Sign in to follow this  
Harry

When the Loerie Sings Again

Dedré
Harry, hier is iets wat aansluit by jou groot stuk werk, "When the Loerie sings again"...

Hier in Beeld (13 April, 2007) het ek 'n artikel raakgelees

JULLE!.... julle sal nie glo hoe baie e-mails ek al gekry het vandag wat my na daai artikel toe verwys nie... en dan word dit met vreigewige afrikaanse kruietaal beskrywinge vergesel...JULLE!!! die boere...eish... hys baie kwaad daar by die rekenaar!... eish! :unsure:

Edited by Dedré

Charles

Harry,

In light of your comments about the Zulu I thought you might find the following of interest:

Buthelezi cautions ANC over highway name change

Looks like the Zulu are in line for a bit of ethnic cleansing once the Whites and Indians are sorted!

In the meantime insult them instead.

Small snippets of the problem:

Opposition politician Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi has added a note of caution to the proposed name change of Durban highway in KwaZulu-Natal -- currently named "Mangosuthu Highway" in his honour.

Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) leader Buthelezi -- who headed the KwaZulu non-independent homeland government from the 1970s to 1994 -- said: "If removing my name gives the ruling party the satisfaction of gloating about being at the helm, they must go ahead and enjoy themselves.

Buthelezi reported that eThekwini (including Durban) metro municipality mayor Obed Mlaba has proposed that the highway be named, instead, after late liberation-struggle hero Moses Mabhida.

The most interesting comment was:

Similarly, one fears that the unseemly haste to rename places like Pretoria and Potchefstroom is not being done with enough consultation with the Afrikaans-speaking residents of these places," said Buthelezi, who served as national home affairs minister from 1994 to 2004

Harry

Ye Olde Alliance between "Boer" and Zulu might be overdue for a re-vamp, think ye not!

Hoe sê julle "Boere"? Ons het mos respek vir ouens wat teen ons baklei het en dan vrede gemaak het.

Afer all, die Zulus het by hul woord gehou.

By now you all know that in my book anyone who is Pro-Western Civilisation, is a "Boer".

Willie

By die stembus glo ek dat die meerderheid, insluitende die Zoeloes, steeds vir die man wat op die grooste klip sit, wat die grootste kierie rondswaai en die mees populistiese slagkrete sal stem!

Selfs Mugabe sal n regverdige verkiesing loshande wen. Armmoede, hongersnood, n lewens verwagting van n slegs 36 jaar, inflasiekoers van 1700% en wat nog! Daar is maar geen redding vir Afrika nie! Nie nou nie en ook nie oor n duisend jaar nie.

Die algemene tekort aan grysstof is die bepalende faktor.

Pak jou goed en trek Ferrera!

Harry

When the Loerie sings again

After some weeks of struggling with inconsistent software and failing links and disappeared websites and the like, I have finished the next upgraded draft of When the Loerie sings again

When the Loerie Sings Again (PDF)

I'd like to express my thanks to those that have read it and have contacted me with requests and suggestions.

The changes include the following:

# More about Boer-Xhosa alliances in the 1700's

# More detail around the time of the Great Trek..including quotes from Benjamin D'Urban ( Goveror)

# The actual contract between Piet Retief and Dingane ( Courtesy of the Voortrekker Monument team)

# Excerpts from Reverend Owen's diary from 1838, about the murder of Retief

# Excerpts from the diaries of Andries Pretorius and Jan Bantjes about Blood River

# Links to FW Reitz's A Century of Wrong, which is a hugely insightful document*

# Some poignant pictures from the Boer War

# More about terrible human rights issues in the USA in the 1930's ( 18+ links: be warned)

# A tad more about SA in the World Wars

# The Cato Manor event (18+ Be warned)

# Bobby Kennedy on the hood of the car, playing to his audience in South Africa

# How SA got roped into the US Civil Rights mess and they got SA wrong forever.

# More reference and links to human rights issues in Canada, USA and Oz while they got on SA's case

# Links to the actual Afrika Addio (not the rubbish US version, but the original subtitled Italian version)

# Links to tribute videos for 32 Battalion

# The horrors of the 1980's at the hands of the ANC : 18+...you are warned.

# Many many more links

# Some expansion to the Harry at Home sections with mods in tense etc.

# An Epilogue, capturing SA 2007 and the Emigrants' Manifesto

1. This work is around 3.4 Mb and 77 pages long!

2. Be sure to check all those many links.

3. Remember to RIGHT CLICK on links in older Acrobat versions and then "Open in Browser". If you left-click in those, you will grow your document to an immense size. You do not want that. You have been warned. Acrobat Reader 8 has fixed that up and allows one to left click without a disaster.

