Sign in to follow this  
Harry

When the Loerie Sings Again

shaun

If you are on Facebook, do a search for a group '8 SAI'. Plenty of pictures of us in the bush.

Ask the moderator if he will sent you some of his own pictures that he posted, that way you will not be taking it off the net.

Merv

Sorry. I burnt all my stuff

Harry

Shaun,

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm trying to avoid the visibility of Facebook at this stage. For me it would just be looking for trouble. However, I can use any help I can get in making contacts with those guys.

Merv....I understand that. I have other friends who did the same.

Harry

I'm still writing like crazy.....now on page 542 in 1980.

However, I need a bit of help:

Is there anybody on the forum that has access to the book "The Real Information Scandal" (1983) ISBN 620070579 by Eschel Rhoodie. If so, I need to have a piece of text confirmed, or possibly a page scanned. It has to do with Black African leaders who begged Vorster to intervene in Angola in 1976.

Alternatively, possibly someone is close to a library that has it and is willing to help me. Possibilities are:

Stellenbosch University : JS Gericke Library; Lower Level; 364.130968 RHO

University of the Free State; 354.6800991 RHO

UNISA: Pretoria Open Collection 364.13230968 RHOO

University of Pretoria ( two, possibly three, copies):

Open Coll Level 2 354.680099 RHOODY

Spec Coll Africana ZA 354.680099 RHOODIE (two copies?)

Harry

ANOTHER REQUEST FOR HELP

I used to have this wonderful little booklet (a few inches square) issued by a Church Group. It listed all Desmond Tutu's counter-Bible and racist statements, complete with references to when and where he made them. One example was his comment that whites would have a harder time than blacks in getting to heaven. My copy of that booklet has just disappeared and I was hoping someone else might also have a copy that they could scan and send to me.

I'm still struggling to get photos of the following, but PLEASE REMEMBER, I CANNOT get them off the internet because I need to have evidence that they are in the public domain, so I prefer pictures that owners/photographers give me by e-mail:

The electrified fence on the eastern boundary of Kruger Park

The sisal plantation barrier on the southern bank of the Limpopo east of Beit Bridge

Magoo's Bar in Durban

The Spur restaurant in Queenstown

The Meyerspark/Alkantrant post office in the eastern suburbs of Pretoria (especially showing the rubbish can on the pole outside it)

The Checkers supermarket in Silverton

I also really wish any helpful soul living in Grahamstown and near Beit Bridge/Messina would contact me.

Delli B

Harry.

I just spent close to 5 hours reading this from my mobile. Amazing!

I will buy a copy.

I will try and get my friend who works in Moz to take a photo of the border. My sister also lives in Pretoria and I'll ask for assistance there.

Delli B

Adele & Nirak,

I need photos of military nature inside Angola. I can NOT use photos that are on the web unless the very specifically have been placed in the public domain, either by a statement to that effect or through the passage of time, which time varies from country to country.

I was there in 1974 and have pre-war photos.

Harry. I've been sobbing all the way through to page 45.

Tjoppie

Hi Harry,

At the last Cape Town meet I was told to look this up and read it. I was a bit reluctant to read this before I actually moved to Canada, because I knew what would be in it, but well today I didn't have much to do and I remembered about this, and downloaded the PDF.

Really a good read. For me being 27 years of age, I remember seeing the posters in public places and my primary school hallways showing me what bombs look like, but never really knowing what it was about. Getting "the big picture" really helped me put things in perspective.

I must say, although I would never admit it, I am a very patriotic and "proud" South African, I'm sure we all are. Seeing anything positive about the country makes me extremely emotional, probably because in the back of my mind, I know I share no part of it. The movie on M-Net tonight was Invictus, which made me roll my eyes numerous times, but when that final match started and the SAA boeing flew over the stadium, the tears once again rolled over my cheeks.

Reading through the document I had a lot of mixed emotions, but the two words that made the impact was:

"Welcome Home"

As soon as I read those words, it was like a jolt of electricity ran through my whole body and water just came streaming out of my eyes.

For me, as a 27 year old White South African "alleenloper", taking the decision to leave my country is tough, but the longing to hear those two words is far greater than to live in ignorance.

