Sign in to follow this  
vinceb

Palm OS

vinceb

I have recently bought a Palm TX, and then struggled to get the specific medical books I wanted for it, written for Palm OS. Many titles written for windows CE, but little written for palm os. I did a bit of research and discovered that Palm had sold its OS development to another company who have apparently been slow in developing upgrades to the OS to compete with windows CE. Now apparently Palm is developing its own OS based on linux. No wonder Palm PDA's are cheaper than Pocket PC now! So for the moment it seems to be wiser to buy a pocket pc PDA rather than a Palm PDA. Palm OS will probably go the way of the dinosoar.

On another point, has anybody tried converting a book into electronic media? Recently I came across a radiologist who had converted about five textbooks into PDF files which he was storing on his computer. He made the valid point that it was a lot easier to carry a small laptop than five textbooks. The method he was using, was interesting. He used a 10 megapixel camera to photograph the pages, used OmniPage as an OCR package and then converted them into PDF files. He used a form of Google as a search engine. Has

anybody else tried this?

Christo101

Yup, Palm has sort of lost the plot, so to say... Has it really been 2 years since the last new Palm PDA has been launched?

But I'll remain a Palm guy - after my LifeDrive broke down I got myself a 2nd hand HP and a week after that a Tungsten T again... The HP choked when I loaded my 1200+ memos on it... And getting used to MS Mobile was just too much of a hassle...

About the PDF's, haven't tried it, should work, but you do get scanners specifically for books, but then you have to pick it up & turn the pages each time... Sounds like a faster solution at least! And then use PalmPDF to read them on your TX...