4. Download Adobe Reader HERE.

I always appreciate feedback!

....negative feedback as well.

....including what should be removed.

This version has more of an edge to it, but the "ïn your face" language of the forum style text has been changed and toned down a notch. On the other hand, some of the links are very very disturbing. On the other hand, they reflect the reality that everyone tries to avoid or deny. Without those on the table, our own reactions become hollow.

If you check some of the US Links through the 1910-1940 period, you will see why so many in the US made political war on us because of their own conscience problems. In our ignorance, we did not know their terrible history. With only two black people in the US South in any form of Government in 1965, one can see where they are coming from. Also, Canada quickly fixed up the voting rights of its Indians, and THEN rushed to kick us in the teeth like it had a special ticket from Heaven.

*: The degree to which the conclusion section of A century of Wrong could be again be invoked on behalf of the non-black people of SA at the end of the 20th century, is frankly frightening. Do read it....even the bits about "Capitalists". That document, along with the manifesto of Piet Retief, essentially from the basis of who we all now are...and they date from 1834 and 1899....scary.

Harry

Some Help Needed in South Africa

For those who may have been wondering, I have been very busy on turning "When the Loerie Sings Again" into a book. It is a huge job and keeps me busy for practically all of my "free" time. I've been sending test-manuscripts off to printers in Canada and the USA. I am basically testing the Print-on-Demand industry's technical abilities with these other documents while I draw up the real thing. I have settled for it being a black-and white 8.5"x11" book with colour cover. Any other solution would be either inappropriate or too expensive to buy. Colour is unaffordably expensive.

In this process I have realised that I now need photographic and information sourcing help, and I was hoping I could ask folks in SA. I need photographs taken of some key things, and I could try to make it interesting for folks to get me those photographs. The book would obviously give due credit except where specifically asked NOT to.

Here is my preliminary list at this time:

A. Cover: ( I have the physical specs sorted out)

I probably need someone who'd like to be the cover artist on this piece of work. I have a very specific cover art in mind and might just freak out the artist. I'm happy to discuss. However, no North American who sees the cover should feel morally free NOT to pick up the book. I trust you get my drift here. In my mind's eye, I have a specific picture I know of of a young blond SA soldier with his face covered in "black-is-beautiful". If you don't know what THAT is, you need to look it up. I also need to have a gut wrenching pic from the Boer War concentration camps on there. I know which one. I'll probably need a Soviet flag and US flag on there...crossed. I'll want images US people know, but overlaid with the realities we lived...the contrast must strike the psyche.

B. Photographs:

Cape Town:

1. I need a good blue sky picture of the Bartolomeu Diaz statue near the bottom of the Heerengracht. If I could get him partially facing the camera with some of the mountain in the background it would be ideal.

2. I need a shot of Cape Point, preferably aerial, but one from the water would also work. I have some I took, but I'm not happy with it. A shot from the land would also work, if it showed the lighthouse and possibly the notion of the two oceans.

3. I need a picture of The Castle

4. I need a clear day shot of Robben Island from Signal Hill

5. I need a picture that captures either the area around Spier south of Stellenbosch, and/or the Franschoek area....winelands and Cape Dutch gabeled houses

Mossel Bay

1. I need a wide angle picture of the Potuguese caravel at the Diaz museum.

2. A good picture of a milkwood tree at Mossel Bay would also be useful.

3. I have a shot of the Diaz statue there, but use a better one.

4. A sweeping wide angle shot of the beach area in Mossel bay would be good

Port Elizabeth

1. I need a picture of the Portuguese gun at the view site of the wreck of the Sacramento south of town. Always hoiping it is still there. If not, I at least need a picture of that stopping spot.

2. I need a picture of the Diaz cross near Boknes. That is quite a lonesome spot. I could use a shot that shown the forlorn nature of that area....especially if it has the cross on it.

3. I need a shot of the Slagtersnek monument south of Cookhouse. Since it had some fencing around it last time I was there, it might be tough job to get a clean shot.

Northern Transvaal:

1. I need a picture of the sisal barriers on the SA bank of the Limpopo east of Beit Bridge. One can see those if one takes the tar road to the river from Thsipise.

2. I could use a shot of the electrified fence on the Mozambique border

3. I could use a shot of the white crosses that folks put up along the N1 north of Pretoria to address the farm attacks.

The pictures need to be at least 1950 pixels left to right by the time they are cropped around the subject.

JPG is OK as long as it is taken on "normal"

Dedré

Harry,

Will see what we can do... very interesting undertaking for you... all the best!

