Sign in to follow this  
Harry

When the Loerie Sings Again

JJK

I would easily pay $60-65 for a book of that size and format! But, we are old school. We still like our hard copies. If we want to read something on a device, an i-Pad is what we use. An e-reader frustrates us because of the high amount of grammar and spelling mistakes in the books and the looking "through the core of a toilet roll". In my contact with children and young people i-Pads are extremely popular.

dlam

I rather pay for the book and get all the pictures with the writing.

uksaffer

Ditto the above - I would be more than happy to pay $60-$65 plus shipping costs to the UK and would want more than one copy. Harry did you see my earlier comment re Fritz Joubert Duquesne?

Merv

I use an e-reader (Kobo), primarily because I get most of my books from the public library, which means they are free and I also don't have to go out of the house to go and get them or return them (do it all on line). I do also still read "real" books though, but when travelling by far prefer the e-reader, "stock up" ahead of the trip and can have up to 10 books at once checked out.

Would I buy a book like yours in hard cover format? Absolutely, because of it's format (lots of pictures and diagrams and stuff), it just wouldn't be the same on an e-reader (haven't tried out an iPad yet though) and because I would see it as something that I would like to have around to keep (i.e it has value as opposed to a novel which I read and "discard")

Make sense?

Cathy K

I believe the printed edition of the book will, in time, become a family heirloom. I won't hesitate to buy it. Also remember that it contains the precious, true history of South Africa. Few emigrants will pass up the opportunity to buy it for future generations. It will forever be a reminder of a once great country that never was the way it is currently portrayed.

Harry

Folks,

thanks for the encouragement to stay with the colour hardcover hardcopy.

I even thought of doing it via some sort of Collectors Edition process. That is, B&W softcover and e-book for the general edition, but hardcover colour for the collector's version. I'll do my best not to let you guys down.

I'll keep plugging away, but meanwhile I'll take out insurance by figuring out how to do the e-book thing right. I'm not going to allow seven years of work to be turned into a typically messy e-book. If e-book is used at all, it will be presentable, or it will not be at all.

I attach page 109 of the work in the PDF form I have been hoping to publish it. It is a single page from a Nexus Familia insert in the work. It relates to the massacre of the family of Frontier Field-cornet Stephanus Scheepers in 1799 south of Steytlerville at the foot of the mountain that is now known as "Mac". The event was a historical turning point that caused the governor to realise he had been messing up and had lost half the colony.

All the inserts come oulined with a thin line that you see here.

I also attach a page from later in the work (2010) in which a farm in the Free State is described in American terms as prelude to a murder. It gives some idea of what this looks like on Kindle. I have chosen the size of the file so as to match the actual resolution of the Kindle exactly. To get an idea of what it will look like on a physical Kindle, you need to look at your PC screen from twice the distance that you would hold the actual Kindle reader.post-872-0-61127200-1367014430_thumb.jpgpost-872-0-73661900-1367015221_thumb.jpg

Fredy

Heh-heh, Harry is still kicking. How are you my friend? It's been around five years since last words.... I log in here once every three months, read two minutes, grunt, and log off. Get in touch.

Harry

Fredy,

yeah, what can I say? I'm still around.

UKSaffer,

Fritz Duquesne is a problematic character. He and Frederick Russell Burnham were up against each other in the Boer War. Burnham was an American. After the Boer War, Dusquesne ended up in the USA, where he wrote for some newspapers. I have some of his writings. Ironicaly, some of the articles were about Burnham, and he was most positive about him. The problem is that Duquesne ended upin jail for espionage in the USA during WWII. He went to his grave fighting the Brits, whom he only turned on after discovering that they had burnt down the family farm and thrown his family in concentration camps. He never forgave Britain and certainly claims to have been the man who killed kitchener. The fact is that the Germans did give him an award for service during WWI.

I originally had him in this work of mine, and then elected to remove him.

uksaffer

Thanks Harry, thought he was quite an interesting character. Incidentally my daughter is also studying physics, particle physics and is thinking of relocating to Canada after. Thank you so much for taking the time to research and write this book, can't wait to read it.

JBL

I cant wait for your book to be released.

I prefer to read in the portrait orientation when on the Kindle. But like Cathy K, I would like to own this book in hard copy as well.

vinceb

I would cheerfully buy a hard copy of your book, I suspect that some of South African history will be lost for future generations and what remains, will be sanitized and rewritten to meet the approval of the ruling ANC government of the day in South Africa.

