Sign in to follow this  
Adele

Langley: Annual SA Picnic in the Park and Potjie Competition!

Adele

A Southern African Picnic in the Park and Potjie Competition

post-433-1177477797.gif

WHAT: END of SUMMER PICNIC Braai's/bbq's can be enjoyed and games can be played by all ages. Whole families and all those singles out there to! Even those Southern African pets are welcome! We will have a bouncy castle for the kids to enjoy as well as lots of 'attendance prizes.'

WHEN:Sunday, August 26th, 2007 9am - 4pm, or later, once you start to have fun! The park opens at 8AM and it is a first come basis for the tables near the shelter (which we have reserved again this year).

WHERE:Marpole Shelter, Derby Reach, Fort Langley. I will be there earlier to reserve some tables and some grassed areas nearby.

post-433-1177477812.gif

DERBY REACH REGIONAL PARK

Located at the North end of the Township just off 208th street on Allard Crescent. Wander deeply shaded trails, walk fields once farmed by pioneers, fish the Fraser River, or imagine the bustle of a trading post while standing on the site of the first Fort Langley – includes an excellent fishing bar with overnight camping facilities, cycling on the Fort-to-Fort Trail and the Edge Farm Trail, off-leash dog area is provided at Edgewater Bar and horseback riding is permitted on the Houston Trail.

Everyone brings along:

Their own drinks and meat for the bbq and buns.

If you last name starts with A - M bring a salad and N - Z bring a desert for the share table.

Own picnic blanket, sun umbrella and lawn chairs.

Once again we have the covered shelter (which provides wood and a 'braai pit') but if you wish to bring along your own gas bottle and braai/skottel feel free to do so.

Don't forget the towels (the kids get muddy and wet), the games e.g. volleyball, badminton, RUGBY balls etc and for the more lethargic and laid back folks, your lawn chairs and pillows. ;)

Gourmet POTJIE COMPETITION

If you wish to participate in the competition, bring along all your paraphanelia, and cook up a storm for the judges. Tasting will take place at about 3pm. There will be a prize for the winning potjie. All entrants must be done at 3pm for the tasting so get started early!!!

MORE INFORMATION WILL FOLLOW AS WE GET CLOSER TO THE DATE

As always, we are looking for Sponsors for this event! Please contact me on Adele(at)SACanada.org for more details or call me on 604.575.4042

post-433-1177477654.jpg

Adele

Official Invite to the Picnic in the Park!

post-433-1183059232.jpg

Marli

See you there!

Marie-Louise

I slept to late again as usual! Is it possible to still enter for the competition?

Adele

Marie-Louise,

Yes of course you can enter the competition! Everyone is welcome. Last years winner had never made one in his life before!

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your creation! I am sure the judges will enjoy tasting it to!

Marli

Uhm... is there a deadline before which we have to commit whether we're entering the competition???

We will definitely be there, just don't know yet if we'll be entering the competition.

Bye from a not-all-that-hot Toronto!

Adele

Hi Marli,

There is a deadline of "before the actual day". I need to know the numbers to that I can arrange the space around the fire pit. Competitors get best seats!

Enjoy Torruno, as in BC it could be better...

Adele

Please read to the end for full details of this day. For more information I can be reached via my profile.

TO MAKE THIS YOUR DAY AND A SUCCESS, PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON

PLEASE SEE UPDATED DETAILS FOR THE DAY!!

RAIN OR SHINE!!!

According to the Weather forecast we should have gorgeous weather for the day. So, bring the family and friends and come and enjoy a fun filled family day!!!

BE THERE EARLY FOR GOOD PARKING – PARKING MAY BE LIMITED!

Directions to Derby Reach: located at the North end of the Township just on Allard Crescent.The park lies along the Fraser River west of Fort Langley.

Temporary Road Closure Directions –. The recommended detour route to access Derby Reach Regional Park is as follows:

From 208th Street, follow 96th Avenue east to McKinnon Crescent. Turn left onto McKinnon Crescent and follow to Allard Crescent. Turn right at Allard Crescent and continue to the Houston Parking Lot and the Edgewater Bar Camping and Day-Use Area. Follow the Large Pink Signs to the park from 96th Avenue and 208th Street! These signs will have an arrow and the words 2007 Braai on it.

Potjiekos Competition: PLEASE RSVP IF YOU ARE PARTICIPATING!!!

Are you a talented Gourmet Potjiekos Competitor? You could win a big prize and prove to all that you are THE Gourmet Champion!