I do hope, wait, let me rephrase, I do look forward, to hearing those two words soon.

PS: When I do move. If any of you on the forum decides to greet me at the airport when I arrive... for pete's sake, just don't say "Welcome Home" until I have exited the terminal building.. :P

Jeanne

Tjoppie, ek is bly jy het dit toe gaan lees, ek het dit vir my familie ook gewys en almal is baie beindruk. Ons het ook soos jy 'n traan of twee gestort toe ons die einde lees en sien regtigwaar met GROOT verwagting uit na die dag van ons burgerskap seremonie!! Ons Kaapse groepie moet weer kuier ;)

Harry

Folks,

It is now more than 5 years since I originally wrote the Loerie in installments over a few weeks in reaction to a challenge from a guy from Holland.

It is more than 4 years since I put the single PDF on the internet in frustration at a local SA idiot who thought matters in SA were funny.

I'm glad to hear it is still of value to people.

All I can ask is for folks to bear with me as I complete the monumental task of the actual book. I'm now right near the end in 1997 and things are getting very personal. The big challenges now are photos and substantiating evidence. You have no idea how difficult it is to get reliable data from South Africa. My attempts to communicate with the Transvaal Landbou Unie about farm murder stats is a dead waste of time. They simply do not respond and are holding me up something awful. If they cannot bring themselves to respond to a polite request, I wonder if any farmer actually puts any faith in them. If they read this then perhaps it will shame them into reacting.

One thing that has struck me in writing the last few chapters, is that Mandela himself is quite candid in his autobiography about his role in violence as leader of Umkhonto, but the world refuses to believe him. They prefer to sketch him as a choir boy in an angel chorus. It is quite clear that these guys can say just what they please, and the Western Media will turn it into the proverbs of angels. I do not think folks in SA understand that Americans honestly believe he went to jail innocently. They have been 100% brainwashed in this area.

The damage to the truth I place directly and squarely in front of Desmond Tutu's door, along with that of his buddy Randall Robinson in the US. They did a complete "job" on SA and a million seas will never wash it off. You can just read Chester Crocker's book to hear that from an American who saw it happening. My two U.S. trial readers are simply aghast. Perhaps now folks understand why I am so mindlessly meticulous with my evidence. I'm tired of Brits writing about white SA folks as though they thenselves have some sort of unique understanding of us or Africa - they just simply don't. The closest possible "UK" writer is Martin Meredith, and even he does not quite "get it".

As for what happened in Angola, I've had to rely on the testimony of the Russians who served with the Angolan Army. They are disarmingly straight and honest about what it meant being up against our chaps. It is strange how one can usually best rely on a honourable enemy rather than a spineless or deceitful friend. The Russian testimony is quite striking, describing how their side runs away in fear, throwing away weapons etc. They describe how they had to crawl through the mud to escape. The one outraged colonel describes how a superior Soviet officer got the medal for the much lied about "Great Vanishing Battle of Cuito Cuanavale" while actually only "contemplating a warlike situation and giving a speech". For once I now have first hand testimony of what it was like being on the receiving end of the weapons I helped to develop. Believe me, "the Boere" make really effective stuff - just ask our enemies. We are of Africa and we know Africa like no one else ever will...including "Big white liberal bwana come Africa" authors who think that they understand the place just because they once had black girlfriend and "wanted to do good" in Africa.

In between trying to some income for the family I've therefore made some progress , I am right at the end, but I still ned help with farm murder data, border sisal plantations, electric border fences and the like.

AND yes....I have every intention of getting this done while Barack Obama is running the US. I would like nothing better than to face him with the odd question about SA and the current institutionalised discrmination against whites while he ceremonially rewards Tutu.

The thing is, I'm at page 635 and I still have to find a publisher. A book this size will be totally unaffordable via self-publishing and print-on-demand.

