Sign in to follow this  
Harry

When the Loerie Sings Again

uksaffer

Congratulations Harry - I cannot wait to order this book and no doubt shall be ordering more than one. It shall be interesting to see the feedback/reviews you receive from the 'lefties'. A Big Thank You in advance.

spanner

I've just ordered a copy.

One thing that I find frustrating is the lack of good historical books about South Africa of the past. I'm relatively young (27), and didn't take history at school. I can tell you what life was like as a teenager in Cape Town 10 years ago, but besides that I know very little about South Africa. Looking online I either come across ANC propaganda or extreme right wing fantasy. I wish more authors would write good objective books about what life was like in the old days.

Harry

UKSaffer,

Thanks for the support. There are already two negative reviews for the e-book. One review is completely useless to man or beast, and only serves to diminish the reviewer, and the other is likely from the "University Latte Left", and comes with the attendant views of that sector of SA society....a sector I would invite to join me on the trip I had through the Southeast Cape in August 2012. Whether they would have the stomach for it, is another matter. Whether I would be able to keep the local Whites from tearing them limb-from-limb, is yet another. We seem not to live in the same reality. I'm the guy who receives weekly updates from the North Free State, along with lists of farm murders that week.

Spanner,

Take the book slowly... and it will work for you. The History books available today leave a massive lot to be desired and you need to always check the affiliations of the author. At the other extreme, the old ones were way too comfortable for white folks again. So, for example, they tended to leave out the early Indian blood that most Afrikaners carry and they completely ignored the Third Frontier War, which went extremely badly for white people and made a complete spectacle of the British Army of the First Occupation.They also omitted the role that Xhosa King Ngqika played in supporting the Frontier Afrikaners, a truth that suits neither the defunct Nationalists nor the present ANC, for whom Ngqika is a big guy. That would be the period over which my ancestral cousin became Ngqika's Step-father!! You go figure how that will sit on the ANC.

This is why I put so much effort into this work.. It was to sketch REAL people who REALLY lived that history.That is infinitely more difficult to assail than a pure school history book, which is just someone's perspective, devoid of evidence. This is also why you want to be careful when you read SA history as compiled by the grandchildren of latter day immigrants, or by British Journalists who "once actually met an Afrikaner", but mouth off a lot about them. This is why I feel it is important for me as author to trace my DNA to the moment the Khoekhoe saw the Dutch sail into Table Bay on 6 April 1652. I also do not get a salary from any SA government, so I am not beholden to any popular view. I wrote this book because what is happening in South Africa is profoundly wrong and evil and is destroying a beautiful country with great people who all need one another to make it work. I happen to believe their history is their licence to be there and they might as well start there and hold it up in pride, given that their post WWII leaders have let them down truly horribly.

Update:

I've been improving the contrast on the B&W images in the print version and fixing a few small glitches. I may very well give Kindle a newer version that has some fixing of glitches.These were likely to happen in a work of this size. I plead human. They would automatically make the update available to those who downloaded it in the first place.

Reviews:

Meanwhile it can SERIOUSLY do with some more reviews before 22 February, when the e-book will effectively disappear from view. That will be the end of its first 90 day period.

Harry

Well,

after just on seven years, AmaBhulu went on the market as a printed Black & White Softcover book of 630 Letter-sized pages tonight:

LINK

This is the printer's own operation. They do indeed ship to South Africa at a shipping cost of $11.18US, and it takes 31 business days for delivery via their regular service.

They will ship typically ten days after receiving the order. That makes a total of 41 business days to wait for the book. Naturally it costs much less to ship to Canada and is very much quicker.

It will also be available on Amazon about a week from now.

I think it would be inappropriate for me to mention prices here, but it will be the same list price at both stores. 

You can also now visit the Amabhulu Blog : LINK

I'm entirely happy to discuss the story/contents of AmaBhulu here, but I do not want to get into the commercial aspects of it here on SACanada. Naturally I have gathered a mountain of information over the seven years and had to decide what ...and who.....to leave out.

uksaffer

Thank you Harry, cannot wait to order from Amazon some printed copies.

MOTOSA

Hi Harry

Got my print copy today.Book was $33.36 ,postage was $26. and the canadian govt charged me $12.97 import duties.This was ordered from Createspace.com

But it was worth it,

Thanks

Steve

Harry

MOTOSA,

I'm truly shocked by the numbers:

You must have selected the very highest delivery fee and then the Canadian Customs guys somehow calculated duty on the total because it drew their attention.

The usual delivery cost is about $9!!

I also did not have to pay any Canadian duty.

For such money, I sincerely hope the book lives up to your expectations. You will have noticed that it is physically B-I-G.

In a certain sense, it is an "AmaBhulu Handbook". If anyone gives you trouble on SA history, its political history, or your national background, just whip this thing out and look up the bit you need.

UKsaffer,

it is now on Amazon.com. They have elected to provide a 10% discount (the wonders of having a company with great volume). The printer's deal does not cover Amazon.co.uk. You 'll have to get it from Amazon.com.

I have now created a Facebook page for this lot: AmaBhulu: The Book

It has some of the pictures from the book, and some description from the relevant chapters

Harry

If there is anyone here who is also on Goodreads, I'd appreciate hearing from you.