Sign in to follow this  
Simba

Terug na SA (Mosselbaai)

Simba

Goeie dag Hendie

Dankie dat jy die forum begin het. Dit was my uitsluitlike doel om ander se opinies te hoor en te hoor hoe ander voel wat reeds terug is of was.

Ons is in 'n situasie omdat my man afbetaal is hier en hy nog nie Kanadese papiere het nie. Ons is bang om terug te gaan al probeer ons al die laaste twee jaar om werk daar te kry. My man het 'n wonderlike aanbod gekry en onder ons omstandighede en omdat die verlange na ons land SOOO groot is, het ons besluit om terug te gaan.

Ek wil graag van mense hoor wat terug is en nou in SA bly, hoe voel julle? Ek weet die geweld in George en Mosselbaai is nie so sleg soos in ander plekke nie en die SA Polisie dienste webtuiste wys 2 moorde laas jaar in Mosselbaai. Gister het twee mense van moorde vertel wat hulle van weet. Beteken dit die SA polise nie alles publiseer nie of is dit net mense wat ons probeer bang praat. Ek het 'n vriendin wat al 12 jaar daar bly en sy se dit is bog.

Dankie vir almal se ondersteuning en woorde van bemoediging. Ons het dit nou nodig maar wil ook die waarheid hoor.

Groete

Martinella

Cathy K

Martinella, Ons was voorheen woonagtig in Sedgefield en baie van ons vriende woon steeds daar. Hulle geniet nog die lewe, maar ook daar is die diefalarms harder en die diefwering dikker.

Die uitstekende polisiehoof van Sedgefield se rang is nou die dag verlaag en hy is geforseer om na Knysna toe te verskuif, tot groot konsternasie van 'n breë spektrum van Sedgefield se inwoners. Knysna/Sedgefield is deur 'n DA alliansie beheer, maar die ANC het nou met heelwat geknoeiery daarin geslaag om die alliansie te laat verbrokkel. Weereens dra dit nie die oorgrote gedeelte van die gemeenskap se goedkeuring weg nie, maar hierdie alliansie is heelwaarskynlik al teen hierdie tyd uit die kussings gelig.

Sedgefield en Knysna rammelinge.

Die ANC is stadigaan besig om te begin spiere bult in die Tuinroete. Die intog van mense vanuit die Oos-Kaap is verhaas en hulle begin feitlik onmiddellik nadat hulle in die omgewing aangeland het om allerhande eise te maak. Die dryfveer agter hierdie intog van vreemdelinge word (weereens) grootliks deur gerugte en riemtelegramme georkestreer. So is daar 'n gerug versprei dat enige iemand wat kan toon dat hy vee het, gratis 'n stuk grond (plaas) van die regering sal ontvang. Sedgefield se meer eksklusiewe woonbuurt (Cola Beach) het die afgelope tyd groot probleme met beeste wat oral wei - die eiendom van Oos-Kapenaars uit Ciskei en Transkei wat besig is om in groot getalle in die voormalige bruin woonbuurt in te trek.

Ongelukkig weet ek nie veel van wat in Mosselbaai aangaan nie, maar ek is seker ook daar is 'n streek koerant met voldoende inligting.

Cathy K.

Edited by Die Kotzé's

Gordon

Martinella, in case you think that I am trying to scare you I searched the murder on Google and this is what I found:

07/02/2007 09:18 - (SA)

Sonika Johnston, Die Burger

Dana Bay - Residents of a coastal community outside Mossel Bay were shocked after a man found the body of his wife hidden under garden refuse on their property. Elaine Venter, 66, was last seen about 11:00 on Monday. When she was found, her head was covered by a towel.

A piece of nylon rope had been twisted around her neck, but the police could not confirm whether she had been strangled, said police spokesperson captain Malcolm Pojie on Tuesday.

The deceased's husband, Amiel Venter, earlier on Monday left their house to go into town.

His wife remained at home as she was busy working in the garden with the gardener.

According to Pojie the gardener told friends who later visited the Venters that Mrs Venter was busy in the back garden.