BTW have you considered social media ( Facebook) to prepublicise "When the Loerie Sings Again" and expose it to a world wide audience?

Edited by vinceb
  • Like 1

dlam

Is this the long awaited : When the loerie sings"? Harry wrote the latter, but the book in the link is a different author. Maybe he wrote it under a different name? I want to buy Harry's book but want to make sure it is the correct one before I buy this one from Amazon.

Cathy K

It isn't.

Harry

Folks,

No, this most certainly is not my effort. My name is Harry and I could not fit my work into a quick little paperback.

While I'm struggling with getting my work published, I've been turning it into an e-book and I'm about 30% of the way through. It actually looks remakably good and it works better than a real book in many respects.

For example,

a) There are many maps, and one cannot include the maps at good enough resolution in a book (sort of, but not really). On an e-reader one can magnify the map as long as the author provides enough resolution, which I'm indeed doing. It allows, for example, the reader to see exactly where the French Huguenots of Provence came from.

B) There are extensive references back to earlier related events (that's how history is). Since e-books are written in HTML like a website, the live links make it easy to navigate back and check the earlier event and return by hitting the back button.

c) The evidence for things I recount is in the footnotes in the paper version, but in the e-book these are stuck away at the back, neatly arranged by chapter. HOWEVER, again there are live links to those references, so the reader can check for him/herself whether I can back up what I say.

d) The full screen image size on an e-reader is comparable and - in some newer e-readers - better than, those that I can manage in a printed book.

In fact, the way it stands now, a printed version of the book would cost as much as an e-reader.

All of us book nuts are going to lose this battle and e-books are going to win. And, YES, it is mostly older people who buy e-readers. Kids don't read books anymore.... they can hardly write anymore anyway!!

I prefer to die with my collection of quality books.

dlam

Let me know when your e-book is ready for purchase.

Guest Petros

I think that a lot of people are looking forward to your book, your efforts will not go wasted!

Guest Petros

Don't be so hard on the youth Harry they may not be bibliophiles in the way our generation understands consumption of words but they certainly don't lack in skill or eloquence and their ability to deliver a written message.

Have a look at this young lady at the age of 13 this article she wrote has been shared over 40 000 times http://mashable.com/2013/08/11/teens-facebook/

How people consume media is constantly evolving and the value of that change is probably determined by the success of delivery.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Wonderful to have a post from you again Harry. I miss the days when you had time to be here are lot more!

Harry

Thanks for the support and patience folks. Ingrid, sorry ma'am... life's a little "full".

Petros, I mean write as in WRITE, not TYPE.

Next time a young person in Canada appears at your front door to collect money for some misguided noble cause, or when you are at the restaurant and the server takes your order, look at how they hold the pen. You'll stare aghast at this horror and you'll wonder how it is that you never noticed. They do NOT hold the pen between their thumb and forefinger/middlefinger.They clasp the thing almost like a baboon holds a stick...and some pathetic excuse for a teacher is teaching them to do it that way while he/she protects the kids' "human rights" and makes sure they all "win a prize" at the end of the year so no "arme bloedjie feels left out". It is awfully difficult to write like that. No wonder they do not write.

Your next challenge after all that is to find me a Canadian kid who can read cursive.

I'm at Chapter 10 of 30 in the-book, but it is going much faster now that I have figured out the routine. I attach a page of the e-book as rendered on Kindle KF8 devices. Those would be all the Kindles from Gen 3 upwards, I believe. On Kindle for iPad the captions will show below the pictures (and therefore will sometimes will be orphaned onto another page). On iPads the dropshadow is replaced by lines above and below the quoted text. Amazon is upgrading Kindle for iPAD to run KF8 format, but it will take time. The best reading experience is on Kindle for PC where it shows REALLY great... way way way better than in the actual letter sized book.

As e-book it will be very big at about 20-23MB. But, that's what it takes to do the job right.

post-872-0-45683200-1376758162_thumb.jpg

Merv

Looking forward to this being released!

Hendie

Kannie waggie!

CharleneK

Harry, fortunately Ruby's school still teaches cursive in primary school (albeit a lot less seriously than we did). In Grade 4, Ruby and her classmates were made to bake cookies in the shape of their cursive names. It may have been legible raw, but baked was another story! And they still don't teach them how to hold a writing implement: I keep yelling at her to hold it properly, to her great frustration... :cry: