Sign in to follow this  
Harry

When the Loerie Sings Again

Harry

When the Loerie Sings Again

I have several friends in the United States. All of them asked how I came to be in Canada. After talking to several of them about it, they expressed horror and, in most cases a profound regret for the role the USA played. Several are up in arms about what is happening South Africa. Some have been there. Having given them the story in a long train of individual small documents, they finally convinced me to write the story up as one single cohesive document. I did it under the title When the Loerie Sings Again.

I post it here for all to read. It is my take on the history that brought me here....both the history in the true sense of the word, and the contemporary history that I lived myself. I'd appreciate feedback. Several folks have been pressuring me for a year to turn it into a book. I just do not consider my own experience to warrant a book. Some folks on this Forum have also asked that I write something, but they have not ever seen this document.

I was prompted into posting this tonight by Raoulb's posting on the Poplak chap. It convinced me that it is time for this view to be heard. SO, maybe Poplak's life in SA was funny...mine certainly was not.

I'd also like to point out that I do not attempt to address or do justice to the misery that Black South Africans lived through and neither do I dwell endlessly on Apartheid. There are enough black South Africans that can tell that story, though it is pretty much the only story everyone has heard from South Africa since the 1960's anyway....and they are a bit tired of it now. I think the very painful history of South Africa's so-called "Coloured" people is actually the true great tragedy of Apartheid, but it is worthy of a whole separate piece of work.

This document tries to capture the view of an ordinary white South African that grew up there, saw that things were wrong, but got landed with the consequences of his predecessors' actions, tried honestly to make the New South Africa work, and then left when the "writing on the wall" was pretty much stencilled into his forehead.

I ask you to remember the audience for this work was specifically American. You will also see me addressing my American friends collectively in that sense in the document. In this respect, like Americans, I felt little compelling reason to to be overly nice to the British Colonial Office.

I WOULD like to make it of record here that I am angry with the generation of Jan Smuts and my grandfather, who cost me my country. I cannot figure out what they were thinking when they implemented Apartheid over the objections of the entire West (though they DO seem to approve of it in Israel). All I know is that they fundamentally turned our kin against us worldwide. However, at the same time, I could never ever forgive the ANC for abusing the goodwill of both the World and of people like myself who gave their all. South Africans have finally, 10 years too late, realised that they were cheated...the rest of the world not quite yet.

SO, I start in 1652, sketch a "canvas", and then a "painting" on the "canvas"....and then I get to my life against the background of that "painting".

Here then is my life as it brought me here, and as viewed through my eyes....

When the Loerie Sings Again (PDF)

NOTE:

1. This work is around 3.6 Mb and 70 pages long!

2. Be sure to check all those many links.

3. Remember to RIGHT CLICK on links in Acrobat and then "Open in Browser". If you left-click, you will grow your document to an immense size. You do not want that. You have been warned. As Heinrich points out below, though, Acrobat Reader 8 has fixed that up and allows one to left click without a disaster.

4. Download Adobe Reader HERE.

5. For those on dial-up, I have split (an older version of) the file into multiple parts, coinciding roughly with the "chapters":

When the Loerie Sings Again 01 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 02 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 03 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 04 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 05 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 06 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 07 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 08 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 09 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 10 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 11 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 12 (PDF)

When the Loerie Sings Again 13 (PDF)

Dedré
...I WOULD like to make it of record here that I am angry with the generation of Jan Smuts and my grandfather, who cost me my country. I cannot figure out what they were thinking when they implemented Apartheid over the objections of the entire West (though they DO seem to approve of it in Israel). All I know is that they fundamentally turned our kin against us worldwide. However, at the same time, I could never ever forgive the ANC for abusing the goodwill of both the World and of people like myself who gave their all. South Africans have finally, 10 years too late, realised that they were cheated...the rest of the world not quite yet....

Harry, if I remember correctly from my std.10 history (which was a long question as well), it was done only as a "Labour Law" provision. Then skilled workers got no jobs because they cost more, and unskilled workers cost less and got the job. Hence the complaining of a working class that was qualified then. The Labour Party under Smuts (Please correct me if I am wrong), passed the law in the wrong context. Most unskilled labour was "black" (and I think) "immigrant workers" as well. They called it "Apartheid"! That was the biggest mistake!

Anyone that have the facts, (I am famous for confusing it sometimes, please correct me, I promise not to act offended!)

Harry, I did not read it yet, but feel proud that somebody took the time to put it in writing. I hope that this was a nice learning curve for you! It's going to be a shortcut on my desktop!

Good luck.