Venter later returned, but didn't immediately notice that something was amiss. When he later couldn't find his wife or the gardener and realised it was "just too quiet", he became worried and went looking for her.

He found her about 13:30 under branches and leaves on a pile of garden refuse in the back of the garden.

The gardener could not be found.

What is written in another post about the squatters from the Eastern Cape is 100% true. They are being bussed in to make the Garden Route more black. Previously this was an unspoiled relatively crime free part of SA. Not any more.

Regarding crime statistics. Please search this forum and you will find that there is a 7 page thread discussing this topic. In short the SAPS lied about the crime stats (because they were getting out of control) and then refused to publish any further crime stats.

This may not be what you want to hear, but it is fact. Perhaps you should ask your friend / family in Mossel Bay why she / he has not advised you of all the above facts and why you have to hear it from strangers to whom it does not matter whether you stay in Canada or return to SA.

hennie_dup
Perhaps you should ask your friend / family in Mossel Bay why she / he has not advised you of all the above facts and why you have to hear it from strangers to whom it does not matter whether you stay in Canada or return to SA.

Gordon, no one is as blind as he/she who does not WANT to see... I am having the same problem convincing my sister of the reality of this country. My great fear is that she will not see until she or one of her young daughters get hurt, and of course by then it would be too late. Too many white South Africans still practice "volstruis" politics, thinking if they hide their heads, ignore it and just are careful, they'll be OK here :rolleyes:

Anyway, as you say, everyone has a free will to choose their own bed, and it does not matter to me whether anyone leaves or comes back to the country. I just sometime suspect that people do a LOT of research before leaving for a new country, but then does no real research when they decide to return, and think things will be the same as when they left, or rely on one or two opinions of people "back home" instead of doing the same level of research

Edited by hennie_dup

Talya

For our family it came down to one thing - our children. There was simply no future for them in SA. We left in 1996 and I would say it took 5 years for us to truly feel at home in Canada. Have been back twice to visit family (Johannesburg) and I found the last visit so nerve wracking that I have told my family I will not be visiting again. Members of my family suffered 3 incidences of crime while I was there - it was only a 3 week visit.

Martinella, I really do sympathize with you - Canada is tough at times. However we love living here now and If I were in your shoes I would be woriking really hard to get your family to join you in Canada.

I wish you luck for the future.

Talya

Simba

Morning everyone

That is why Im asking other peoples opinions on what they know and experienced or heard somewhere. I have been doing research for 2 years now and because I know there are dangers we are scared to go back. My husband is going next week and if he tells me we are making a mistake then I will not go back. I had friends in the same town were we live now who went back to SA and they are very happy there.

The crime is all around us but Canada is still very safe.

Sometimes I just wonder if being here by yourself is worth not being where you really want to be. There is no way in this world my family will come to Canada because they cant even take the winters in Empangeni. My mom came to visit and on the 7th of November I had to pay $140 in on her ticket to go back because she couldnt stand the cold.

Well I cant wait for my husband to tell me what he thinks about the place when he is back there. That may answer all my questions.

Have a nice day

Martinella

hennie_dup

All I can say is I hope and pray all works out for you and your family the way you want it to Martinella.

I am sure all of us here hope fervently that things in SA can settle down and that one can have a proper future for yourself and your children there. If you do come back, please keep us posted on how you adapt back in the new SA and how you experience living back in SA.

Fortunately we are all different, and obviously what is acceptable to one person (be it cold/crime etc) may not be acceptable to someone else.

Best of luck

macdonlg

Martinella,

I can fully understand your loneliness, HOWEVER, I very often sit & think about how lucky we are to be here. Think about it, yes you may miss your family, we do as well, but when you can go to sleep at night & not worry about who is trying to steal your belongings outside(we have all sorts of things on our deck, which backs on to a public park - touch wood but nothing is ever stolen in over 2 years now), your cars can be parked in the street over night, safe, your kids can play in the park by themselves, safely, they can walk to school by themselves, safely, you as a female can get in your car & drive anywhere you want at any time of the day or night & be safe.

