that it is extremely friendly, you can run Skype or SIP on either of them. OSX is excellent. - if you want to get into unix as well. You will find that most original MAC software is quite expensive, however, on the unix side you do get very good software for free, most of the same software will run on windows as well. As a personal choice, if I want to spoil myself, then I would buy an Apple. However if I want to use the laptop in an office work environment, then I would buy a Windows based one. Either way I can rund most of the software for the purposes on either type of machine, except for high-end professional video editing, where the Apple would become a better choice.

Having said that, the Apple is way friendlier and easier to use, once you get the hang of it.

Edited by johankok

OneHumanUnit

Just another note that might be worth pondering...

Mac Book Pro comes standard with software called "parallels", which allows you to load multiple instances of operating systems in parallel. That means you can open Windows Vista or XP in a window, and copy and paste from it in OS10, and still work in a familiar Windows environment. Additionally, if your settings go funny on you, or your anti-spyware takes over the scene, you just delete that instance, and start with a clean slate.

Mac's going to be my next choice for this reason. Just a thought.

Pippa

Hi All,

Many thanks for the feedback ;) . I think I should spoil myself and get the Apple :) .

Lovies, Pippa! X

Alwyn

Pippa,

If you have not left for Aus yet and decide to go with the Apple, do some research on the price as it might be more affordable in Singapore or Hong Kong, depending on which route you take to Aus.

In general Apple hardware prices are controlled in each country. From memory Australia is more expensive than the Asian counterparts....

Edited by Alwyn

johankok

Go to SIM centre(s) or Funan for the best prices for those. The main tourist street (Georges if my memory holds) is generally much more expensive.