Dax

Hi Harry

Hope this help a bit, will post some more later.

The Castle Pic i found during a Google search about 2 years ago. The pic of Mosselbaai is from our holiday in RSA last January.

Dax

post-5058-1183112763.jpgpost-5058-1183112869.jpg

Edited by Dax

Hendie

Harry, jy moet gerus op Flickr kyk. Hulle het ook 'n goeie Search fasiliteit en ek het al pragtige fotos daar gekry. Onthou net om die fotograaf te kontak! Jy het mos 'n rekening daar.

Harry

Dax,

thanks for that.

Maybe I should explain that the issue here is copyright. I cannot use photos off the internet without permission from the photographer. They also have the wrong resolution ( 70-90 dpi) for printing (300dpi minimum). Hence also Hendie's comment. I have nearly all the right pictures I need. But they are off exising websites and are internet resolution.

Given that I'm looking at something like 100 pictures, it is turning into a huge job to find the rightalternatives to what I already have and to get all the permissions. That is why I thought there might be more sense to asking people for some help.

Meanwhile the Canadian printer has returned my test page printed up in colour. Looks very good indeed. It is from a Namibia travelogue that my wife and I put together as a test. I've submitted the finished complete 116-page travelogue to another printer in the USA. They will produce a single one-off colour version in hardcover. Unfortunately they do not offer distribution services for colour hardcover because it never makes money for them, even though it looks very good. Hence my decision on b&w softcover...quite a pity, in my opinion. I do not see my way open to buying 500 copies of a large colour book and then selling and shipping it out of our basement downstairs.

Dax

Sorry about that Harry. I was unsure about the one of the castle myself. The Mosselbai Pic i took myself from the Heiderand (?) are with the camera pointing towards Hartenbos.

I do have some pics that i took of the castle myself, but they are all close-up, in th ecourt yard, Donker gat, up on the bastions etc. I will post some ASAP for you to lookover, but I'm not too sure of its DPI factor.

If its OK with you I will pass your message on to the saaustralia forum crowd?

Groete

Dax

Harry

Absolutely, Dax.

Please go ahead.

Harry

I'm looking for a formal database/archive/log/record of "insurrection"/"terrorist"/"freedom fight" (or whatever people euphemistically wish to call the ANC bombing campaign in SA in the 1980's). Does anyone here know where I can dig before the records are intentionally obliterated by the present government to cover up the past?

Harry

I thought I should mention that, after a read of the Loerie by a Canadian free-lance TV movie producer, the comment was

1. Harry, at first my reaction to some statements was "What the....you have to be kidding me!" Then I checked the links ...and oh...my...gawd! How did we not know this!!??". I promise you, all Canadians believe that Mandela was simply innocently imprisoned all those years.

2. The bits about you at home as an ordinary guy making it through life in SA were hugely effective. You need to work more of that in.

3. There is no doubt that this must be a book..the question is whether it should be a movie.

Based on comment 2, I have spent much of July and August doing genealogy on my family...and what a revelation! My thought was to provide an ancestor or three in each era so as to extend the "At Home" idea back into history while all these epic formative things in SA history happened.

In this process I found that my old boss in SA is now a senior SA genealogy guru. We accidentally found each other again and he's helping me put my map together. Here is some of what has come out so far:

1. The stadsraad of Wesel in Germany confirms the date on which our Basson ancestor applied for naturalisation from Holland...they confirm he registered as a master tailor. Little did he know he would generate at least two generations of fighter pilots in Africa. One in WWII and one in Angola.

2. I found the estate document of a direct great-great-great grandmother in 1820, in detail in Dutch. I have no idea why this particular case was preserved. At the time she owed someone 9 rijksdalers for a slaughter cow and another 35 rijksdalers for soap....go figure

3. I found I have definite Indian slave blood, like the majority of Afrikaners, and that I just possibly have a bit of Japanese blood. There might be some of Pieternella as well...of Dalene Matthee fame. That must explain why I always came up for the Coloured folks in SA...genetic memory.

4. I found my grandfather's grandfather fought with Louw Wepener at Thaba Bosigo and that two other ancestral siblings got medals for their efforts in the Boer War as part of the Free State Artillery. Another died at Magersfontein, but I'm struggling to get the info which I previously saw with my own eyes.

5. At least one direct or indirect member was impaled at Dingaan's Kraal with Retief.

6. Quite a few "stepped over the line with a lady"...one can see it from the dates and names. Some then did the right thing and others ran away.