I used to live in a security complex in Pretoria, & was part of our unofficial neighborhood watch, where 3 of us went out as needed with weapons to fend of wood be burglars. I caught one trying to break into our house at 3 one morning, & was forced to take a shot at him. Now I get in bed & just go to sleep, no worries about who is trying to steal my car or steal my BBQ or break into my house........this has got to be so much better than going home.

Next you need to consider your economic standard here vs home.......someone told me a few years ago that here you have quality of life, at home you have a great standard of living........think about it.!

Think about why there are so many people in the que waiting to come here, & you want to go back.....& then also think about the black/white issue at work. I had many balck people at work that respected me & also reported to me, but I could never get that feeling out of my mind that should I make one wrong move there would be issues.........here there is none of that(or at least it is not nearly the same level)

Please think about this very carefully. I still have 1 brother in SA & would do anything to get him out, I just cannot think that anyone would want to go back now after being here for a period of time & got to realise just how great this country is. I don't think you have weighed the pro's & con's properly.

In conclussion you have to live your own life so I won't judge the decision you both make, I will just wish you good luck with whatever you decide.

Lance.

Cathy K

Martinella, ek kan nie eers begin om te vertel hoeveel deernis ek met julle het nie. Ouens soos ons, wie se hele gesin in Noord-Amerika is, besef nie altyd hoe groot die verlange na die bekende en familie is vir diegene wie stoksielalleen die groot tog aanpak nie. Na meer as ses jaar hier droom ek steeds van vier-uur koffie saam met ons viende van die afgelope vyftig jaar. Ek wil my ou moedertjie vashou en straat braaivleise reël met ouens wie vir dieselfde grappe as ek lag.

My raad aan julle sal dieselfde wees as aan enige iemand anders. Laat jou man gaan kyk. Hy klink oop kop en sal gou weet of hy steeds inpas in 'n veranderde Suid-Afrika. Indien dit enigsins moontlik sou wees, sou dit goed wees as julle kon vasbyt totdat julle Kanadese burgerskap het. Jou man se kwalifikasies is by uitstek gesog in plekke soos Calgary en Fort McMurray. Jou eie werksondervinding moes eintlik vir jou 'n uistekende pos in enige kantoor verseker het. Het julle dit nooit oorweeg om na Alberta toe te verhuis nie?

Ek weet! O, ek weet! Die verlange na jou geliefdes en die bekende is met tye verskriklik moeilik om te hanteer. Daarvoor het ek nie raad nie. Vir my keer dit partykeer terug met 'n passie, soms aangewakker deur iets so eenvoudig soos die reuk van blousalie (of dan Siberian sage in Kanada).

Ek self weet onwrikbaar: in Suid-Afrika sal ek nooit weer kan aanpas nie. 'n Egte, ware Kanadees sal ek nooit regtig wees nie. Ek is baie lief vir Kanada en sy mense, en my eie Suid-Afrika soos ek dit geken het, is vir altyd verlore. Dit was 'n plek waar die deernis tussen mense nog nie plek gemaak het vir 'n allesverterende haat nie. In my Suid-Afrika was daar nog hoop....

Cathy K.

Georgie

I agree with Cathy. My beloved South Africa as I knew it, is no more ..........

I have been in Toronto for 13 years and I will never be a true Canadian. My children and my husband are happy and very settled, I burn with longing for the smells, the highveld, the bright blue sky and so much more.

The distance from my family breaks my heart and the guilt of not being there to take care of my aging parents is a pain that nags at me constantly.

We struggled financially and worked extremely hard for the first 6 or 7 years and eventually things have improved. As a family we have all achieved a lot and our lives are good but there are only 4 of us and the holidays are unbearable for me. I believe I gave up true happiness for the future of my two boys, a life free from crime and a certain measure of success. Was it worthwhile - YES! Would I do it again - YES!

It is a very difficult decision and I don't think either way is perfect. I envy those that are here in Canada and are totally happy, I will never be.

Georgie

Hendie

Hallo Martinella!