• Like 1

uksaffer

Hi Harry

I too would like to say a big thank you for all the time and effort you have spent on this. I think it really important our kids know about our history, especially those of us who have emigrated. I am a Basson through marriage and am very interested in history as well as genealogy. I have been researching my dad's family. Whilst researching I met Adelbert Semmelink at the IGI in Cape Town - he has the Basson Family Tree which if I remember correctly he did himself and spent a lot of time at cemeteries and of course the Dutch Reformed Church, etc. He really does have a great deal of information, not sure if you're in contact with him? Also do you know about Fritz Joubert Duquesne, Piet Joubert's nephew and himself a Boer soldier - Fritz is known as 'the man who killed Kitchener' and he also ran the largest espionage ring in USA history. An interesting character. I see you were in Angola in 1974 - so was my brother, he was in the Cape Town Highlanders, I shall ask him if he has any photos but i doubt he kept any, don't recall seeing them. Try and contact Willem Steenkamp - he was also in the Cape Town Highlanders and was a journalist for either the Cape Argus or the Cape Times newspaper. He has also written books so I should think a very good source for you. Incidentally my husband's maternal grandfather was the mayor of Windhoek and surrendered to Louis Botha in 1915. Peter Muller Street has since been renamed Castro Street, no surprise there.

In the event that you do get this published and I'm sure you will, I too would love to buy some copies. By the way I'm not in Canada but in the UK. We emigrated to NZ and lived there for 5 years but didn't settle so relocated to the UK where we're very happy. On route to the UK we stopped over in Vancouver and took a trip to Edmonton, loved it all, would love to have met you. I have two daughters, the elder is very much wanting to study physics at uni next year, she doesn't enjoy the electronic side much, she is fascinated with quantum, relativity and nuclear physics. She is thinking of settling in Canada once she has her degree.

greenleader

Folks,

It is now more than 5 years since I originally wrote the Loerie in installments over a few weeks in reaction to a challenge from a guy from Holland.

It is more than 4 years since I put the single PDF on the internet in frustration at a local SA idiot who thought matters in SA were funny.

I'm glad to hear it is still of value to people.

All I can ask is for folks to bear with me as I complete the monumental task of the actual book. I'm now right near the end in 1997 and things are getting very personal. The big challenges now are photos and substantiating evidence. You have no idea how difficult it is to get reliable data from South Africa. My attempts to communicate with the Transvaal Landbou Unie about farm murder stats is a dead waste of time. They simply do not respond and are holding me up something awful. If they cannot bring themselves to respond to a polite request, I wonder if any farmer actually puts any faith in them. If they read this then perhaps it will shame them into reacting.

One thing that has struck me in writing the last few chapters, is that Mandela himself is quite candid in his autobiography about his role in violence as leader of Umkhonto, but the world refuses to believe him. They prefer to sketch him as a choir boy in an angel chorus. It is quite clear that these guys can say just what they please, and the Western Media will turn it into the proverbs of angels. I do not think folks in SA understand that Americans honestly believe he went to jail innocently. They have been 100% brainwashed in this area.

The damage to the truth I place directly and squarely in front of Desmond Tutu's door, along with that of his buddy Randall Robinson in the US. They did a complete "job" on SA and a million seas will never wash it off. You can just read Chester Crocker's book to hear that from an American who saw it happening. My two U.S. trial readers are simply aghast. Perhaps now folks understand why I am so mindlessly meticulous with my evidence. I'm tired of Brits writing about white SA folks as though they thenselves have some sort of unique understanding of us or Africa - they just simply don't. The closest possible "UK" writer is Martin Meredith, and even he does not quite "get it".

As for what happened in Angola, I've had to rely on the testimony of the Russians who served with the Angolan Army. They are disarmingly straight and honest about what it meant being up against our chaps. It is strange how one can usually best rely on a honourable enemy rather than a spineless or deceitful friend. The Russian testimony is quite striking, describing how their side runs away in fear, throwing away weapons etc. They describe how they had to crawl through the mud to escape. The one outraged colonel describes how a superior Soviet officer got the medal for the much lied about "Great Vanishing Battle of Cuito Cuanavale" while actually only "contemplating a warlike situation and giving a speech". For once I now have first hand testimony of what it was like being on the receiving end of the weapons I helped to develop. Believe me, "the Boere" make really effective stuff - just ask our enemies. We are of Africa and we know Africa like no one else ever will...including "Big white liberal bwana come Africa" authors who think that they understand the place just because they once had black girlfriend and "wanted to do good" in Africa.

