Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barbara

I was told at work: "Immigrant go home"

Guest Barbara

A new man started at work today he is in his early 20’s. He started a conversation today by saying he is sick of immigrants and we should all go home. He then attacked me verbally and said I am a racist because all people from SA are racists. He said the white people in SA only have gates and fences to keep black people out of our houses. I gave up trying to talk to him because he didn’t want to listen. I ended up walking away.

I was and am still very upset. I have made great Canadian friends and I know this is only one young twit. But it was hurtful and I must have had my head in the clouds because I thought I would never experience this.

Until today I have felt nothing but acceptance and totally welcome here in Canada by Canadian’s. In fact I have always been amazed that they are so willing the share their land with us. A land I have truly come to love.

Thank goodness he will be on the road a lot so I won’t have to see him at work every day.

My good Canadian friend said ignore him he is a young red neck. My Canadian friends have all asked about life in SA and are interested to know what I believe and think.

Sorry just needed to rant. It was all a bit hurtful.

• Like 1

Adele

What he did is actually illegal and you can make a compliant with your HR department. If you have any 'clout' (which I am sure you do) then you can have him fired. Show him which immigrant not to mess with.

I also had that experience, but I never worked for the company. I was a paying client. I let his employer know and as I had become a 'regular' and I threatened discrimination charges against him and the company if he was not disciplined satifactorily. The 'wise Alec' was sent packing the same day.

Unfortunately the young twit, picked on me after a bad day of abuse from other immigrants, but he picked on the wrong person as I was in just as foul a mood. ;)

My husband has also had it happen from paying patrons at his present employment and in his previous employment with Telus.

So, rant away, we know how you feel.

• Like 3

Harry

Barbara,

this is serious....go directly to your HR department. He can kiss his career in that company goodbye...you can be pretty sure of that. Get him out of your space and get him out now.

Do it first thing tomorrow morning. Formally complain. This is harrassment. DO NOT MAKE LIKE A SOUTH AFRICAN and just swallow it. Do NOT have the "ek sal maar die minste wees" attitude. In this country complaining about this kind of thing WORKS. This tends to be a zero-tolerance thing.

Sometime in the future he can come and thank you for recalibratng his career options. By then he will have grown up.

>DO NOT PLAY WITH THIS KIND OF THING.

>NAIL IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY AND NAIL IT DOWN HARD

>DOCUMENT EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID.

>DO NOT LET TIME PASS, IT WILL COUNT AGAINST YOU.

By the time you have filed that thing, it will be up for grabs as to who will be more in awe of you...your HR department or this little dipstick. Don't act angry. Don't act hurt. Be firm and serious.

• Like 3

Adele

Great advice Harry, I totally agree with you.

Barbara, you may even be doing this company a favour! This young man needs to realize that HIS country consists BECAUSE of 'US' immigrants! His company has realized it by hiring YOU! So follow Harry's advice and get on it. Don't take it!

I don't anymore, but when we did in the beginning because of the mentality Harry talks about it only got US laid off! Now I fight back as I have mentioned above.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Liz

I agree with Harry, Barbara. Take it up with HR first thing in the morning. It is NOT (to be) tolerated at all!

Guest Barbara

Thanks guys. Harry that is exactly what I will do first thing this morning.

dieulefit

Ai-jai-jai-jai-jaaai! You got really good advice and ja, he can be sooooo glad he talked to YOU and not one of us!! He would not have a head if he talked to me like that! Unfortunately, like Harry said, some of us (South Africans) like to turn the other cheek..... . Looking forward to hear the end of this story and good luck!

CPU

Like others, get HR involved to talk to this young p**k and get his a** fired, how did this idiot get hired in the first place?

Edited by CPU

Guest Barbara

I put in a written complaint today and he was gone by 10 am.

Thanks for the good advice. He lasted just over 24 hours at the company.

Adele

I LOVE CANADA!! I think we all do more than some of 'it's' own unappreciative citizens of what they actually have.

This is hopefully a lesson that certain companies don't accept this type of behaviour.

Barbara, You showed your value to the company long before this immature, smug ignoramus not only showed his true colours but was probably not even finished with his schooling.

Way to go!!!!

• Like 2

Cathy

Go girl. Thanks for sharing this with us as it helps to understand different aspects of Canadian life. I would never have realised that one doesn't have to put up with stereotypical abuse in the workplace.

Maybe we should move this thread to Settling in so it doesn't get lost

johankok

Arrogance of the young twit had it... hopefully, second time round he would think twice, but I doubt --- it takes more than that to know your position in the community - spoiled brats take a while to learn.

Harry

Nicely done Barbara.

Now, when someone there asks you about this, you just simply play it down and do not make a noise about it. The message that they "messed with wrong Marine" will find its own way through the company. Just smile, and go about your business. If really drawn on it, just say it was a "very unfortunate affair".

Thanks for doing that. We all owe you for that.

You are well on your way to being a Canadian.

• Like 1

dieulefit

Great stuff and encouragement to all those 'softies' amongst us!

boeg
I put in a written complaint today and he was gone by 10 am.

Thanks for the good advice. He lasted just over 24 hours at the company.