You will need to provide you own potjie pot, ingredients, talent and love. If you wish to participate, then please contact me so that I can make arrangements for you to have some table space. We hope to get as many people participating in this as possible, so pass this on to everyone who has ever offered you a decent potjie! Judging will be done by invited participants and they will each get a taste of individual potjies. There is a criteria list that will be used to assess who will win first, second and third place. The judges will be looking for Aroma, Colour, Texture, Taste and of course Presentation. These are standard testing/tasting Characteristics. We use this criteria every year, but this is the first year, I am giving people an idea of what we are looking for.

With the dry season happening the GVRD has requested that we keep fires to a minimum and that we use only the fire pit and or gas barbeques. PLEASE NOTE: Gas AND Coal prepared potjiekos dishes will be allowed to compete. Please bring your own GAS equipment.The fire pit will have coal and wood provided. Families who prefer to only barbeque are more than welcome to do so.

Potjies Pots are available at Out of Africa Trading 604-821-0806 ask for Winston and at Safari Pies, ask for Pam (604) 431-7405 or contact them on info(at)safarifoods.com.

We are very happy that RWW(Rhodesians Worldwide) and ourselves have joined together to once again offer this wonderful day of Family, Fun and Friendships. Wendy and Allistair Ball have been hosting events for RWW at Derby Reach for the past 5 years and like myself, host an event at Christmas too. You can read more here about the Rhodesians World Wide. We felt that joining the 2 communities for this event can only strengthen the Southern African community in BC!

SPONSORS: If you wish to be a sponsor, please get in touch with Adele(at)SACanada.org. Apologies if I have missed someone.

Thanks to The Academy of Mathematics and Science & RW Dickason we have been able to reserve the shelter which has tables and benches and there are, in the surrounding areas, tables which are on a first come, first serve basis. The park opens at 8am, so get there early if you want a good parking spot and a table. It fills up fast!

Also a BIG Thank you to all the sponsors so far;

• Allistair & Wendy Ball of Barbeque Buddy, Langley
  • David of Aaron's Professional Supplies, Langley
  • Basil Chokie of Max Stores, Lower Mainland
  • Brenda Smit of Annique Products, Online
  • Brian & Bridged Lott of A Spot of Africa, Langley
  • Beverly Gracie of Cornerstone Gallery, White Rock
  • Brad of Nokia
  • Bob of M.B.M Metal Fabricators, Langley
  • Gerald Cilliers Financial Services, Lower Mainland
  • Daleen Robinson of Avon Products, Maple Ridge
  • Doug and Ann of Vantage Pool & Spa, Langley.
  • Ian Borton of Advanced Bending Technologies, Langley
  • IT staff at Freybe’s, Richmond
  • Ivan Khan of Cloverdale Dentistry, Cloverdale
  • Joe & Pam Queton of Safari Pies, Burnaby
  • Lake Okanagan Resort, Okanagan
  • Liza & Nixie Kriel of Avon Products, Maple Ridge
  • Nando’s, Canada,
  • Nicole of The UPS Store, Walnut Grove,
  • Rachel of JimMac's Neighbourhood Pub, Port Kells.
  • Rod, John and Mike of Murryville Town Pub,Murryville.
  • Robin of Duke of Wellington Pub, Langley
  • Winston & Helen Lee of Out of Africa Trading, Richmond
  • Adele & Michael Putter

If, you are a sponsor and, I have not included you, please get in touch with me. Thank you.

Adele

We will be selling Raffle tickets this year with the proceeds going to the Cancer Association.

So bring along your spare change and help a good cause.

Sally

We hope to be there in the afternoon. We are participating in a triathlon in the morning but will do our best to finish quickly and head over to Langley. I still haven't even been there yet! I am looking forward to meeting many wonderful South Africans.

love

Sally and Brandon Stelling

Adele

Hi Sally,

Sure we will be looking forward to meeting you and your family. Good luck with the race.

Seems the weather may change, but I pray it holds out for that day!

If you print our the directions it should be easily to find. If you wish me to email the directions to you, please feel free to PM me and I will reply with the directions.

Marli

Dear Adele and everyone else that attended!

What a great day we had yesterday! I think everyone had such an amazing time and it's lovely to see everyone meeting up and striking up friendships!

I will add some pictures to this sometime this week, but just wanted to say a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to Adele and all the sponsors and everyone that attended!

You outdid yourself and the power of positive thinking made the rain disappear and we had such a lovely sunny afternoon!

Adele

Thank you to EVERYONE who attended, and who participated in the Potjiekos Competition.

We have not totally tallied up the number of attendants yet, but we had about 200 people. We raised over $300 for the Fraser Valley Cancer Association. We had some wonderful sponsors and the BEST group of people yet, mixing & mingling around a braai that even Canadians were commenting about! The aroma's of the various potjies and the meat on the grill had many mouths watering.