Ek het so 'n bietjie gevolg wat hier gebeur het met jou nuus dat julle wil teruggaan SA toe. Ek stem saam met Harry dat daar dinge gesê is wat kon gebly het, of wat in privaat uitgepraat kon word. Daar is geen plaasvervanger vir lewende lywe kommunikasie nie.

Ek dink ook jy het hier 'n gesonde kombinasie van voorspoed toewens asook waarskuwings uit eie ervaring van forumlede gekry. Dis immers waarvoor ons hier is, en ek is baie bly om te sien dat almal julle besluit om terug te gaan eerbiedig het, maar nogtans ook die geleentheid gebruik het om hul eie ervarings te deel, en julle dalk 'n bietjie van daai gemiste ondersteuning gegee het. Dalk bietjie laat, maar ek is seker dat indien ons geweet het van julle kwaai "struggles" om aan te pas, julle hier op die forum (én in lewende lywe) heelwat meer ondersteuning sou gerky het.

Alle voorspoed met julle planne, en kom deel gerus met ons julle wedervaringe. Ons luister graag!

Simba

:rolleyes: Dankie vir almal se ware ondersteuning en moed inpraat. Dit sal 'n goeie idee wees vir my man om terug te gaan en te kyk. Ek sal definitief aanbly by die forum as ek terug gaan en my persoonlike ervarings met almal deel vir die wat ook graag wil weet of dit so erg is as wat dit partykeer blyk.

Ek sal oor so twee weke seker weet hoe my man voel oor die terug gaan en hopenlik sal ek dan kan berus met ons besluit. As dinge nie uitwerk nie wil ons Victoria toe waar mens darem meer buite kan wees. Ek kry erg "cabinfever" en elke geleentheid wat ek kry soek ek 'n bietjie sonlig. Die enigste probleem is dan is ons nog verder van ons geliefdes.

Martinella

Inamarie

Ek het nie die volle bespreking gelees nie, maar wil ook my eier le.

Ek lees News24 gereeld en dit hou mens mooi op datum met wat aangaan in SA. Wat my bekommer is die probleme soos kragonderbrekings wat nou begin kop uitsteek. Mense wat duisende rande betaal het om Blou Trein te ry was sonder krag of water gestrand die week omdat die diesel op die trein opgeraak het die koudste nag in hierdie eerste koue front van die winter. Groot dele van die Oos Rand was sonder krag en Eastgate en ander winkelsentrums het miljoene verloor in 3dae sonder krag. Laaajaar was die wesKaap 'n paar keer in die donker weens kragonderbrekinge. Wat doen jy as daar later vir weke nie water of krag is nie?

Behalwe die 50 moorde 'n dag wat nou in die Parlement genoem is die week, is daar soveel ander klein jakkalsies wat kop uitsteek.

Ons geslag sal Kanadese burgerskap kry, maar die volgende geslag sal ware klein Kanadesies wees.

Die winters is baie warmer wes van die Rockies. Kom kuier gerus hier. Ons verstaan BC groei net so vinnig soos Alberta en dit lyk soos Knysna en die Tuinroete - al die pad tot by die see - 600 pllus kilometers ver. Dit is nie veel verder weg van SA nie.

Dit is moeilik om te besluit en die keuse bly julle s'n, maar daar is baie hulp en ondersteuning beskikbaar as julle sou besluit om te bly. Dit is moeilik om hier te kom en die teruggaan sal ook nie maklik wees nie - veral nie as jy twyfel nie. Sterkte en ons help graag met enige raad of inligting wat jy nodig het.

Inamarié

Gordon

Martinella, what Inamarie says is very good advice. My brother has been in Canada for 5 years and he chose the Okanagan Valley, near where Inamarie stays, because of the weather. I was not interested in Canada because of the weather until he told me to go and check out the weather stats for Kelowna. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that they have the warmest weather in Canada. They do not call the Okanagan valley the "Sunny Okanagan" for nothing - go and have a look at the numerous websites, there is even one called sunnyokanagan.com. Furthermore, Kelowna (main city of the Okanagan) is currently experiencing a big real estate boom and the construction industry cannot get enough workers. This is expected to continue for some time.