7. One ancestor of my son reputedly fought with Nelson and also started the Baptist Church in SA. His son was killed by the Xhosas in the Border Wars.

8. The coat and other bits of official uniform of a Dutch East India Company official ancestor are still being carefully kept at the "family farm" in the Cape.

9. At least one ancestor (or brother of) was present at the last meetings of the Dutch government of the Cape before Elphinstone took the Cape for the Brits in 1795....the actual meeting where they read Elphinstone's letter before he attacks. I have the minutes of the meeting.

Actually , I suspect most Afrikaans folks share these points, but I need the evidence to make the point that WE WERE NOT COLONIAL OCCUPIERS NOR ENSLAVERS OF LOCAL PEOPLE....WE ARE THE SAME AS AMERICANS ( being generally longer in SA than Americans in America)....except that we lost and they won.

Adele

Harry your geneology sounds facinating. I can't wait to take Canadian friends to the Movie Premier!

Keep us posted please!

Dedré

Oh, I had a great time reading your last post. Aspecialy points 3 & 6 (LOL). It is really funny.

How are things going with regards to the photographs you were looking for? We are still searching for the Leeukop one. We have a friend that claims he has taken one a looong time ago. (Electronically with a kick-@ss camera ;) )

Edited by Dedré

Liz

Harry, I can't wait to see what comes of this! Book or movie...I'll be checking it out!

Harry

Liz,

there will be no movie. The book will happen. I just got the director to read it because I needed a "Canadian in the business" (and who I know has a level head) to read it. I have zero faith in going to regular non-SA publishers. They cannot handle the truth because it does not fit their calibration. They'd brand me a Nazi (not that they really know what that is) and read it only afterwards.

It is a big job because:

1. I have to fix the language so it reads less like an internet rant

2. I have to ensure that I use only cleared no-copyright pictures. The news agencies would bankrupt me if I had to pay.

3. I need to work the info in the bezillions of links into the text

4. I need to include ancestral family everyday stuff into the historic timeline to make it more real.

5. I'm putting a lot more effort into the parallels with the USA and context of World Histor

...such as the fact that Europeans were still slaves of Arabs after the Brits stopped the slave trade. That's why the Battle of Algiers happened and one of the reasons why the US Navy was started ( go check that for yourself if it sounds weird...another example of Late 1900s Liberal Guilt destroying factual history).

Dedré, I've sourced heaps of Boer War photos and I know all I have to do is acknowledge the help in getting them and acknowledge the SA Archive, but I have none of the more recent stuff yet.

Harry

I thought I'd report that I have my mother's genealogy sorted out in detail all the way from the arrival at the Cape in around 1665-71. I have mapped the train of ancestors and their siblings onto SA history, tracked the various kids, and followed the line of my direct ancestor all the way through:

1. I have the estate docs of some of them.

2. I have the minutes of the Cape gov. where they are upset with the quality of my ancestor's wine! Seems it was my ancestor who screwed up the wine at Great Constantia!!! He complains of them pressuring him to deliver unmatured wine. At least the family was also responsible for Meerlust from 1751...and still is today.

3. I have the government evidence notes to show how one ancestor's sister sets her slaves free and lets them choose which of her kids they'd like to stay with. They chose the eldest daughter.

4. I have the government minutes where they debate the fact that my family in particular had been decimated by smallpox and one whole leg of the ancestry wiped out for ever more. ( So much for the notion that only the Hottentots suffered)

5. I have the govt minutes where members of my family are promoted in the Militia in the 1700's

6. I have the letter undersigned by one family member where the farmers threaten to leave the Camdeboo en masse if the Cape Dutch Government does not free them from their loans and give them gunpowder, lead and flint for their "Schietgeweeren", because the bushmen have driven them to ruin. They threaten to rather move towards the black people who are better to get along with. ( this is 1777!). I also have a report of a Heemraad where they complain that the Boere are not sticking to their farms and have "tramped out a path to the Xhosas to trade cattle, despite being threatened with corporal punishment if they were to do that." [ Seems the Dutch only believed in free trade if the Company did it!?]

7. I have identified the 3 year window in which the family moved to the Agter-Sneeuberg. Kid no 1 is born in Tulbagh and kid no3, 3 years later, is born in Cradock! SO much for the notion of "wandering Trekboere".

8. I found the 1850 doc identifying the farm they lived on in their name. I have satellite maps to match and detailed topographical maps to match..it all checks out.

9. I have the detailed estate files of my grandfather's grandfather....and with it a detail insight in to his life as a wagon-maker outside Cradock..and a run-up to his death in 1862, when the doctor was too late to help him. I have all his bills and stuff in there.