In between trying to some income for the family I've therefore made some progress , I am right at the end, but I still ned help with farm murder data, border sisal plantations, electric border fences and the like.

AND yes....I have every intention of getting this done while Barack Obama is running the US. I would like nothing better than to face him with the odd question about SA and the current institutionalised discrmination against whites while he ceremonially rewards Tutu.

The thing is, I'm at page 635 and I still have to find a publisher. A book this size will be totally unaffordable via self-publishing and print-on-demand.

Hi Harry,

I read your version of the Loerie article about SA and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I spent 13 years as a full time infantry soldier/Instructor/commander in the elite of SA forces , and can say that our soldiers were above average and well trained.

Piet Nortje will be releasing a new book in 2012 on the complete history of 32 Bn.

Look forward to reading your completed book.

Cheers

Ric

greenleader

Hendie,

ek nie geweet van Martin se parabat agtergrond nie. Ek sal hom vra.

Harry,

Join facebook group http://www.facebook.com/groups/grensoorlog/ and here there are "ex soldiers from all units" who you can ask for photos.....and they post regurlarly photos from the past.

Hope this helps.

Ric

uksaffer

Where is Harry? Would love an update?

Hendie

Harry is on hiatus. He is working on a fully fledged book along the same theme as Loerie. He does pop in from time to time, but is currently not active at all.

Guest Petros

Hi, if anyone has contact with Harry and if he is still struggling with getting his book printed (assuming its finished), perhaps he can consider crowd-sourcing the funding its an alternate way of financing the printing but can work if managed properly. Its not an easy path to go but it can work.

Cathy K

"The Loerie" is both a very accurate history book and the story of Harry's ancestry. It is also about 600 pages long. Harry is not interested in condensing the content. He is very well connected and quite a few publishers in the USA are interested.

It's fascinating reading, but some of the facts are quite different from what is perceived as the true history of South Africa, as described by the current South African government.

• Like 1

Harry

Folks,

the rumours of my demise are highly exaggerated and, to the chagrin of several, I am very much alive.

Since writing the “Internet Loerie” more than half a decade ago I have I realised, after pressure from several people, that I would have to turn this into a book proper. I also realised that, if I were to do this, I would have to take cognizance of some facts:

1. I would have to provide solid evidence of every single even vaguely contentious statement.

2. Providing the work to South Africans would be like singing to the choir.

3. It would have to be directed to Americans, because non-Black South Africans have altogether lost the ability to influence their own destiny in South Africa.

4. No-one could ever understand post WWII South Africa if they did not understand the history.

5. Americans famously/infamously have little regard for history.

6. I would have to keep that history interesting to keep their attention.

7. Since it is a work of factual non-fiction, the people in that history would have to be very real; this could not be Michener’s “The Covenant” with fictitious characters.

The result is a 703 page 430,000-word formal history of South Africa in 30 chapters. The work comprises 250 photos and graphics, with extensive evidentiary notes and references for the quite understandably incredulous. One third of the work comprises extended vignettes written in the present tense to create action immediacy as in, for example, the Battle of Blood River. These follow a selection of ancestral family lines through that history from their origins in 17th Century New York, Europe and Indonesia – all ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances – slaves, frontiersmen, soldiers and fighter pilots. From 1953 I am a witness to the developing catastrophe. The work opens in 1652 with young Eva Krotoa on the Cape beach. It closes with the author taking an oath of loyalty to the British Queen - his country lost to him forever.

As fate would have it, my family ancestors - or their brothers, sisters or cousins – are present at many of the key events in that history and can testify. As an Afrikaner my family ancestors at the Cape include Eva Krotoa, Hottentot interpreter to the first commander in 1652, as well as Angela, a slave in the commander’s household. The immigrant founding father of the Afrikaner nation in 1657, Jacob Klauten, is an ancestor. My DNA, a 350-year bloodline in the country, my direct personal exposure to the everyday realities of the country, and my professional background in research and evidentiary fact represent my authority as author in this area.

