Sign in to follow this  
Harry

When the Loerie Sings Again

Guest Petros

Harry its good to see a vociferous supporter of a media method.

With the exception of morse code no media channel that has been created has ever dissapeared. Each media channel (or method) has its proponents and its detractors. As each new media is discovered and popularised the "older" generation typically throws their arms up and decries the loss of some "skill" supposed crucial to the existance of communications and message delivery.

I recall selling website services in the early nineties to SA corporate managers and had them all look at me like I was an alien. Why would someone want to communicate to our company via a website when they can and more importantly prefer to write a letter was a response I always got ---- based on their argument that no one had computers and people preferred writing and posting documents etc. Time and progress (as always) proved them wrong.

I am 48 and from the school of handwritten letters and cursive, BUT I also realise that progress cannot be impeded by adhering to something that has very little relevance in the wired world and more importantly to the thumb generation.

Are they less skilled in communication or perhaps less intelligent if they cannot hold a pen as we deem appropriate or that they cannot write in cursive? I think not.

So yes while I hear you and recognize in myself some of what you state I also respect the next generations methods and make sure that I attempt to restrain my middle aged male tendency to grumpiness. Too much anger at progress can lead one to value difficult (as in handwriting instead of typing) instead of results and personal choice.

After all they are the future and we have no choice really.

Guest Petros

Oh- I forgot to add that I am also looking forward to your book.

Guest Petros

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/07/07/cursive-finally-being-phased-out-of-u-s-schools/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2013/02/23/pei-cursive-writing.html

This topic really got me interested as I had never (until H's vociferous opinion) actually considered cursive writing and its future. A bit of research shows that the internet has been abuzz with discussion and debate. Seems like cursive's time is pretty much done in the wired world. Its a bit sad actually but I guess there will always be some calligraphers to keep the art alive.

Harry

After working on the subject for 6-1/2 years, and another year on its predecessor before that, I can announce that "the Loerie" went live on Amazon this morning: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUC5GYW.

Its ISBN is 978-0-9921590-0-9 (Kindle) and it is titled:

AmaBhulu - The Birth and Death of the Second America

Summary

When Krotoa sees the three floating houses with white wings approach the Cape of Good Hope on 6 April 1652, she cannot know how profoundly her life will change. Along with many settlers from Europe, and a few slaves from Southeast Asia and Africa, she will become a progenitor of the staunchly Christian Afrikaner nation developing at the Cape. Even the orphaned Ariaentje Sterrevelt of 1660s New York will join this short list. AmaBhulu traces a number of families past all the formative events in the history of the Afrikaner nation over three-and-a-half centuries. All these family lines eventually lead to the author and his wife, who tell the first hand story of life as ordinary people in South Africa, trying to make their way through the tumultuous second half of the 20th century. It is both a formal fully substantiated history of South Africa, and a human saga of real people who actually lived that epic history. Herewith the story of the country that gave the world the words "trek" and "commando", along with the personages of Mahatma Ghandi and Winston Churchill; the community that suffered the world's first large scale concentration camps, but who also gave us the man to create the League of Nations; the people who gave us apartheid, but who also brought humanity the heart transplant. It is the true story of ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances - settlers, soldiers, slaves, and indigenes. They farm, they fight, they triumph, and they lose, and they are variously hanged and fusilladed by an Imperial overlord, and mercilessly impaled and murdered en masse by savage African tyrants. In the end, it falls to the author to describe the demise of a truly unique country in a truly unique place. In 1797 Royal Navy Rear-Admiral Thomas Pringle feared the Cape Settlement would become a "Second America". This work holds serious warning for the First America if it wishes to escape the disaster of the Second America. It is compulsory reading for anyone who would presume to lead the West as we know it.

The very last Chapter is now titled When the loerie sings again.

Be warned that it is a massive download at 19.2 MB. That is because it is 400,000 words and some 250 images and diagrams. The work has some 1280 links to notes in the back and a bibliography of some 270 books and journals. Those links work both directions. This thing is B-I-G.

There are 120 clearly indicated Nexus Familia vignettes in which some selected families are plotted through the work, and the actual lives of those folks are described. This is therefore NOT Michener's The Covenant, but covers instead REAL people who actually lived. It took me years to figure them all out and get their information from obscure places and texts. That included hours in European archives and on obscure databases. Eventually, these lines converge and they turn out to be our family ancestors. That way, they provide the story of South Africa first hand, until I take over the painful role in the 1950s. They are quite often at the key events, but not always. Sometimes they are just ordinary folks struggling to make it through life at an interesting time, like myself. Two thirds of the text is formal history, containing the real letters that people wrote, while one third comprises Nexus Familia vignettes, but those include, for example, WWII air battles and the Battle of Blood River.

I wrote this book as my personal effort to do something about the current trashing of our collective history, our lives, and our very origin and being. It was precipitated by the near-genocide of white farmers and the callous reactions of some to that horror.

I should like to believe that AmaBhulu will become the handbook that every concerned South African will have hidden somewhere in the house, and will formally bequeath to his children, along with a caution to never repeat the mistakes, but to have pride in ourselves as a people. I have a copy of "Mag ons Vergeet" about the Anglo-Boer war. In my view, AmaBhulu is the Mag ons Vergeet of today. As the cover page of the old text says: "This book is not for those who wish to forget"

I wrote it as an East Cape Afrikaner. It is a part of the country where language is not an issue and many solid "Afrikaner Boere" are British Settler descendants. One of them put me up for a night on his farm in my 2012 photographic expedition. It is a part of the country where "English" folks, if the term even has meaning anymore, speak English with an "Afrikaans" accent. It is a part of the country where people do not mince words. It is a part of the country where everyone fought the same enemy and needed one another to survive - Frontier Folks; my people. They don't take well to parochial party-political stuff and haughty attitudes.

I wrote it as an Afrikaans grandson of an Ossewa-Brandwag man who was almost interned in WWII. I wrote it as an Afrikaner who married an English-speaking Afrikaner; the daughter of an English lady and a Afrikaans WWII Spitfire pilot fighting for Jan Smuts. I know that historic divide. However, it turns out the genealogy of the "English Lady" includes the Great Trek and a Irishman who fought for Paul Kruger, while that of the father is in Jan Smuts' Boland. So, my definition of "Afrikaner" is like "Amerikaner" - those who came from Europe and committed to South Africa, IRRESPECTIVE of language. To get a grip on that concept, read Deneys Reitz's Commando to meet the English-speaking Boer heroes.

Yes, the last third of the book has myself as narrator for the Nexus Familia vignettes, but there is nothing significant about me or my family. This book is what happened to all of us, English and Afrikaans, who lived through that period. I am merely a "dreadfully" typical representative who was prepared to do the research and the writing.

This is the story of all of us.... the story that the world should have known before sentencing us to extinction. But no one told it. It was extremely painful to write, and I am forever changed by having lived through the experience of creating it.

Reading AmaBhulu:

This work was designed to be a 700 page printed book of US Letter Size format. It has been properly reformatted for Kindle and displays well on there and on iPads, However, it is a vastly more elegant and enjoyable read on Kindle for PC or on Calibre, both of which are free downloads. There are specific settings of Calibre ( http://calibre-ebook.com/download ) that make it by far the most enjoyable way to read this book - vastly superior to any printed book. I can supply those settings to interested folks.

I have specifically elected to NOT implement Digital Rights Management (DRM) in the hope of improving the reading experience for people who have properly acquired the e-book. I trust folks will respect that.

I trust this work will be as much of an experience for people to read, as what it has been for me to create it over the past seven years since early 2006, when I first raised my pen on the subject.

• Like 1

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Congrats, Harry!

Trust your sales will soar. :ilikeit:

Linda

I am thrilled to read that your epic task has finally been birthed Harry, a huge shout out and congratulations to you for committing so many years and thousands of hours to document what I can imagine is going to be a profound read. I cannot wait to download it via Amazon. Well done, cannot wait to get started!!!!

• Like 1

robert

Well done Harry. The Kindle format works well, probably better than the printed version. The end of a journey of epic proportions for you.

• Like 1

Cathy K

We will definitely buy it this weekend. I still want to eventually obtain the printed version as well.

Edited by Cathy K

Sheryl

Fantastic effort Harry - I also would love the printed version one day. You have put an amazing amount of research into this gem of yours.

• Like 1

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

After working on the subject for 6-1/2 years, and another year on its predecessor before that, I can announce that "the Loerie" went live on Amazon this morning: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUC5GYW.