Personally, if I had to go and live in Whistler, where you are, I think that I would also be wanting to return to SA in record quick time. The property is far too expensive and I would be couped up in a tiny apartment that I could not afford to buy, the weather is miserable and it is a holiday town that only functions during certain months. I also do not think that I would be able to get a job there in my line of expertise.

Edited by Gordon

Marius O

Hallo Martinella

You've heard from those who are happy to be in Canada and will stay. Now I feel I need to add my 10cents to the machine and play my own song ...

In a nutshell, I went back to SA after spending 7 soul destroying, upsetting and generally awful months in Edmonton, Alberta. The town itself, though dull, was not unbearable. It had the most beautiful parts which I still miss to this day. We often think about our walks with the dogs in the river valley. Truly pretty. Certain things about Canadian society was enough to drive me mad but that too would have been OK. My problem was first and formaost a professional one. Having to deal with the power struggles of a xenophobic union and a weak employer. Being treated like a child by people who will never in their lives be presented with the kind of professional excellence I was used to in SA. It's a long, sad story but the bottom line is we are back in SA.

So, how do we feel about it?

We arrived back in March last year. I must be honest with you that the frustrations of dealing with the flood of bad news day in and day out can get to you. The crime, the arrogant politicians, the power failures, the corruption. OK, I'll stop there cos we all know what I'm on about. But, you know what? That all pales in comparison to what I now get out of being a South African ACTUALLY IN South Africa. Since my return I am a lot more vocal about those things that "krap". I write to papers, phone into radio shows, write to political parties and generally make myself heard. I cannot impress upon you enough the difference it makes when the "powers that be" hear that you CHOSE to come back to SA after having left. You aren't one of the "whinging masses". You have a different story to tell and, though they ultimately might not act on your inputs, it makes them listen.

Also, here's an interesting thing that I experienced last night...

I am currently not in SA but having a two week jol in the Far East. I've been in Hong Kong since Sunday and last night I went out to see a bunch of friends and ex-colleagues who now fly for Cathay Pacific. These guys have now really ended up with their "gatte innie botter." SA expats making huge salaries, HUGE housing allowances and only working 12 days a month - what a life. Getting their insights, and those of their Canadian / Kiwi colleagues about SA was so reassuring.

My one mate, who has been in HK for 3 years now, is here with his wife. His teenage kids are back in SA. After 3 years in HK they demanded to go back. They're now at a boarding school in Hoedspruit and life is one extended veld school experience. Conservation and studying wildlife is part of their daily lives. Not possible anywhere else, face it. The girls are so happy and they have so many black friends and they visit heen en weer. Totally happy back in the new SA. The parents are staying for the simle reason that they can save a lot of money before moving back to SA to "retire", long before 50. They have no doubt that they will go back.

One of the blokes, who lives in HK's version of Camp's Bay, says he'll never go back to SA. However, he spends 2 months at a time being temporarily stationed at a Cathy base outside HK. He has spent 2 months in London, Sydney, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris etc etc. Where ever Cathay flies. Point is, he says there are two places he would NEVER EVER go to. Canada and Australia. The only exception, he says, is Vancouver. He might consider that because of the milder winters but the LENGTH of the winters and the anal, PC, tree hugging granola munching BC types will also drive him mad. So he's staying in HK. He's been here for 6 years and still has all his property in SA and buys more from time to time. He says it's his best investment.