Edited by Dedré

Hendie

Uitstekende stukkie werk Harry! Hierdie gaan verseker deel word van mý kinders se opvoeding oor waar hulle vandaan kom. Interessant, dat nou met die hele De la Rey debakel in Suid-Afrika, my kinders verbasend patrioties begin raak het (dié deuntjie weergalm gereeld deur ons huis!) en vrae begin vra oor ons (en húlle) verlede. Hierdie is 'n goeie, objektiewe opsomming en ek het dit sommer gou gedruk en gebind om huistoe te vat vir hulle om te lees.

Dankie weereens vir die moeite wat jy gedoen het om te boekstaaf wat baie te bang sal wees om te doen!

(PS. Ek het dit sommer gePin ook, ons kan nie dié verloor nie!)

Cathy K

Ek het dit so driekwart deurgelees voordat ander dinge my aandag nodig gehad het en ek wil dit beslis nie "rush" nie. Uitstekende en uiters deeglike werk, Harry!

Die meeste is aan my bekend, aangesien geskiedenis een van my passies is. Dis die hoofrede waarom ek steeds nie kan vrede maak met die vernietiging van my land en die verguising van my mense nie. Ons is nie die boelies nie!

Ons is in besit van die "Scheepsjournal ende Daghregister" van Jan van Riebeeck wat 'n baie duidelike insig gee van die daaglikse gebeure tydens die stigting van 'n halfwegstasie in die Kaap. Baie van die dinge waarvan Afrikaners beskuldig word, word selfs in hierdie heel eerste kroniek verkeerd bewys.

Harry, jou skrywe is beslis gemik op diegene wie werklik belangstel en meer wil leer.

Cathy K.

Harry

Met liefde, Hendie!

Dedré, there are no clean hands or clean consciences, nor is there any moral high ground anywhere for anyone in SA.

Dankie Cathy.

I've never pleaded to be anything other than an ordinary SA guy that happened to be born with a white skin and who tried to make things work to the best of his ability. I'm not a writer, nor a historian nor a politician. I just try to understand stuff.

However, while appreciating that many things were terribly wrong in the past, the symbiotic combination of Racist African Nationalism and North American Political Correctness is now leading to the complete ruination of an entire nation in South Africa. If I can do something to sketch that picture, I will. Given the total lack of understanding that Americans in particular have of Africa as a continent, I thought it well to write things up the way I saw them.

We gave the Brits their biggest and most expensive fight between the Defeat of Napoleon and the start of the First World War. I'm not having that erased from history and I'm not having the West exonerate itself like Pontius Pilate. Also, the South African history is one of the most epic on the face of the Earth. It is high time the world knew......before we are extinct.

Heinrich

Wow, Harry, dis 'n puik stuk werk dié. Ek sien uit daarna om dit te lees. Die loerie se geluid is ook beslis in my brein vasgegraveer. Dit vat 'n mens terug na goeie dae...

NS: Terloops, met die gratis Adobe 8.0 kan 'n mens nie meer regsklik en "Open in browser" nie. Met linksklik maak die skakel net oop en dan gaan jy maar net weer terug ("back") om die oorspronklike te lees.

Harry

Dankie Heinrich.

If anyone knows how to manage bookmarks in PDF's, I'd appreciate offline advice. They keep scrambling, no matter how hard I try to arrange them in proper order....very frustrating for what is supposed to be a standard industry tool.

I have now also broken the document into "chapters" and posted them above in the original post. That should really help our members who live at the end of "thin" phone lines with dial-up.

Suidwes

Harry,

Ek het uiteindelik dit afgelaai :ilikeit: maar nou sien ek jy het per ongeluk nie die sesde deel gelaai nie. Die volgende bladsye kort p 29 - p34.

Groete Suidwes

Harry

Suidwes, KYK WEER!

jen1

That was quite a history lesson, thanks Harry. I guess I should have paid more attention at school, but I always thought my social life was more important back then. It has taken me two days to finish reading this as I dont get that much time to myself, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and would like to thank you for taking the time to put this together to show people who we are and where we came from.

Suidwes

Dankie Harry, nou is dit volledig. Nogmaals dankie vir jou moeite, dié werkstuk is uitstekend. Baie van ons Aussie vriende is geinteresseerd in die Konsentrasie Kamp tydperk van Suid Afrika ( ek dink dis seker maar oor boeke soos The Power of One & Tandia - skrywer Bryce Courtney of is dit nou Courtney Bryce :ilikeit::cry: .

In The Power of One word 'n engelse seuntjie se lewe in 'n Afrikaner weeshuis/skool beskryf, alhoewel net sy Van engels was en hy net Zoeloe en Afrikaans kon praat.

