Sign in to follow this  
Louis & Marion

Our timeline

Louis & Marion

I'd thought I'd give short timeline, and maybe update as things happen...

April '06: Job interview in Johannesburg

late May'06: Offer made

early July '06: Company applies for HRDC approval

28 October '06: Approval given by HRDC (in Regina, SK)

2 November '06: Apply for work visa's - told 8 to 10 weeks.

17 November '06: Go for Medical

28 December '06: Visa's issued

01 January '07: Arrive in Saskatoon via Toronto and Frankfurt, staying in company accomodation

11 January '07: Get Social insurance

12 January' 07: Open bank account

17 January' 07: Buy vehicle with finance

31 January '07: Start PR application through Provincial Nomination - company pays for immigration

consultant.

I'll keep you updated as things roll along...

jpd

Louis/Marion, good to see you guys are getting settled. I was on the same aircraft from Frankfurt to Toronto as you on new year's day. Best wishes!

Edited by jpd

Moonstones

Ah, another one going the Provincial Nomination route through Saskatchewan!

I hope to join you guys in Sask sometime this year :blink:

They received my application on 05 July 2006. Still waiting :(

Louis & Marion

All our paper work filled in, checked etc.

The provincial nomination forms will go to Regina in the next couple of days. Once we have that (however long that takes), the federal paperwork can be sent.

Keep y'all updated.

Louis & Marion

After arriving, we decided that Marion should also apply for a work/study visa. That application was sent away about mid-February. Today she got both in the post! The work visa 'rides' on mine, and is approved for any employer...

Dedré

Nice Stuff! Good news then hey? What will Mrion study and where?

Edited by Dedré

Louis & Marion

She said on her application "she wants to explore her options".

Louis & Marion

Quick update: Still waiting for the pnp doc's, but moved into our own house this last week. We already signed the offer in Match, but possession was only the first of July. It is actually in a little town about 20km outside Saskatoon - could afford a bigger house there on a larger lot. But in this crazy Saskatoon property market, its value had already appreciated by nearly 40% by the time we moved in!

Also we finally saw our stuff after 13 months - some small items broken/lost, but mostly ok. Gas / electricity / water / telephone / satellite (no cable there) was ready as promised by Saskenergy/ Saskpower/ Town council / Sasktel / Bell Express.......

The house was cleaned by the previous owner, but the yard has not been touched since the winter.

Louis & Marion

Received our Provincial Nomination today - now for the Federal leg! The PN took almost exactly 6 months...

Louis & Marion

So, after Fedex lost - yes lost - our Police Clearance Cert's, our PR application only went in around mid-November. The projected wait, as per the immigration folks, is 6 months (remember, this is with Provincial Nomination). Meanwhile, we got our extended workpermits back today - this time for 2 years.

All in good time...

natalieh

Hi Louis and Marion,

Did you apply through Pretoria and if so have you had your AOR and medical requests yet?

Edited by natalieh

Louis & Marion

Ok another update: Got aletter the other day, dated 29 April '08, stating that our PR application has been provissionally accepted, and the interview waived. It asked for the medical examinations to be done, which the two of us then had this morning (children to follow next week). Seems that for PR applications through the PN route, Pretoria is actually faster than Buffalo. Will let y'all know when the PR finally comes through.

cherylstorm

Ok another update: Got aletter the other day, dated 29 April '08, stating that our PR application has been provissionally accepted, and the interview waived. It asked for the medical examinations to be done, which the two of us then had this morning (children to follow next week). Seems that for PR applications through the PN route, Pretoria is actually faster than Buffalo. Will let y'all know when the PR finally comes through.

[/quot

So happy to ehar another family has made it to this part of the world. How many children do you have and how old are they. are they adapting well?

Oh yes, how long have you been in Canada?

Louis & Marion

We've been in Canada since 01/01/07. We've 3 kids (10,9,7) and they're adapting very well - friends, school etc. But that is in small-town Saskatchewan, and, as a family we've made all the efforts to integrate, and avoid being the perpetual outsiders. That is a very basic descision - a mental one - not to always be the South Africans living in Canada, but to be new Canadians. And it is paying off....

johankok

Great to hear from both the Moonstones and Louis & Marion and that all is going well. - Just had a rude awakening that my snails pace application is not that far down the line anymore, with Lawrence's interview arrangements.

cherylstorm

WE are in the US for now. Our little ones have also ajusted very well. It is such a wonderful feeling to see them ride with friends on bikes down the road. I never allowed it in SA. I still check up on them every now and then, but I am not paranoid anymore!

natalieh

Any news on your PR yet? I'm watching your timeline with bated breath as our application went in on May 14th and we're still waiting for medicals.

Louis & Marion

Got a notification today that out PR status has been approved ( :huh::):) !!!!!)

natalieh

Congratulations!!!!!!

Tokkie B

Excellent news - Congrats.

:huh:

Moonstones

Congrats! :huh:

Flip & Ilana

Do you guys still have to do a border-crossing? I'm just wondering, with the new legislation and all.

Liz

Congratulations!!

Louis & Marion
Do you guys still have to do a border-crossing? I'm just wondering, with the new legislation and all.

No - We send our passports out of the country, they stamp it and all that, and if you reside in Canada, it comes back in a diplomatic bag - or so the form says.

DANIEC
Got a notification today that out PR status has been approved ( :rolleyes::lol::P !!!!!)

We are also waiting for our pr approval. We did medicals in July 08. Just wonder how you guys were notified. Post or e-mail? :)