The Kiwi at the table loves SA. He says we drive like maniacs and the state of the taxis and over loaded trucks travelling at 150 is enough to make him have a nervous attack. He loves the weather, the cheap golf, the friendliness of the people etc. The usual stuff that tourists like. Interesting thing he said, though, was that after having been listening to Cantonese for the last few years, the black languages sound truly melodic and soft on the ear. And, again, he says the people in SA are truly friendly and look truly happy. Smiles are real, unlike Canada. (My opinion)

The Canadian pilot, from Calgary, was a pleasant guy. Nice wife too, from Edmonton. He had heard from one of my mates about the Canadian adventure and wanted to know more. So I told him the gory details. TYPICAL CANADIAN, didn't blink, didn't have an opinion, didn't react, didn't nod, head didn't spin around, nothing. Dead pan face. No committment toa view point. And there I was sommer "moerig" from scratch. What is it with that lot that they can't speak their minds? Offend me, make me laugh, cry, agree. Something, anything!!! GET A LIFE!!!

Sorry

Anyway, Martinella, my point is this. Everyone has an opinion. The most important one is yours, though. If you want to go home, if the thought of it makes you smile inside, GO GO GO. Despite a hickup here and there I don't regret it for a moment. We're totally OK with being back at home. It's not paradise. Ofcourse not, but it's home.

All the best and good luck to you during this tough time. I hope you come to a decision that will bring you a "riem onder die hart".

Mooi bly.

boeg
G Too many white South Africans still practice "volstruis" politics, thinking if they hide their heads, ignore it and just are careful, they'll be OK here

Head in the sand,

bum in the sun.

Isn't life grand?

(if you carry a gun!)

:ilikeit:

Edited by boeg

Snoepie

"Ons is in 'n situasie omdat my man afbetaal is hier en hy nog nie Kanadese papiere het nie."

Martinella, ek sien julle het geland Julie 2003 ... dis amper 4 jaar gelede. Ek weet nie of julle nog wag om landed te word nie en lankal al aansoek om permanente burgers te word, gedoen het nie.

Ek hoop julle geval is n les vir baie ander hier wat op n werkspermit is en nie die 1ste kans wat mens het om aansoek te doen, gebruik om landed te word nie. Mens soos n voel op n tak as jy nie permanente status hier het nie en in die geval waar jy bitter afhanklik is van jou werkgewer om jou hier wettiglik in die land te hou is dit altyd soos n swaard oor n mens se kop. Ek ken dai situasie baie goed ons was ook hier aanvanklik op n werkspermit en dit het baie nadele as mens dit elke jaar moet hernu bv as dit verval kan die kinders nie skool bywoon nie en mens het geen mediese dekking nie. Ek weet julle geval is dat julle nou nog wettig hier is totdat dit verval wat seker net n kwessie van tyd is.

Nou in hindsight : sou permanente status hier vir julle die besluit om dalk aan te bly hier en die beste van die saak te maak,vergemaklik het? of het julle maar nog altyd gedink Kanada is net n tydelike skuif ?

Baie sterkte met julle besluit

Harry
The Canadian pilot, from Calgary, was a pleasant guy. Nice wife too, from Edmonton. He had heard from one of my mates about the Canadian adventure and wanted to know more. So I told him the gory details. TYPICAL CANADIAN, didn't blink, didn't have an opinion, didn't react, didn't nod, head didn't spin around, nothing. Dead pan face. No committment toa view point. And there I was sommer "moerig" from scratch. What is it with that lot that they can't speak their minds? Offend me, make me laugh, cry, agree. Something, anything!!! GET A LIFE!!!

Marius is 100% correct on this point. It drives me insane too.

It seems to be the price one pays for living in a place where every murder is a national outrage and we sleep with open doors.

Oom.Dee
It seems to be the price one pays for living in a place where every murder is a national outrage and we sleep with open doors.

Harry

Maybe it is not so much the "price you have to pay", but rather the reason why it is so safe.

Deon

Marius O

That's probably true about the murder thing. But I still want to know why the shooting that took place not 30 meteres from my front door in Canada wasn't even in the paper? It happens all the time according to my canadian friends in Edmonton. If a murder occurs in an area which will make politicians uncomfortable, it is seldom reported. Especially if it's gang related. The liberal Canadian approach to immigration is going to lead to the same sort of society Britain has at the moment. Not something I would like.

Damn Hong Kong is HOT!!!! Ek sweet soos 'n os!!!!

Louis & Marion

Sometimes you get a curveball and that is how it is. You might have to eat your words etc.