Its ISBN is 978-0-9921590-0-9 (Kindle) and it is titled:

AmaBhulu - The Birth and Death of the Second America

Summary

When Krotoa sees the three floating houses with white wings approach the Cape of Good Hope on 6 April 1652, she cannot know how profoundly her life will change. Along with many settlers from Europe, and a few slaves from Southeast Asia and Africa, she will become a progenitor of the staunchly Christian Afrikaner nation developing at the Cape. Even the orphaned Ariaentje Sterrevelt of 1660s New York will join this short list. AmaBhulu traces a number of families past all the formative events in the history of the Afrikaner nation over three-and-a-half centuries. All these family lines eventually lead to the author and his wife, who tell the first hand story of life as ordinary people in South Africa, trying to make their way through the tumultuous second half of the 20th century. It is both a formal fully substantiated history of South Africa, and a human saga of real people who actually lived that epic history. Herewith the story of the country that gave the world the words "trek" and "commando", along with the personages of Mahatma Ghandi and Winston Churchill; the community that suffered the world's first large scale concentration camps, but who also gave us the man to create the League of Nations; the people who gave us apartheid, but who also brought humanity the heart transplant. It is the true story of ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances - settlers, soldiers, slaves, and indigenes. They farm, they fight, they triumph, and they lose, and they are variously hanged and fusilladed by an Imperial overlord, and mercilessly impaled and murdered en masse by savage African tyrants. In the end, it falls to the author to describe the demise of a truly unique country in a truly unique place. In 1797 Royal Navy Rear-Admiral Thomas Pringle feared the Cape Settlement would become a "Second America". This work holds serious warning for the First America if it wishes to escape the disaster of the Second America. It is compulsory reading for anyone who would presume to lead the West as we know it.

The very last Chapter is now titled When the loerie sings again.

Be warned that it is a massive download at 19.2 MB. That is because it is 400,000 words and some 250 images and diagrams. The work has some 1280 links to notes in the back and a bibliography of some 270 books and journals. Those links work both directions. This thing is B-I-G.

There are 120 clearly indicated Nexus Familia vignettes in which some selected families are plotted through the work, and the actual lives of those folks are described. This is therefore NOT Michener's The Covenant, but covers instead REAL people who actually lived. It took me years to figure them all out and get their information from obscure places and texts. That included hours in European archives and on obscure databases. Eventually, these lines converge and they turn out to be our family ancestors. That way, they provide the story of South Africa first hand, until I take over the painful role in the 1950s. They are quite often at the key events, but not always. Sometimes they are just ordinary folks struggling to make it through life at an interesting time, like myself. Two thirds of the text is formal history, containing the real letters that people wrote, while one third comprises Nexus Familia vignettes, but those include, for example, WWII air battles and the Battle of Blood River.

I wrote this book as my personal effort to do something about the current trashing of our collective history, our lives, and our very origin and being. It was precipitated by the near-genocide of white farmers and the callous reactions of some to that horror.

I should like to believe that AmaBhulu will become the handbook that every concerned South African will have hidden somewhere in the house, and will formally bequeath to his children, along with a caution to never repeat the mistakes, but to have pride in ourselves as a people. I have a copy of "Mag ons Vergeet" about the Anglo-Boer war. In my view, AmaBhulu is the Mag ons Vergeet of today. As the cover page of the old text says: "This book is not for those who wish to forget"

I wrote it as an East Cape Afrikaner. It is a part of the country where language is not an issue and many solid "Afrikaner Boere" are British Settler descendants. One of them put me up for a night on his farm in my 2012 photographic expedition. It is a part of the country where "English" folks, if the term even has meaning anymore, speak English with an "Afrikaans" accent. It is a part of the country where people do not mince words. It is a part of the country where everyone fought the same enemy and needed one another to survive - Frontier Folks; my people. They don't take well to parochial party-political stuff and haughty attitudes.

I wrote it as an Afrikaans grandson of an Ossewa-Brandwag man who was almost interned in WWII. I wrote it as an Afrikaner who married an English-speaking Afrikaner; the daughter of an English lady and a Afrikaans WWII Spitfire pilot fighting for Jan Smuts. I know that historic divide. However, it turns out the genealogy of the "English Lady" includes the Great Trek and a Irishman who fought for Paul Kruger, while that of the father is in Jan Smuts' Boland. So, my definition of "Afrikaner" is like "Amerikaner" - those who came from Europe and committed to South Africa, IRRESPECTIVE of language. To get a grip on that concept, read Deneys Reitz's Commando to meet the English-speaking Boer heroes.