WOW! That is amazing. You complain and something actually happens!

In SA, when your employee lies, steals and comes drunk to work you still have to give him three warnings, rehab, a hug, and three months salary before you even think of getting rid of the wretched creature.

Just as a sideline though, I know this little punk got his absolute just desserts, but how do employers prevent this power of complaint being abused? Can one make an unfounded allegation about one's colleague which leads them to be summarily dismissed?

Interesting.

Harry

I edited the title of this thread a tad and pinned in at the top of the sub-forum. I hope that is OK, Barbara. New immigrants should learn from this. This is a case of "Canada speaks".

Robert McGee

Barbara,

You did exactly the right thing. This is precisely the PC thing that I'm talking about. What this idoit did was very non-PC and he got what he deserved.

Harry, I'm not sure what you mean by "Canada speaks". I don't think this is typical at all; this is just a total @$#%$&&.

Smith007

Dear Brabara,

I noticed you landed in 2004.

This is very brave Barbara well done; if I may say: I feel that you are such a sweet person (given some of your posts) and given your limited work - time in Canada and knowing how difficult it is start (I am genralizing now) all over financially and one usually only has a your new employment to basically put food on the table in the early years.

Well done, I agree with Harry though play it down if asked

My Father and mother always said: There is a time and place for everything - so even though 20 yr old has his opinion he expressed it.......

I know I took some flak, and turned the cheek in the early years (non full time position) fortunatley though and mostly my complaint was of perceived favouritism etc

Edited by Smith007

Gautenger

Good on you Barbara, that was a brave thing to do. At least justice was served. It sure doesn't happen here :-(

West Works

Well done Barbara. Leone and I applaud your actions and are glad your employer took immediate action.

It is unfortunate that there are such small minded people amoungst us, given that Canada is a melting pot of all nations and the young man involved is not more than a couple of generations "Canadian" himself.

As a Canadian I salute you! And you as well Harry, for providing the best possible advice in this situation. Well done indeed.

Edited by westworks

Cathy K

We found this thread very interesting. I'm really glad everything worked out well.

There has been some curious and troubling incidences in our neighbourhood recently. The house of a Jewish South African doctor was sprayed with anti-semitic and pro-nazi slogans by some young kids. Another South African had his RV plastered with eggs and last week our home became a target. The Jack-o-Lanterns were smashed in our driveway and we came under an egg attack as well.

We sincerely hope this is just common mischief perpetrated by some errant youths........ <_<

Cathy K.

• Sad 1

Karen

Well done, Barbara, for getting rid of the bigot your company mistakenly hired.

My son is doing a post - grad course in HR, and it is amazing what he is learning about the hiring and firing process. The advice Harry gave you was excellent.

To everyone else out there, if anything like this ever happens to you in the workplace, remember to document the entire incident in writing in detail. If you are working in a unionised job ( as I am in teaching), talk to no one before you have contacted your union and filled them in on your side of the story, and then allow them to move forward in your best interests.

I was once told by a young upstart mental case of a teacher in a school that I had not washed his blackboard after using his classroom- not erased,but actually wiped it down with soap and water, which he expected me to do. He made sure the entire faculty knew I was a slob, according to him. I knew that I could report him to the union, but that would mean a long and protracted hearing, which I did not feel I wanted to waste my time and energy on, so I documented the incident, told the principal that if she did not take action, I would be contacting the union about the matter. Well, she did and the teacher was made to apologise and was transferred to another school as soon as he could be. He also never gave me another minute's trouble and stayed out of my way completely.

When in Canada, open your mouth if you are grieved in the workplace and open it wide. There is usually zero tolerance here for most things SA's take for granted and simply suck up and seethe about.

Cathy,

It sickens me to hear of such incidences, but they are not uncommon here, believe me.

One youngster here in Toronto, was caught by the cops after defacing a Jewish home, much the way you describe. The local rabbi apparently decided to educate rather than punish him and he was taken to the Holocaust Museum and given a lesson about Judaism. Later, he wrote a contrite letter apologising for his abhorrent behaviour and said that he would be doing volunteer work to benefit all people and he did not realise how hurtful his disgusting actions were.

Remember that kids only learn what they hear at home, and there are always racist bigots in every society in the world, sadly.

Harry
Harry, I'm not sure what you mean by "Canada speaks". I don't think this is typical at all; this is just a total @$#%$&&.

Robert, I meant that, in firing the young man, "Canada spoke". I'd like to think that is how folks read that.

It occurs to me, judging from your post, that you may have thought I was suggesting that the young man's comments represented "Canada speaks"......not at all. He was not being Politically Incorrect at all. He was actually plainly attacking/abusing Barbara in the workplace. So it seemed simple enough to me.

ChristineViljoen

Hi Everyone,

My husband had the same problem the other day. He was also told to go home and that all immigrants should get out of Canada by one of the guys he's working with. My husband just ignored him. I was upset when my husband told me as I know that he is an asset to the company. Any tips on how to answer a person like that? I hope we don't have to deal with this all the time <_<

Good on you Barbara. Glad you sorted out that young upstart. We just hope that this has taught him a lesson. What amazed me is the speed at which your company sorted this issue out.

<_< Regards