Having said that, most Afrikaners – both Afrikaans and English speaking - have the identical background. I therefore wrote this work claiming the stature of an ordinary representative Afrikaner and not as some historical scholar of dry history or some latter day political scientist hell bent on promoting the latest vogue in political thought in a fit of political expediency.

In four words: This is the Real Deal.

It is written as it was experienced by an ordinary human and his verified ancestors.Two thirds of the work is hard history with evidence; one third is following these real people through this real history. The first half of the work covers history up to just before the breakout of the 1899 Great Anglo-Boer War. So, it may very well end up being published in two Parts (1652-1899) and (1899-2012). Each would be a fairly massive book in its own right.

Current status:

1. I finally wrote Finis a handful of weeks ago - keep in mind I had to earn an income over this period and do immense amounts of research to support the work.
  2. We’re doing the last editorial fixups at this time
  3. I’m drafting letters to agents and publishers at this time

This will HAVE TO be either classic printing or a larger screen computer-read e-book. A Kindle reader device would do the work, which is laid out as US letter page-sized ( 8.5"x 11") with page wide color images, a disservice. Print-on demand publishing will make the work too expensive for anyone to buy at 703 pages in total. Classic offset printing is the only technology that can make it affordable. It also needs to be appreciated that most left-leaning American publishers would not want to touch this work with a ten foot bargepole. They are allergic to the truth. One has already headed for the hills at high speed after taking a look. Then again, I was brazenly testing it in Kennedy's backyard of Massachusetts - Liberal Thought Headquarters in the US.

So, please do not underestimate the challenge involved here.

Cathy is a little over-positive about US publishers, but dead right about uncomfortable facts. Neither the present SA government nor the previous one would like to hear that Ngqika (Gaika) saved the Frontiersmen under Piet Prinsloo from the imiDange attackers in the Tarka in 1800. Historians seem to ignore the role that relationship played in the events of Slagtersnek, which was planned on our family farm, Palingkloof near Tarkastad.

I summary, I'm working like crazy to get this thing out the door and printed, but it is a massive work with lots of challenges. Meanwhile, my head is bursting with SA history and genealogy issues. There have already been five history-genealogical publications as a result of this work - all of it new work in that field; along with two other publications. So, I have the genealogy community "on my case" as well. Somewhere in between I have to earn my daily bread and powerwash the deck.

• Like 1

ENGinCT

Harry, the book sounds terrific.

Can't wait!

Ann

In case you are still looking for publishers, might try Skyhorse Publishing. Noticed that they have published books that could be considered controversial.

Dedré

Harry, you are one of the most diligent, hardworking and persevering people I know of. Good luck!

Harry

Dedre,

of course I could also be simply stubborn and bull-headed, as some others claim. My disease seems to be that I cannot just ignore something that bothers. And the extremely obvious slow-speed implosion of South Africa bothers me no end. The inability of some to see it happening before their very eyes is even more mind-boggling. The learned folks speak of Cognitive Dissonance.... if you're right in the face of the disaster you brain protects itself via abject denial.

Ann, I take note of that publisher. Right now I'm a tad website-shy. In the last week I had VERY serious virus attacks at two different publisher websites. I spent all of today, after the above post, just fixing my PC after the latest attack at the website of the guy I'd most prefer as agent. If I were paranoid, I'd say someone has actively targeted publishers' sites for hacking/infesting. In both cases my anti-virus system itself was fatally corupted by the relevant infected websites.

I think I should go get coffee and chill out....and give it a break for a day or two.

Merv

Hey Harry, time to buy a Mac! :P No viruses to speak of (welcome back by the way!)

Dedré

I don't think you are stubborn at all!

Think its time for a Mac upgrade too. Made my life HEAVEN since I have one! Sure is a blessing!

Harry

I finally managed to contact the relevant agent, only find he has shut his doors to further submissions.

That made me rethink my whole position in this matter.

I've spent the last two weeks studying print-on-demand cost figures and e-book issues.

1. Print on demand: The POD printing business is expensive and the distributers/bookstores want the books at 40% discount from the marked price of the book to the public. The bricks & mortar shops want 55% discount (some 65%). You can see why they are going out of business compared with Amazon and Barnes & Noble.com.