Yes, the last third of the book has myself as narrator for the Nexus Familia vignettes, but there is nothing significant about me or my family. This book is what happened to all of us, English and Afrikaans, who lived through that period. I am merely a "dreadfully" typical representative who was prepared to do the research and the writing.

This is the story of all of us.... the story that the world should have known before sentencing us to extinction. But no one told it. It was extremely painful to write, and I am forever changed by having lived through the experience of creating it.

Reading AmaBhulu:

This work was designed to be a 700 page printed book of US Letter Size format. It has been properly reformatted for Kindle and displays well on there and on iPads, However, it is a vastly more elegant and enjoyable read on Kindle for PC or on Calibre, both of which are free downloads. There are specific settings of Calibre ( http://calibre-ebook.com/download ) that make it by far the most enjoyable way to read this book - vastly superior to any printed book. I can supply those settings to interested folks.

I have specifically elected to NOT implement Digital Rights Management (DRM) in the hope of improving the reading experience for people who have properly acquired the e-book. I trust folks will respect that.

I trust this work will be as much of an experience for people to read, as what it has been for me to create it over the past seven years since early 2006, when I first raised my pen on the subject.

I just realized we were part of your history with this…knowing you were working on it, the times you asked for identification of some images etc.

As I posted earlier, congrats. I think we are all immensely proud of your achievement.

Merv

Congratulations, have purchased and look forward to reading

Boereseun

Bought mine too. Congrats Harry

Hendie

Welgedaan Harry! Myne ook gekoop. Nou net tyd maak om dit te lees!

dlam

Ek het my ebook gekoop vanmore. Kan nie wag om dit te begin lees nie. Ek het die Calibre afgelaai soos jy voorgestel het.

Harry

For those folks using Calibre; try the following settings:

Import the book, select it, and open the viewer. (The looking glass icon)

At the top right, hover the cursor over the icon that looks like a scroll, and make sure you have selected "paged mode"; if not, then do it

Click on the icon at the lower left that looks like meshing cogs ( likely fourth from the bottom on the left of the screen) - a window will open up

Under the "General" tab (ignore the other tabs):

- Font Options:

a] Serif font: Choose Palatino Linotype

b] Default font size 15px

c] Standard font : Serif

d] Font magnification step: 20%

e] Minimum font size 10px

- Text Layout in paged mode:

a] Number of pages of text to show on screen : 2 pages

[ x ]Check the box called "Override the page margin settings sepcified in the book"

b] Top margin : 54 px

c] side margin : start at 136 px and then reduce it until your pages fit nicely on your screen; this will depend on the width and format of your screen (mine, for which these settings work well, is 1920x1200)

--- if your screen is a more classic 1280x1024 monitor, then you need smaller numbers here; the issue is to keep a space between the two pages. See also "full screen options" below

d] bottom margin: 72 px

- Full screen Options:

Maximum text width in full screen : I suggest you start with 738px; and then adjust for appearance to suit your preference after that. It may need to be a smaller number for non-widescreen monitors.

Do not worry about any of the other settings, unless you specifically want to play with them.

Please note that you do not need to load and open Calibre if you just want to read an e-book. Just right click on the book file wherever you have saved it, and browse for an exe file called "e-book reader" in the Calibre directory, which is likely under "Program Files" on your C-drive. Next time you want to read and you right click the book file, you will automatically be offered that reader as an option. The rest of Calibre is all about converting book files and managing them.

Harry

Folks,

thanks for your patience with me over several years....also for the good wishes...and, of course, for buying the book.

Right now, a colour printed version is not at all on the horizon. It would be letter-sized; just on 2 inches thick; and would weigh between 5 and 7 lbs.

That is a very expensive product to publish.

Liz

Congrats!

Harry

Thanks Liz,

I should amend that previous statement a bit.

