Sign in to follow this  
boeg

Nelson and thereabouts

boeg

Hi all

I didn't see a community page for the Kootenays so I am forced to conclude that there are not many X-Seffricans living out that way :rolleyes:

On the chance, however, that there expats living in Nelson, or who have lived or stayed there for any extended period, I would love a little insight into what life is like in what appears, at least on the webface, to be an extraordinarily charming little town.

I have seen Harry describe it as akin to Grahamstown, which really gets my blood pumping! The "G-spot", as some call it ;) , is my favourite place in SA: I could think of no better place to live and die.

Harry

Boeg,

I can tell you this.....it is absolutely beautifully situated and the town is very charming. It certainly has more cultural life than Grahamstown, but ( at least for me) it has that same feel to it, though minus the churches. It is great B&B country.

I have slept over there twice and have taken quite alot of pictures which I'd be happy to post. However, I think folks like Kriegler, who lives nearer those parts, could tell you more about life in Nelson.

You'd probably not be able to make a living from defending US draft dodgers interests. These days they are too old to be hairy hippies making leather belts. In that respect the place is like "Grahamstown meets the Grateful Dead" ( errr....alays assuming you know who that is....I have a bit of a headstart on you there).

It is Artsy Craftsy with "cool places to hang out" ( Grahamstown) and nominally OK places to eat, with the usual Art Festival and Craft Festival and Music Festival etc etc. Some more expensive B&B Places are situated up the slopes in suburbia, including a superb one run by two gay guys who do an absolutely superb job of it.

There is also the collection of folks who are of an earlier generation and who think the town was better "before these hairy creatures got here" ( Grahamstown again).

Next to the very beautiful river are all the commercial places, including most of the larger chains. You certainly have stuff ike Quiznos, and Dairy Queen ( at the northern end of town)....just thought I'd get that in :rolleyes: ! The road to the north of town is spectacular, as is the one south to Castlegar in Doukhobor country.

The big Negative about it, is that it is a seriously long way from anywhere across mountains that are snow-covered in winter and through spectacular country. After all, that's why people came to that part of the world to hide from authority. Take a look here. Also, in summer, it can become unbearably hot in those parts. We went through there in August 2005 at 38C!

All in all...a great place to live if you do not need quick access to a major metropolis, but it has its cultural issues. A Canadian lady friend suggests I particularly draw your attention to the fact that Nelson is also "Joni Mitchell meets Rosie o' Donnell"....a artsy fartsy place that is a major lesbian cultural centre in Canada.

boeg

Sounds too, too divine! However...

quote name='Harry' date='Nov 9 2006, 02:29 PM' post='65271']

You'd probably not be able to make a living from defending US draft dodgers interests. These days they are too old to be hairy hippies making leather belts. In that respect the place is like "Grahamstown meets the Grateful Dead" ( errr....alays assuming you know who that is....I have a bit of a headstart on you there).

This is the problem, of course. What does one do for a living? If, like Grahamstown, Nelson was a University town, I could re-immerse myself in academia. Sadly, I see no evidence of a significant tertiary education facility in Nelson.

All in all...a great place to live if you do not need quick access to a major metropolis, but it has its cultural issues. A Canadian lady friend suggests I particularly draw your attention to the fact that Nelson is also "Joni Mitchell meets Rosie o' Donnell"....a artsy fartsy place that is a major lesbian cultural centre in Canada.

I don't mind! My partner, however, may be in danger of having no 'damsels in distress' to rescue from leaky pipes and burnt-out bulbs! :P