Sign in to follow this  
skittles

Appliances

skittles

Hi you lot! :unsure:

Have not been on here for ages, been busy sorting stuff out this side!!

Anyway, could I have help on this topic??

Did all of you bring your appliances, eg washing machines, dishwashers, hair dryers, tv's etc... or did you all buy new ones in Canada?

I am not sure if the voltage is the same as the States which i know is different, if so then it means i have to get rid of all my appliances and gadgets etc.

Thanks in advance... :(

Guest Barbara

The only appliance we brought was my 25 year old elna sewing machine that I run on a tranformer here. The voltage is different. Houses here come with the major appliances.

Cathy K

Most of the time when you buy a house, the washer, dryer, dishwasher, stove, and sometimes even the fridge and microwave are included in the sale. Many homes also have built-in vacuum cleaners.

Cathy K.

Jean C

When we moved here a year and a half ago we brought our Hi-Fi, Computer, printer, lamps, hot tray, TV and video recorder. Most of them had a switch to change from 220V to 110V. The TV and video recorder have been wonderful as we can watch all our videos from SA (have some family videos and movies) and family still send us videos from there that we can then watch here. It meant a lot to our children (6 and 8 years) to be able to watch their videos from SA, once our container arrived. The lamps had to be rewired and we ended up getting new lamp shades here so could of left our lamp shades in SA. We use a transformer for the hot tray and I am SO glad that we brought it.

I thought that having to buy all new appliances would be fun but found it a drag. There was so much else that we needed to do in those first few months and not knowing prices and the best places to go to made it more difficult. In the end we went to Sears and bought most of the small stuff (toaster, kettle, microwave etc) and got it done.

I think that there will always be stuff that you wished you brought and stuff that you could of left behind. That is the reality of such a big move.

All the best with the sorting. It is a great time to get rid of all the clutter.

Jean

dieulefit
Hi you lot! :unsure:

Have not been on here for ages, been busy sorting stuff out this side!!

Anyway, could I have help on this topic??

Did all of you bring your appliances, eg washing machines, dishwashers, hair dryers, tv's etc... or did you all buy new ones in Canada?

I am not sure if the voltage is the same as the States which i know is different, if so then it means i have to get rid of all my appliances and gadgets etc.

Thanks in advance... :(

Please do NOT bring appliances like washers and dryers, microwaves... I told my sister NOT to bring hers - she did and within the 1st month had to replace them ALL! It is not worth it and in that space, she could have brought something else of much more worth. (They had a x-South African electrician, doing everything right, but these machines packed up, regardless! They could have blessed someone in South Africa with these items in stead.)

johankok
Pbut these machines packed up, regardless! They could have blessed someone in South Africa with these items in stead.)

Exacly what we had moving from Mozambique to Malaysia -- Wshing Machine's motor packed up, and the freezer had it.... worst is that the christian school that was established in the house we lived in badly wanted it... Sometimes one should know when to give

skittles

Thanks for that, but bearing in mind i have been in the UK for 11 yrs now, so alot of stuff was canned when we got our container over here.

One question, can you use a transformer for all the electrical appliances, eg, toaster, i have a sewing machine and overlocker, would hate to get rid of those?

Will show this to hubby so he can see..

Thanks

:D

Ann

Skittles, I think that the simple answer to your question would be that you cannot use a transformer for all electrical appliances. There are a couple of important factors, i.e. the wattage an appliance uses as well as whether it has a motor. Apparently the difference in hertz here affects the motor, causing it to run faster thereby shortening it's life span

I brought my mother's Elna sewing machine which uses 75 watts of power. The typical step-up transformer seems to only be about 50 watts. So the closest I was able to find was a 250 watt step-up transformer at Radio Shack. It is a heavy chunky device about half the size of a pop-up toaster. It wasn't cheap either. It cost over $100. I can't remember the exact price but I do recall that the salesman was trying to tell me that I could get a basic sewing machine for not much more than the price of the transformer. But partly because it has sentimental value, being my late mother's sewing machine and also that it is a Swiss Elna, which they don't make anymore, I had to get a transformer for it.