Here is my reality:

1. Going via bookstores with a POD book is a fool's errand

2. Going via Amazon means I have to get the book made for less than 60% of the cover price

3. At my present 720 pages I cannot get this thing done as a hardcover color book. I would have to charge around $60-$65 a copy. Who is going pay that plus shipping?

4. Every other calculation (B&W, softcover, mixed B7W & Color etc etc ) all work out higher than the typical market prices and then I still lose money on every copy

2. The e-book business is the easiest to get into and it is the easiest way to get a piece of work onto Amazon.com. However, it is technically messy and one has to go through 720 pages of reformatting hell to get a result that is the literary equivalent of staring at the world through the core of toilet roll - no perspective whatsoever. To me, e-books are to books as tweets are to a proper memorandum; a sort of slapdash, who the hell cares, flippant throwing of a badly structured, badly presented, endless sausage train of text at the reader, who is supposed to enjoy this just because the thing he reads it with is roughly the size of a 1960s Mills & Boon paperback. But the e-books are cheap, because there are little in the way of production costs involved once the process is running.

However, it seems I'm completely the minority in this mattter. I went to the local Indigo bookstore last week. It was like a visit to the morgue. The only client who eventually walked into the huge two-storey place besides myself, was a gentleman nearing 70 who wanted to buy a Kobo e-reader!!!!!! When I asked the young lady behind the counter whether young people buy these things, her answer was an emphatic "NO!" Do they buy books ? "No!...they don't read books in any form!" She told me the typical Kobo buyer is over 45. And they buy them because they are fed up with "lugging their book collections with them when they move" and "They are fed up with their books yellowing on the bookshelf and getting torn".

Am I ever the idiot! There I was thinking his book collection is a measure of a man. I once had a French R&D manager over to my place and the first thing he did was to walk over to my meagre collection of books ( mostly nature, history and geography plus a few classics) and then he told me "I can always tell whether I am dealing with an intelligent human by looking at the books in his home". Notably he did not say whether I passed his test. But i think you get the point.

Another lady serving at Indigo ( she's perhaps around 65) told me "If you are going to fight this e-book thing, you are guaranteed to lose".

So, I came home and have been doing two things more or less in parallel:

a] Cuttting my work down from 720 to at most 600 pages to try again with POD

b] Trying to reformat the thing as a e-book compatible with mobi, epub etc files.

... I decided to first see where this gets me, because I believe that , if I were to go to another agent, he/she would face the same size issues and hold those against me.

For the techno folks, e-book formatting means turning the entire 720 page work in to a single page of HTML with very specific formatting. SO, I'm learining at high speed how to do that. It DOES require me to rethink completely how the thing is laid out.... and I WAS so proud of how it appeared to the reader. My Open Office version of the work looks truly good; this from several folks who have seen it. Every Chapter opens on a right hand page with a relevant picture, there are typically pictures or diagrams every four-or-so pages; the evidentiary family bits are inserted in boxed vignettes; the references are in footnotes on the pages where they are cited (so the incredulous can see I have evidence of the "apparently outrageous" things I say). I treally does look very elegant.

Now I have to strip many pictures; lose the footnotes; mount the pictures on separate pages from the text etc etc etc .... it mashes up the whole thing. All this to view it through the core of a toilet roll.

However, my intial attempt looks quite OK on an iPad, but less so on a Kindle Fire. iPad presents pictures at a decent size, Kindle makes them artificailly smaller (!!!). I have an e-book reader emulator that shows me how they would look on six diferent Kindle models, on iPad, and on iPhone. About 1.5 sentences fit on an iPhone e-book reader app.

SO, I have questions:

1. How many folks here read e-books

2. How many do so with the e-reader in the landscape orientation?

I ask because I cannot keep all these issues alive. I have to focus to get somewhere. Somewhere in between I have to earn my daily bread.

As for a Mac at this stage. Too late! I left that behind at the end of the 1980s. By the time one has to do serious stuff, Macs just don't cut it. But WHAT they do, the do exceedingly well. I loved my original Macintosh from the 80's, but eventually I had to realize that it just could not do the stuff I needed to do under presure in a serious office. SO, I reluctantly gave it up and conformed under duress.