10. I have found that it was not my grandfather's grandfather who fought with Wepener, but rather my great-grandfather's stepfather!! That one was tough to figure out. One needs to be careful with facts.

11. From then on I rely on what my grey-haired mother can recall of the stuff my great-grandfather told her. I also have heaps of old photos of some of these folks, going back to the mid-1800s...in fact, I have a picture of my granny's granny!! (it is in a sorry state, but I do have it!)

12. I even have the French baptismal entries in Drakenstein for some ancestors:

Here a direct female de Villiers ancestor of my maternal granny is baptised:

Le 24 Novembre Lannee 1697 - Susanne fille d abraam de Villiers et e Susanne Gardiol, Le temoins sont Jean Gardiol et Susanne Taillefer.

This is tough work. Just the single male line of my mother is 40-plus pages of stuff at this point. So, I'm having to scratch my head on the matter of which ancestral lines to use in the book. I have most of my tree, but I do not have useful information on many of them. That process eats up hu-u-u-uge amounts of time.

However, showing this solid continuity via "hopefully intriguing" verifiable facts seems to me to be important . I don't want some clever jack dissecting my picture afterwards and claiming I'm a fraud because I screwed up an ancestral link or something like that.

One thing is very clear.....we are Cape Afrikaners with 150 years in the West Cape and 150 years in the East Cape. It is not my direct ancestry that went on the Great Trek. Siblings went.

Adele

Harry you are an amazing piece of work! Congrat on sorting this all out. Very impressive. When do you think the book will be available for purchase? I can't wait to read it.

When this link showed up, I was worried, as I don't want to read more about what will be in the book exactly. I want to wait for the finished product, but when your name appears, I have this need to read (and learn)

Thanks for this. Gives me hope to keep looking for my geneology. I am far from finished.

Gautenger

Good luck with all the hard work Harry.

I also can't wait to read your final book.

Harry

Adele,

it's going to take into next year to get it finished.

Then I'll be faced with going to publishers vs publishing by myself.

I'll probably never be happy with what a publisher does, so I'll probably go it alone....just the way I am.

The genealogy thing has become quite a big deal and I'm having to make sure it does not hijack the goal here. Thing is, my mother is going on (what might very well be) her last visit to her siblings in SA in January 2008. She's on my case something terrible about putting together the family history. She wants to go formally give it to the male name carriers in the family, so it will not get lost, and to inspire them to keep it alive. Her having seen my earlier effort at turning a travelogue into a bound book, I'm now obviously under moral pressure to do the same with her family history first.

Fortunately it dovetails fairly well with the Loerie story, so it is not time wasted...but I do have to watch out.

Nevertheless, I still have my paternal side to sort out. There I have some "genealogical twists, turns and dog-legs" to decipher...and I'm actually hell-bent on doing this from the point of view of my son....which means going through my wife's genealogy. However, that ropes in the 1820 Settlers and Irish soldiers and all that stuff, which makes the whole thng more representative....and that is cool!

So I have a distance to go here.

I just felt I had to "report" because I have been apparently silent on the subject....I won't "give the whole story away".

Gautenger

Harry, my Dad is also busy writing some books and has details of a 'publish on demand' company in the US, shout if you want the details.

Sheryl

Harry,

You never cease to amaze me! I am seriously impressed by your ability to take on such daunting tasks!

The genealogy tracing intrigued me, as it is something I would love to do; having lost both my parents at an early age and completely losing touch with other "older" family members after that, I have often wondered about my own roots. Does anyone have any idea of where to start, any sites one could visit? I tried looking up family tree on google one day, but seemed to only get American sites, which didn't help, as none of my family have ever been there! Any info will be much appreciated.

Regards

Sheryl

hagar

<<...I WOULD like to make it of record here that I am angry with the generation of Jan Smuts and my grandfather, who cost me my country. I cannot figure out what they were thinking when they implemented Apartheid over the objections of the entire West (though they DO seem to approve of it in Israel). All I know is that they fundamentally turned our kin against us worldwide. However, at the same time, I could never ever forgive the ANC for abusing the goodwill of both the World and of people like myself who gave their all. South Africans have finally, 10 years too late, realised that they were cheated...the rest of the world not quite yet....>>

Harry, I blame Jan Smuts more for helping start the League of Nations than apartheid. He was my grandmothers first cousin, she was a Smuts. She died back in the 60's when I was 5 years old, so I never got to know her and her family well. And the ultimate Afrikaner verraaier, Pik Botha (KGB or CIA agent or both), was my other grandmothers cousin.

Edited by hagar