After posting it, I checked again on one of the print-on-demand companies, and they now offer a "print & drop-ship" service that might just make it possible to get a printed version of this massive book to folks for under $100. It will take some time to set up, because, perversely, they now want all images in CMYK (4-colour printing, like some home inkjet printers). So I have to systematically convert 250 images (if at all possible) and start the layout of the book over from scratch. That is a lot of work. So, it will take a few months, a bit of investment, a new ISBN number, and new CIP front matter information from the Canadian Government.

JJK

Fenomenaal! 'n Monumentale stuk werk! Ons kon nie ophou lees nie.

Harry

JJK,

dankie man..... ek is so bietjie plat teen die grond van sukkel om die e-boek by die deur uit te kry op hierdie stadium, en sulke terugvoer laat 'n mens sommer weer gees vang.

CharleneK

Ek's nog besig om te lees, maar ek geniet dit vreeslik. Wag vir my resensie op Amazon!

Harry

As my New Year's message here, I can now announce that the printed version of AmaBhulu is in its very final stages. I have somehow managed to shrink the tome into the printer's limit of 630 pages and I'm now completing the index. Nogal a struggle, this index; I have only 8 pages in which to index 570 pages(!). The technical specs are as follows:

Internal: Black& White

Cover: Softcover, Colour

Page Size: 8.5"x 11"

Pages: total 630p

front matter 10p;

body text 570p;

end matter; 50p (notes, bibliography, credits, index)

I hope to have it ready in February 2014

• Like 2

Harry

Charlene,

Dankie vir die resensie. My Amerikaanse redakteur/toetsleser hou aan om jou laaste sin aan te haal. Hy glo dis 'n baie sterk lyn en is baie beïndruk.

Miskien kan ek nou noem dat die eerste gedrukte proefafskrif môre hier verwag word uit die VSA, steeds volgens die tydlyn wat ek in die vorige pos genoem het - FEBRUARIE 2014. Die ISBN is 0992159016 / 978-0-9921590-1-6

'n Ander interessantheid, is dat die Amazon kantoor wat my gehelp het, nou uit Kaapstad funksioneer. Ene Shaun/Sean daar het my baie mooi gehelp en het baie lekker gelag toe ek vir hom noem dat my voorouerlike neef Xhosa koning Ngqika se stiefpa was.

So, 'n SA outjie by 'n Amerikaanse firma (Amazon) in Kaapstad (Suid Afrika) het my as ex-SAner in Vancouver (Kanada) gehelp om 'n boek oor Suid Afrika wat in Kanada gepubliseer word met Kanadese regeringsinligting in Amerika gedruk te kry vir uitvoer na, onder andere, Suid Afrika, waar hul drukkers nie kan kompeteer nie. Die mense by die Kanadese regeringskantore was ook baie behulpsaam en het baie uitgevra oor hoe 'n mens tegnies so 'n groot en komplekse boek met baie uitleguitdagings "gebou" kry. Hul belangstelling was as gevolg van hul goor ondervinding met grafika in e-boeke en die stadige funksionering van groter e-boeke. Hulle het baie aandagtig geluister na hoe die ontwerp van so 'n boek gedoen word. Dis werklik nie speletjies nie. Dis heel moontlik die mees komplekse e-boek op die mark. Dit het my by die 5 maande geneem om te verwerk in ordentlike e-boek vorm. AmaBhulu (die e-boek) is formeel in Kanada uitgegee op 22 Nov 2013 en is in die Staatsbiblioteek, maar is nie sigbaar nie omdat dit 'n kommersiële boek is.

CharleneK

Groot plesier. Die boek was vir my 'n "eye-opener." :ilikeit:

Harry

So, the print proof of AmaBhulu arrived today.

The printers have done a really good job, as best I can tell. In short, I'm quite happy.

It is, as I have projected, a very large softcover.

My estimate of weight was very close....it is 3.8lbs instead of my estimated 3.6lbs. They used a slightly heavier paper than I did.

If you're going to read this thing in bed, you are going to rest it on your stomach!!

It is bigger and considerably heavier than Herman Gilliomee's "The Afrikaners".

It will only be listed on Amazon when I give the word.

The printer has already set up its website (LINK) in anticipation, even though it is not yet available. That site contains a link back to the Cliffwood Fogge publishing operation.

I'm also having to do a bunch of other administrative things to get the show running, which is significantly different from doing e-books on Amazon.

So, it will still be a while before "the show goes live".