Suidwes

Harry

Its a pleasure folks. I'm not having anyone blot out our history

Suidwes,

one of the reasons why the Ozzies are interested, is because there was a hugely topical case during the war of an Oz soldier killing Boer POW's and being executed for it. The case surfaces every now and again and people think he was executed wrongly.

On the other hand, there are numerous accounts of soldiers testifying that Kitchener had issued orders to his commanders NOT to take any Boer prisoners. He really WAS hell-bent on genocide.

Gawie

Harry,

If I'm not mistaken, it's the story of "Breaker" Morant.

I got your book via e-mail and really enjoyed it. I would like to pass it on or even upload on a website, would that be all right?

To give you the necessary recognition, I would really like to know your surname.

Baie dankie daarvoor en mag daar nog sulke werke uit jou sleutelbord uit vloei :)

Boeregroete

Gawie

post-4823-1175335145.gif

dieulefit

Harry, we can just say 'uitstekend maat'! My Dad will be very interested in reading this and I am forwarding it to my son, who, incendently, did his Thesis on Genl Jan Smuts - just gave it in two weeks ago. Appropriate name for your work as well and yes, you should seriously re-consider taking it to full book publicity! Well done friend!

Harry

Gawie,

If someone needs to contact me about re-posting the work, they can do so via the SACanada e-mail system for written permission for posting it elsewhere, given that I have copyright in this material.

However, I hereby give notice that I do not intend to have this work associated with any fanatical or far right grouping such as, but not limited to, Stormfront and the like.

I think Afrikaners are intelligent and articulate enough to make their case to the world. They do not have to consort with racist and far right groups to be heard. When I wote my piece under the title "When the Loerie sings again", I did not have any form of association with such groupings in mind in the least and I do not want that work associated with such efforts. The piece of work is the reality that an ordinary middle-of-the-road white South African lived who had given his all to the New South Africa.

While I am hugely upset about what has been developing in South Africa, I remain committed to make the original dream of 1994 work. I have never had any association with ultra-right parties or groups in South Africa and I most certainly do not intend to start now. I merely want what we all, black , white , brown and Indian, voted for in 1994. Anyone who reads the story, will not find me lobbying in it for a white government or Afrikaner state.

It is time for the story of the white South African to be heard, but condemning him to association with obsessed far-right fanatics before he has even articulated who he is, is going to be the final holocaust of that very special nation.

Note: I am an intellectual property manager by profession.

dieulefit

On a lighter note - the house, Lilliesleaf, was vacant for some years until close friends of ours, Helmut and Veda Schneider, bought it. My son and their son were bossom buddies and played on that (expansive) property for many, many hours and I helped a bit with the layout of the gardens, which were neglected over the years. Anyhow, very shortly after Mandela was released (days after) he called the Schneiders and wanted to know if he could visit the home. They welcomed him in, but on two conditions - no Mrs Mandela and no pictures to expose their family's privacy. That was done, although a Reporter was present and the visit was reported, but in newspapers abroad! Mandela became a regular visitor to the home since his first visit and had several meals with our friends. The Schneiders are devout Christians and shared their Faith with Mandela as well - apparently he listened attentively. He told the children that some weapons were buried on the grounds and needless to say, my son and his friend spend many hours with spades, digging up the grounds for that 'treasure'! Thank God it was never found (or I think Mr Madela only had this as a joke in mind - he really is fond of children). The property was later bought from the Schneiders by the Mandela Foundation and became a Guest House.

Matisse
P.S. jou "vierkleur" is bedoel om rooi te wees...nie oranje nie. :censored:

Mmm, miskien raak die Boere nou kleurblind! :holy:

He told the children that some weapons were buried on the grounds and needless to say, my son and his friend spend many hours with spades, digging up the grounds for that 'treasure'! Thank God it was never found (or I think Mr Madela only had this as a joke in mind - he really is fond of children).

Or perhaps not. The Lilliesleaf Trust also searched for Mandela's gun - see here.

Edited by Matisse

dieulefit

Matisse, I am sure, even if this was true, any weapons buried on that property (and I have visited that place many times) would have been destroyed by the previous owners (that is the now, the owners with whom Mandela lived). They knew the consequences to that, I am sure! There are enormous trees on the property - it could be underneath tree roots even - Mandela was in jail for many years, IF it was left buried. So, I agree, it is going to be looking for a neelde in a haystack.

It reminds me of a different story, but equally the same, come to think of it! My husband knows a lady here in Toronto who has a pipe that belonged to Pres Kruger. Her family got it from Pres Kruger a long time ago and always kept it - very interesting story behind this pipe and I can share it with you some time. Nevertheless, they still have it, with a newpaper article mentioning why the pipe went to her family and how it almost went back to South Africa again!

