Sign in to follow this  
Cathy K

Canadian shops and malls.

Cathy K

I think those still in South Africa might be interested in how and where we do our shopping.

Karen mentioned it elsewhere: in Canada a sale means you buy everything for at least 50% less. You can pick up some really good bargains at end of the season sales. Sales are usually in the form of side-walk sales and everything is displayed outside the shops, department stores and supermarkets. You pick....and pay at the till inside.

Sidewalk sale.

406897603_10b84c5239.jpg

One shop entrance

406897470_85ae3e8b71.jpg

Compost, plants, garden furniture, etc are routinely stored outside the shops. I have yet to see 'n security guard guarding the stuff.

Now, let's be honest: how long will all that merchandise outside Save-On remain there in South Africa?

Cathy K.

Heinrich

Isn't it amazing how one gets so used to these scenes and take them for granted? I have indeed wondered who checks that no theft takes place. There must be some form of surveillance camera in place. Just the other day a man was chased down the street and caught for robbing Superstore in Brandon. But that is the rare exception.

Wesley

Usually at the bigger chains like the above they have under cover loss prevention officers walking around pretending to shop but they're really monitoring any shoplifting/theft.

I worked briefly as an LPO before. Theft happens all the time at these places, just not on the scale that it would in SA.

Charles

You also forgot to mention that they catch most of the thieves here in Canada as well!

When I worked for the Wally Market Reich we got hit on a regular basis and we caught them on a regular basis as well!!

Perhaps the apprehension of miscreants is the major difference between S.A. and Canada?

Breytie

It is amazing how calm people react when an alarm goes on shoplifting. I witnessed a guy, walking out of a store (without paying & the alarm went off). THe cashier, called him, not raising her voice too much. Called a second time - then took his license plate #, walked back in the store & phoned the police.

The database of the police is up to date. The always verify your telephone #, your address, and keep the information up to date. It seems to me that the staff are well trained in situations as such.