So it might be OK to bring your sewing machine and overlocker. However I really wouldn't bother bringing a toaster, kettle etc. They are really quite cheap here. You could walk into a thrift store with only $10 in your pocket and walk out with both a toaster and kettle.

Edited by Ann

dieulefit

Good advice from Ann! One item you really all SHOULD bring with and I am absolutely so glad I did bring mine - if you have a hot tray (Hostess), bring it with! I just changed the plug of mine and whola! NO transformer needed, working like a charm and in use EVERY single day! The stoves here do NOT have a warming drawer, unless you buy one and pay for it EXTRA (which I now did for my new stove in my farm house - would have love an AGA, but they are running around $12 thousand for the stove I am interested in :D and seeing that it is now just the two of us.. I do not think so!) There is just no other stove (in my mind) than an AGA and if I ever renovated a kitchen again - I will for sure put one in. NB! Your floor has to be specially made stronger to withold the weight of such a heavy stove! Very important!

Appliances here are just the best, best, best - I am replacing my dishwasher, which is a Miele, with a dishwasher that is divided into two drawers - again, because it is just the two of us in this household and it is taking me more than a week to fill my dishwasher! (I am giving mine to a friend who is in need of a new dishwasher.) You get a steam oven, by MIELE, the size of a Microwave and it replaces the Microwave totally - wish I found this one out before I've purchased my new microwave/convection oven! You actually do not need an oven if you have one of these - they cook with steam and you can even do boiled eggs exactly the softness and or hardness you want them! Veggies have never tasted this good and you need absolutely no spices! I just fell in love with this and in my mind is a must and NOT a gadget! (Know what I mean by gadgets ;) )

Then, if you have (and this one is still on my wish list) a Miele Coffee System - oh my word... it is just thee best (expensive though :D and I just desire one, will not get one though!!). I have a great refrigerator and had one in my previous house too - totally think there is no other refrigerator than a Sub-Zero and because my farm house has no basement, I have a Sub-Zero wine cooler that holds over 60 bottles of wine - you can get ones triple the size, but tripple the prize too! Our everyday drinking wine is kept in my family room, where it is somewhat at room temp as well, but my wines that I like to age, are kept at exact temperatures for white wines (top half) and bottom half for the reds.

I can so recommend good appliances - please leave your appliances home! I have brought my Bernina sewing machine from South Africa and once again, I should have blessed someone with mine.. given me trouble here and I am using a great (very reasonably priced) sewing machine that I bought for my daughter and does everything my expensive Bernina could do! So, on my next trip back to South Africa, I am taking my Bernina and it will be going to some Church to be given to a special lady who can use it more than I can.

You know, this is all well meant advice and it goes the same for furniture - my opinion, in any way. If you have good pieces of furniture, bring it with! If not and you have space in your container and some money you can spare, buy something really special - you will treasure that forever and it is something from South Africa! I occasionally walk into a home of South Africans and seeing a distressed Buffalo leather couch and or a beautiful tambotie armoire and or stinkwood chairs, a riempies-bankie .... it is who we are! Hopefully our children will carry on this tradition and not have a garage sale once we are gone... . Appliances are just hard items, making our lives easier, right!

Ann
One item you really all SHOULD bring with and I am absolutely so glad I did bring mine - if you have a hot tray (Hostess), bring it with!

That is so true. My aunt regrets that she didn't bring her hot tray. They don't seem to be so readily available here. Eatons used to have them but I don't know where else one might find them.

Edited by Ann

Cathy K

Eatons used to have them but I don't know where else one might find them.

At almost every garage sale! :D I got three almost brand-new ones for less $10. Each cost me between $2 and $3.

Cathy K.

Talya

Not the same as the lovely big 'trolley' type though. I really miss mine! The little ones take up too much counter space :D