The two things that all SA immigrants must remember are:

1. There is no perfect place.

2. South Africans have the tendency (in my experience, at least), not to be happy unless they can be unhappy.

(Ons is gelukkig as ons kan kla en moan...)

In whatever country you stay, you have to take the good with the bad. But you have to make the descision what bad you can accept, and what you cannot accept. Of course, when you have kids, the descision making process gets that more complicated.

dieulefit
Sometimes you get a curveball and that is how it is. You might have to eat your words etc.

The two things that all SA immigrants must remember are:

1. There is no perfect place.

2. South Africans have the tendency (in my experience, at least), not to be happy unless they can be unhappy.

(Ons is gelukkig as ons kan kla en moan...)

In whatever country you stay, you have to take the good with the bad. But you have to make the descision what bad you can accept, and what you cannot accept. Of course, when you have kids, the descision making process gets that more complicated.

Read this folks... so true! Spyker op die kop geslaan. If you find happiness within yourself, you WILL be a happy person even if you are living in Beirut. To leave a country is not necessarily that you are unhappy there - we were concern for the future for our children and that was the reason we left. My husband then had a dream and in that dream he was told to go to Toronto... I have shared this story somewhere on the Forum already. If you move for the wrong reasons, you WILL be in trouble!

CharleneK

So many of us left South Africa for the sake of our kids. I didn't have a kid when I left South Africa (didn't anticipate one either), but now that I have a little Canadian, there's one more reason why I cannot return.

So if you're here for your kids, use them to garner support. My best friends are Canadians, the parents of my daughter's classmates. We have wonderful, booze-sloshed socials into the wee hours of the morning (how did most Kindergartener's parents suddenly become middle-aged like me?), and I love them to bits.

Charlene

Merv

After reading some of these posts I now have to vent. The majority of Canadians I have come into contact with have this veneer of politeness and "niceness", but in reality, most of them couldnt give a tinkers cuss about their fellow man.

Cases in point, they will actively block you from merging onto the freeway (maybe they just havent read the highway code?), they will travel at high speed down suburban streets generating clouds of dust (we live in a new subdivision) and when it is pointed out to them they will either deny it outright ("but I was only doing 30"), or will get aggressive about it (until you show them that you are not being intimidated by them).

They also havent a clue how to drive on the freeway and use lanes properly. It is kind of amusing to watch them getting onto the freeway and then immediately move to the centre or outside lanes, and there they stay (with the cruise control on) until they have to exit (at which time they can be observed crosing 3 lanes of traffic to take THEIR exit)

The teenagers are FOS, we have a couple of police officer aqquaintances and they tell us these stories about apprehending teenagers and the first words out of ther mouths (after the f off etc) is "do you know who my parents are? We'll have your job...etc, etc". Now where do you think the teens learnt to behave like that?

I am slowly but surely becoming sickened by the people here, no backbone, there are no real men and the women think they are.

Vent over

Marli

:)

I have no problem with the generalized public in the circles where I move. I have some friends that are PC, but also who cannot care less about being PC. Case in point was a while ago when we were talking about religion on SACanada and the fact that you can never discuss religious beliefs in Canada. I thought it was hilarious when 2 days after the discussion on this site, one of my best friends (Canadian) started asking me some deep questions about my religious beliefs!

When I shared with her the opinions that South Africans have of Canadians, she did agree and said that as an example in her gym people will never talk about 'butt' - they will find another way of describing the derriere, but they will not use the word 'butt'.

Not long after this, I was in my own gym where my gym instructor was happily telling everyone to 'tighten theit butts'!

This was all highly ironic to me and served to prove that there are always generalisations and there are always exceptions to the generalisations.

With regards to driving...

Merv, perhaps people in Ontario drive differently to the way they drive in Vancouver. I've recently spent 3 weeks in SA and every day on the roads felt like it was going to be my last day! Compared to the agressive, impatient driving of South Africa, Vancouverites are remarkably calm and I feel much safer on Canadian roads!!

Edited by Marli