I will be posting pictures shortly but wanted to say a HUGE thank you to all that made the event such a success.

Marie-Louise

It was a great day. We had so much fun. I am really excited about seeing the pictures.

Thanks again to everyone involved in making it a great day and great experience for all... ;)

Adele

Well after doing the obligatory upgrades from Microsoft, my computer refused to start. So will have to wait a bit longer for the photos. Using hubby's pc and I feel like an intruder! ;) I want my pc back!

Marie-Louise

Hey,

Is the Langley Times going to publish an article on the day... If so do you have any idea when? ;)

Adele

I will try to find out and also get a few extra copies!

Marli

I finally got some time to look at my pictures. Here are a few select ones.

The morning started out slowly, with rain threatening to spoil the show. But the die hard people arrived early and started setting up the venue. Here you can see two of the potjies that participated in the competition. The one on the right is called a 'super potjie' and is really useful, since its lid can also be used as a griddle.

We had many people from both South Africa and Zimbabwe at the event, which made for a great get together.

100_2833.sized.jpg

It was nice to see a real wood fire again!

100_2844.sized.jpg

One contestant modified his setup to work from Gas - a true Canadian invention!

100_2862.sized.jpg

The only problem we had with our 'super potjie' was that we could not adjust its legs. But, in true 'Boer maak 'n plan' fashion, we were rescued by Alistair from Barbeque Buddy who lent us this marvelous stand. We liked it so much that he eventually gave it to us. It is truly useful!

100_2863.sized.jpg

Some people take their addictions seriously...

100_2885.sized.jpg

The view next to the Fraser river was amazing

100_2889.sized.jpg

The judges took their jobs very seriously

100_2891.sized.jpg

I will continue the pictures in a next entry so there are not so many pictures in a single entry.

Marli

Unfortunately, I did not get pictures of all the potjies, but look at some of these mouth watering presentations!

100_2893.sized.jpg

100_2895.sized.jpg

The prize giving

100_2902.sized.jpg

100_2903.sized.jpg

100_2906.sized.jpg

I would like to extend a special word of thank you to people who sponsored the prizes we won in the competition. Adele thanked everyone, but these people sponsored our personal prizes.

Firstly, the greatest thank you of all goes to Adele, who so lovingly and with great effort got us all together and arranged everything. The other companies/persons who contributed to our prizes were:

Nandos, who gave us a gift basked of sauces, a free meal for three and free vouchers for their quarter chickens.

Nixie Kriel who donated a wonderful Avon skincare basket

Alistair Ball who so graciously donated us a potjie stand (He is from Barbeque buddy)

Duke of Wellington Neighbourhood pub who sponsored a meal

and Lake Okanagan resorts, who gave us a free three day voucher at one of their resorts.

Thank you to everyone else!

Adele

Thank you Marli!

I must say it really is a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to our sponsors.

Without them, we could not have had such a wonderful time!

RW Dickason of Academy of Mathematics & Science, Surrey

Allistair & Wendy Ball of Barbeque Buddy, Langley

David of Aaron's Professional Supplies, Langley

Basil Chokie of Max Stores, Lower Mainland

Howard Morris of Cloverdale Physiotherpay & Sports Clinic, Surrey

Brian & Bridged Lott of A Spot of Africa, Langley

Brad Ball of Nokia

Bob of M.B.M Metal Fabricators, Langley

Gerald Cilliers Financial Services, Lower Mainland

Daleen Robinson of Avon Products, Maple Ridge

Doug and Ann of Vantage Pool & Spa, Langley.

Ian Borton of Advanced Bending Technologies, Langley

IT staff at Freybe’s, Richmond

Ivan Khan of Cloverdale Dentistry, Cloverdale

Joe & Pam Queton of Safari Pies, Burnaby

Lake Okanagan Resort, Okanagan

Liza & Nixie Kriel of Avon Products, Maple Ridge

Nando’s, Canada,

Nicole of The UPS Store, Walnut Grove,

Rachel of JimMac's Neighbourhood Pub, Port Kells.

Rod, John and Mike of Murryville Town Pub,Murryville.

Robin of Duke of Wellington Pub, Langley

Winston & Helen Lee of Out of Africa Trading, Richmond

Adele & Michael Putter

I truly want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all those who attended. I love meeting all of you every year and of course all the new people too. It is back breaking work, but so worth it when you hear of singles becoming couples, family 'finding' each other in Canada, and of course new friends & 'family' being made!

Looking forward to bigger and better NEXT year!

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Looks like you all had lots of fun and lots to eat! :D