Charles

Hmmmm!

I read that IOL article with interest.

The most important fact arising out of all the comments made with regard to looking for the pistol seems to have been lost on everyone.

If my memory serves me right millions of people around the world were brainwashed into believing that Mr.Mandela was merely a poor politician who was thrown into jail by the nasty white racists for being an uppity black. He wasn't involved in any struggle and had no bad intentions?

So why do I find the following two comments to be particularly eye opening?

"It is important because it may be the first piece of hardware given to Mkhonto weSizwe in the liberation struggle and the fact that it was given to its commander in chief makes it even more significant," Wolpe said.
The gun, an Eastern European-made Makarov, was a gift to Mandela by an Ethiopian colonel, Biru Tadesse, after Mandela went to Addis Ababa to undergo military training in 1962.

I wonder how many of the local whiners would explain that one?

dieulefit

Harry, you have us going here friend! In between hanging and moving curtains (to make space for new ones to come....) Klerk and I took breaks (ice cold beer in hand ;) , sitting in our sun room and pretend it is summer (believe me, in my sun room it IS!), reading through your work. We are indeed learning a few things we did not know and also reminded of things forgotten! Exciting! We have done our chores for the day and are heading for the hot tub now.. one last sun downer in hand and are going to read a few more chapters of this, fascinatingm piece you have put together! We belong to a very intellectual Book Club (quite a few surgeons and smart business people in the group - I think I am perhaps :holy::D the least educated amongt them all :o , but my idea is (seeing we are the next to present a 'book' for the group) to present Harry's work for discussion ;) . Can not WAIT!! It is going to be VERY interesting, to say the least.... . So many of our Canadian friends always have this and or that to say about South Africa and Afrikaners... will shut them up now for good!! Thanks Harry - you deserve OUR Nobel Price here! Seriously, we can see that, not only did your precious time go into this, but your heart and soul too - much appreciated and again - you need to think BOOK here, friend.

sskies for all the sspelling errors here.... not the sundowners :censored: , but hubby is calling from the hot tub! Got to run..... .

Harry

I hear you, Dieulefit.

Folks keep telling me that, but my life seems way too ordinary to justify a book, and the other facts I used are available easily to all, unless they insist on not knowing. Afterall, copyright merely subsists in the written expression of the work, not in its facts.

If I have succeeded in reminding people of who exactly they are and why they may stand proud, but have also ensured that they can see what went wrong or right, then I have done my thing.

CharleneK
I think Afrikaners are intelligent and articulate enough to make their case to the world. They do not have to consort with racist and far right groups to be heard.

Amen, Harry. Cathy and most of us are trying to prove to the world that the average Afrikaner is not a far right, racist lout. That's why she sent that letter to the National Post in response to their article about Afrikaners.

Those radicals would be well advised not to attempt to hijack "The Loerie" for their purposes.

Charlene

Gawie

Harry,

I totally understand and appreciate your position/view and this was not my intention.

The only movement I am a member of, is the Orania Movement and should you believe us to be far right racists, I recommend you go have a read on Orania's website under the "In Diepte" section.

Hopefully, that would be enlightening - just as you plead with the Americans and Canadians to get their facts straight before condemning the Afrikaner - I recommend you do the same about Orania. Please don't use the Huisgenoot as a source on the theory and philosophy behind a Volkstaat.

The demographics of South Africa is a reality, the Afrikaner is a distinct people, who is an ethnic minority in their own country and self determination has got nothing to do with racism, it is the way to protect ourselves in a country where African nationalism enforces the same measures of Anglicisation as the old British Empire - this is also a fact and reality. See it as a second trek, if you must.

You should find it interesting to know that the Northern Cape was identified partly because moving there would have the least disturbances on the current African and Coloured population.

How does a South African confederation of cultural states - with certain metropolitan grey areas - operating on the same basis as the European Union, sound?

I wonder what the Quebec French would say if they hear you claim that autonomy for a cultural group is far right.

Sorry for this political tangent, but I feel you forced my hand.

To come back to my first question - I understand your view and will respect that, I will therefore not upload it on my intended website (claiming that the current situation in South Africa is sufficient justification for cultural autonomy in that the native peoples of South Africa - Afrikaner included - should get some protection from this Anglo-Xhosa cultural imperialism).

However, although I give my word not to use it for these purposes, your book is in the public domain now and others can quote from it to suit their own agenda. I can't see how you can stop this - as intellectual property manager I believe you must be aware of this - as long as they quote you as their source you can't stop them.

People quote Hitler and the Bible everyday to support their own political goals (whether they agree with their source or not and whether the source agrees with their views or not) - there is nothing that you can do to change this.

Oranians have the same problem. We would say what we say and along comes a group and post one monthly newsletter (that somewhat support their views) on their website. Although we don't agree with their views, we can't stop them to refer to us and make comments (for Orania or against us) based on our literature. At the end it is up to the reader to make sure that what he is told by the current website, is in fact in line with our policies.

Although not an IP specialist, I am a practising corporate/commercial lawyer in London.

So all the best of luck with your projects in the future and sorry for hassling you and the other forum members with this. I still believe it was a good book nonetheless.

Boeregroete vanuit 'n baie Engelse Londen.

Gawie

Gawie

Terloops, die vlag wat ek geplaas het is nie die ZAR vierkleur nie maar die Vryheidsvlag.

Lees gerus hier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Afrikan...ryheidsvlag.svg

en hier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkstaat

Die provokerende en uitlokkende plasings spyt my - vryheid van spraak beteken tog dat ook die met minder "gewilde" sienings ook hulle opinies kan lug.

Niemand wou "When the loerie sings again" hi-jack nie - lees gerus my eerste pos - ek het toestemming kom vra. Spesiaal hiervoor by die forum ook aangesluit.

Hoe jammer dat daar soveel antagonisme is jeens sommige Afrikaners se vreedsame pogings om kop bo water te hou in 'n land wat net meer en meer agteruitgaan en die ANC se ondersteuning net toeneem met elke verkiesing.

Indien mense verskil van Orania of ander "avant garde" politieke pogings om hond haar af te maak - kristiseer d.m.v. feite, moet asseblief nie met breë kwasse van verdagmakery verf nie. Alle Afrikaners hier behoort te besef dat om "rassis" en "ekstremis" vir alles te skree nie die probleem oplos nie en ook nie konstruktiewe kritiek is nie, maar eerder as "ignorance" ge-eien kan word.

Ek is nie hier om moeilikheid te maak of enigeen aan te val nie - die Afrikaner het verskeie politiese klemverskille en ook glo elkeen hiervan is 'n bousteen van ons identiteit. Daarom respekteer ek elkeen se siening alhoewel ek dalk hewig daarmee mag verskil.

Dit wil ongelukkig voorkom asof sekere verskille nie op hierdie forum geduld word nie en dit is baie jammer. Nie een van ons het die oplossing nie en om die Afrikaner as volk van Afrika te laat voortbestaan sal ons strategie moet kan gesels.

"One-liners" is ook meestal meer afbrekend as opbouend en daarom word die "Boere is seker nou kleurblind ook" nie waardeer nie, terwyl die opmerking ook juis eerder op oningeligtheid dui.

Dankie vir die voorreg om tog op hierdie forum te kon skryf, alhoewel ek die idee kry dat my insette nie welkom sal wees nie.

Sterkte met julle pogings om van Suid-Afrika 'n beter plek te maak - ek sal met myne maar elders voortgaan - ek wil nie die lewe vir julle hier onsmaaklik maak nie.

Boeregroete en mag die Here ons almal seën en mag ons verskillende denke die bewys wees van ons moontlikheid om vir onsself te dink en dat ons nie net ander na-praat nie.

Gawie

Cathy K

Gawie, jou betrokkenheid by die volgende webwerf het vir my persoonlik die gevaarligte laat flikker.

Wat hiervan?

SACanadaforum is hoofsaaklik begin om Suid-Afrikaanse emigrante van elke ras, klas en kleur se aanpassing in die vreemde te vergemaklik. Jy sal sien dat die grootste gros afdelings konsentreer op verskeie vorme van hulp aan hierdie mense.

Baie van ons is Afrikaners, wie se harte breek oor wat tans in Suid-Afrika gebeur. Min het hoop dat daar plek in ons mooi Vaderland is vir Afrikaners of Suid-Afrikaners van enige groep wat nie deel van die swart meerderheid is nie. Die flagrante propaganda om ons te verkleineer, swart te smeer, en uit te skakel, is die hoofrede vir Harry se skrywe. Ons wil dat die res van die wêreld besef dat Afrikaners nie rassiste is nie en dat die meeste skendings van menseregte, die moord en doodslag en die korrupsie nie deel van ons gewone ouens se opset is nie.

Ek, soos baie ander, voel dat Harry se pragtige uiteensetting wyer bekendstelling regverdig. In daardie verband is ek van plan om dit onder die aandag te bring van groot geeste soos Isak de Villiers.

Cathy K.

Edited by Die Kotzé's